logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rossif76  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 7:14:15 PM(UTC)
rossif76

Groups: Registered

As a sports broadcaster who has watched the YouTube demo of vMix, I'm excited to try it out. However, there seems to be a limitation that another user pointed out with respect to hockey scoreboards that I wanted to see if there is another valid workaround.

Specifically, I plan on using an SD shot of a basketball or American football scoreboard. For each, the intent is to create a score strip that does not require me to constantly update the clock, score, and other variables. For basketball, I'd want to place into the strip the live:

1) Visitor's Score;
2) Home Team's Score;
3) Time Remaining.

For American football, I'd want to place into the strip:

1) Visitor's Score;
2) Home Team's Score;
3) Time Remaining;
4) Down & Distance Remaining;
5) (If Possible) Quarter.

We normally do not have access to the actual scoreboard operation device, making the camera shot (using something like P-in-P or overlays) the only option generally. Is there a way inside or outside vMix to accomplish this? We are on a very tight budget broadcasting Division III College sporting events, so please keep this in mind. I appreciate any insight you can all provide. I hope there is a solution because vMix seems very powerful for our purpose.

- Frank
doggy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 8:37:38 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Multiple Variables in Scoreboard -- Options??
One option: say to position up to 4 seperate cutout bits of the scoreboard

-your scoreboard video input
-create virtual input of your scoreboard ( up to 3)
-add colour input (transparent)
-add your scoreboardinput and virtual inputs to the color input using the multiview
-crop ( to desired part of the board), resize and position each scoreboard and virtual input till you like the layout of the colour input (maybe even position this one too a bit)
- use color input as overlay for your footage or title or ....

uses up one overlay
just an idea, worked during my trial but not with my basic version :-( (transparent problem )
Guy
thanks 1 user thanked doggy for this useful post.
rossif76 on 2/10/2014(UTC)
rossif76  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 9:17:35 PM(UTC)
rossif76

doggy wrote:
Multiple Variables in Scoreboard -- Options??
One option: say to position up to 4 seperate cutout bits of the scoreboard

-your scoreboard video input
-create virtual input of your scoreboard ( up to 3)
-add colour input (transparent)
-add your scoreboardinput and virtual inputs to the color input using the multiview
-crop ( to desired part of the board), resize and position each scoreboard and virtual input till you like the layout of the colour input (maybe even position this one too a bit)
- use color input as overlay for your footage or title or ....

uses up one overlay
just an idea, worked during my trial but not with my basic version :-( (transparent problem )
Guy

Interesting idea. I'll likely be starting my trial once my Netstor Thunderbolt box arrives. The intent here for me is to use 2 or 3 720p (30fps) inputs for live action (all 2 or 3 cards being in the Netstor box), probably 2 video delay modules, the scoreboard SD camera discussed above, streaming the final product to Ustream. How badly would this all run on a MacBook Pro under Windows 7 (Bootcamp) with 2.0ghz i7 (Haswell), 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD and 480gb External SSD? Am I risking bottlenecking horribly in this setup, even with just 2 HD inputs?

Thanks for the idea, and if anyone has another idea, please feel free to include it. I know this is a challenge with my current setup, so critique away.

- Frank
illpicasso  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 10:18:02 PM(UTC)
illpicasso

My approach would be to create a scoreboard in the title designer. It will easily handle scores and times and probably even downs if you know how to set it up. Of course distance will have to be entered manually. Anyway using the web interface I would create shortcuts to start and stop the time, change the score and so on. You will need an additional person for this but it would be a more professional solution than just filming the scoreboard.
admin  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:31:15 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
This option also works with vMix:

http://sportzcast.net/
rossif76  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 1:40:46 AM(UTC)
rossif76

admin wrote:
This option also works with vMix:

http://sportzcast.net/

Doesn't Sportzcast rely on having a link to the scoreboard operation machine, though? We are usually far away from that in the venues from which we broadcast.
ZachSchuster  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2015 2:14:49 AM(UTC)
ZachSchuster

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Check out CGStatLink Lite- Football. Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but it works with vMix and, when the host site is using StatCrew, you can automate a lot of the status elements and just control the clock manually. The clock can get data from Sportzcast or ScoreOCR, too.

http://www.cgstatlink.com

UserPostedImage