logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sautez  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 2:42:39 PM(UTC)
sautez

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have read many post on the site about hardware and looks like many lean towards i9-9900X or higher.

I have not seen any info on what it takes to support a computer NDI system. Does anyone have any recommendations on hardware to build a pure NDI system?

I may have 1 SDI card in it for the ability to output a channel or 2 in a pinch but moving all my systems to NDI and want to build out a system for my larger events. I have a system that using SDI and that works fine but finding I now need to redesign for NDI.

Any thoughts, suggestion, or advice is most welcome.

Supporting camera system.

12 NDI inputs
4-8 NDI outputs
Multi-Recording of all Inputs + Program. (this might be second recording system)

Those are the basics. Imagine there is no real budget but give advice on if I bought a
i9-9900X
i9-9920X
i9-9980X
AMD 2950X
AMD 2990WX

SSD vs M2/M4

nvideo 2060 vs 2080Ti

If I have an idea where NDI needs the money spent I could budget it around the solution.

I will be building a 4 input 2 output NDI with other items I have working but those are easier to do. I'm now just looking for information on building the larger switcher and recorder or 2 different systems as required.

thank you in advance.

thanks 1 user thanked sautez for this useful post.
Ario on 1/30/2023(UTC)
jacklavey  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 6:58:07 PM(UTC)
jacklavey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I7 7800x (400$ newegg) would be my recommendation to give yourself 28cpu lanes vs a K series processor which will only have 16 lanes.

With the 28, 16 of those lanes will be dedicated to your RTX2060 (which is a great choice and sweet spot I think price to performance), leaving you with an additional 12 lanes to play with. Then I would add in a 4pcie lane 10gb ethernet card like the ASUS XG-C100C (100$) and pair that with a small 10gb switch like the netgear GS110MX (200$).

This will allow you to connect multiple NDI sources to the switch at 1GB a piece but then have a 10GB pipe to your computer alleviating any bottle-necking issues if you were to just connect all that to the motherboards 1GB ethernet port.

Then you have an additional 8 lanes to play with, could add an additional 10gb nic in the future, or maybe an 8 chan sdi card, or a 4 chan, but definitly your 1 chan sdi card will be fine, but at least you'll have room for some expansion. I personally do the decklink quad 2 for 8 sdi channels, and then I swap between a decklink duo 2 (for 4 more sdi channels) or the 10GB ethernet if I'm doing more NDI based stuff.

Unless you're using almost all NDI HX devices which will compress your ndi signals down to 8-20mbps, your NDI sources will all be coming in and out at 80-120mbps, and you're going to end up needing a bigger pipe to get all that data through.

Do the M.2 for your operating system (250gb should be plenty if you want to stay cheap). Then add SSD drives as needed for recording and put a hotswap bay in the front of you machine in the drive bay -- i put this ICY dock hot swap sdd bay(25$) in all my machines and it has been great - https://www.amazon.com/g...04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thanks 1 user thanked jacklavey for this useful post.
Ario on 1/30/2023(UTC)
sautez  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 1, 2019 1:06:27 AM(UTC)
sautez

United States

Thanks. I have a 10GB network already designed and hardware that I have been using. Fairly confident in that design.

My greater concern is the amount of NDI processing as I'm trying to avoid all SDI(except a fallback card. could be a 1-4 channel).

I have long cable runs and running a 10GB x2 (redundant) fiber from the stage area to production location will free up a lot of the issues with having to run 1000's of ft of redundant SDI currently. Also, not to mention, much easier to route signals to displays and various screens once the video is all IP based.

I have heard that even the fastest i9-9980X will have issues. This is my concern. As I have all Full NDI(not NDI/HX) as the new design and want to make sure it is possible.

Any experience with running that many NDI? Or less. The CPU to NDI channel chart is what I'm looking to learn. How many Full NDI sources can a certain CPU handle. Encode/Decode.

thanks for the suggestions on the other parts. I'll be looking at those.
GoldenTeeTV  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2019 10:30:55 AM(UTC)
GoldenTeeTV

United States

Originally Posted by: sautez Go to Quoted Post
Thanks. I have a 10GB network already designed and hardware that I have been using. Fairly confident in that design.

My greater concern is the amount of NDI processing as I'm trying to avoid all SDI(except a fallback card. could be a 1-4 channel).

I have long cable runs and running a 10GB x2 (redundant) fiber from the stage area to production location will free up a lot of the issues with having to run 1000's of ft of redundant SDI currently. Also, not to mention, much easier to route signals to displays and various screens once the video is all IP based.

I have heard that even the fastest i9-9980X will have issues. This is my concern. As I have all Full NDI(not NDI/HX) as the new design and want to make sure it is possible.

Any experience with running that many NDI? Or less. The CPU to NDI channel chart is what I'm looking to learn. How many Full NDI sources can a certain CPU handle. Encode/Decode.

thanks for the suggestions on the other parts. I'll be looking at those.

any update on this?
sautez  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2019 3:28:10 PM(UTC)
sautez

United States

Yes a bit.

I have been running a few test on new systems I have built.

I have the following that has worked well for 8 NDI cameras as input and 3 outputs to network and multi-recording(2 cameras) and master recording. I even made a funny mistake that worked to my pleasant surprise.

System 1.
AMD 3700X
32GB DDR4 3200
2TB PCI Gen 4 SSD (gigabyte)
1TB PCI Gen 4 SSD (giagbyte)
Nvidia 2070 Super
X570 AORUS MASTER

I forgot to adjust the recording quality on the first test and was recording 2 inputs. After an hour I had 2 1TB files of the recording. With NO flaws! The drive was full but the recordings were great. The drives handled just fine.

I also have now built a second system with

System 2:
AMD 3900X
32GB DDR4 3200
2TB PCI Gen 4 SSD (gigabyte)
1TB PCI Gen 4 SSD (giagbyte)
Nvidia 2080 Super
X570 AORUS MASTER

I haven't tested this one out completely yet and working on custom cases as these are on custom motherboard trays at the moment. The second system has an AIO water cooler while the first is standard Air.

If I remember after I get the cases built I'll post here my findings. I do plan on doing a full video on all NDI related tools I have use, how I designed the system and how I use it.

For now I do recommend the AMD 3700x and above. I'm even keeping an eye on the 3950X that is to come out as I have larger systems I plan to use those on in the coming year.

armin1  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2019 3:03:05 AM(UTC)
armin1

Serbia

hi,
im complyitly new in this world. im riding and riding
please help me.
i want to start recoding some smal teater with two cameras.
i was tink to do with extrimly chip ptz chine camras
is it someting like that posible
cameras have some softver for android and for ios "LiveYes"

any help please and i will noth bothering, everiting else i will find, just to not spend a maney for nothig
sinc747  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2019 7:27:57 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Originally Posted by: armin1 Go to Quoted Post
hi,
im complyitly new in this world. im riding and riding
please help me.

@armin1

Please start a new thread for your post. Your post will not receive any replies here.