logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MickeyMJJ  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2019 6:45:26 PM(UTC)
MickeyMJJ

Groups: Registered
France

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hello,

I come to ask you advice for a configuration of a video control and to evolve my equipment.

My occupation:
I am part of a non-profit organization that performs on geek / manga / anime / japanese culture / cosplay contest. So we do not have a big budget.
We make games on stage (PowerPoint), make choreographies with video. I'm in charge of the video management part of our performance stage niches, but as often on these conventions, I find myself doing the launches for everyone, all day. So I take care of launching their videos, their sound files, their images.

My current material:
ASUS laptop
Microsoft Surface Pro 5 that I use to launch games in PowerPoint and I send video and sound with Vmix Desktop capture.
These 2 Pc are connected to a Synology RT2600ac router.
Various smartphones (iPhone and Android) where I use NDICam or JustWifiCam applications that are connected in wifi on my router.

Here are my current needs:
When I animate video management on certain events, I try cool presentations with live effects. That is to say that while I throw things on the giant screen, I show for example what will happen later in the day (with a kind of popup with the name and a small video of the following programs ), I show small bubbles of comics (with text modified live) to react the public. I sometimes animate small concerts where I throw effects live when the artist does something special.
I use smartphones to film live either the public or directly on stage.
In the future, I plan to add a capture card for external video sources. Following the prices, I would like one day to have a camera located at the control room and which will film the scene to send this on Facebook / Youtube ...

On the current hardware where I use Vmix, I have almost 100 preloaded entries and it happens regularly where Vmix starts to slow down.
I am limited in USB port. I'm also limited in video output (there the screen of the PC is too small to see multiple inputs and I have only one video output that is connected to the giant screen.
For a transport and a simplified installation, I thought about a rack-mountable PC and a little flying caster type flying case (12U perhaps) where a maximum of thing would already be connected (power supply, router, PC ...)
Really sorry for this pavement, but I do not know which direction to go, all your advice is good to take.
As a non-profit association, we do not have big money. But if we improve, I may be able to claim better pay.
Thanks for reading me.
MickeyMJJ  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 8:51:58 PM(UTC)
MickeyMJJ

France

Nobody to teach me a little?
jacklavey  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2019 4:19:49 AM(UTC)
jacklavey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
sorry for someone just now seeing this,

can you post the specs of your current asus laptop. my guess is you just need something a little more powerful. building PCs is not only pretty easy but also fun if you've never done it, and there are some really cool rack mount PC cases out there that are in the same cost as a regular PC tower case.

I can send you a recommended parts list for sure, or a newer laptop recommendation if you prefer to stay mobile.

how much do you think you'd want to spend? under 2000? or closer to 1500?
thanks 1 user thanked jacklavey for this useful post.
MickeyMJJ on 4/13/2019(UTC)
MickeyMJJ  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2019 8:38:20 AM(UTC)
MickeyMJJ

France

Originally Posted by: jacklavey Go to Quoted Post
sorry for someone just now seeing this,

can you post the specs of your current asus laptop. my guess is you just need something a little more powerful. building PCs is not only pretty easy but also fun if you've never done it, and there are some really cool rack mount PC cases out there that are in the same cost as a regular PC tower case.

I can send you a recommended parts list for sure, or a newer laptop recommendation if you prefer to stay mobile.

how much do you think you'd want to spend? under 2000? or closer to 1500?

Thank you very much for your answer.

My laptop is ASUS VivoBook S510UN S (Intel Core i7-8550U 1.8GHz - 8GB - Nvidia Geforce MX150 - SSD 120GB - HD 1TB) but it begins to have a little trouble with VMIX on my last 2 events.

Today I tried to research the hardware that I can put on a new PC.
I thought about the following material:
- Intel i7-9700K Coffee Lake R LGA1151 3.6Ghz / 12M
- Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro
- Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 XMP 2.0
- CPU fan Noctua NH-U9B SE2
- ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1660TI-O6G-GAMING (OC Edition, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660Ti, 6GB GDDR6)

So much for the basics, but I'm trying to refine it because it may be a little overestimate of my actual need.

I would like not to exceed a budget of 2000 €, but I am already 1313 € with this, is I do not have the power supply, the box, and other device for my video control.

I made a diagram that resembles the general idea of ​​my project. (Except the cameras where I will never have enough budget ...)
https://ibb.co/dgd9rpp

(Excuse me for the translation with Google ^^)
MickeyMJJ  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2019 9:44:10 AM(UTC)
MickeyMJJ

France

I can’t edit on my mobile...
Erratum: 1500€ for the budget PC
jacklavey  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2019 5:17:06 PM(UTC)
jacklavey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Excellent Diagram! I definitely think your current ASUS is underpowered for what you're trying to do:

For 1500$ I'd recommend this: (however The Vmix reference builds are probably better resources, this is just my preference after having built with both a K series and X series processor trying to find "the sweet spot")

i7-7800x (28 lane CPU - this will allow you to add capture cards in the future)

cpu cooler - Noctua - NH-U9S (very similar to the NH-U9B just for 2066 socket) just need to make sure it will fit in server case.

MOBO - I'm personally using an MSI gaming pro carbon ac (miicro ATX board so it fits in smaller cases), but you'll want something that has at least 3 16x pcie slots so you can add some capture cards or a 10gb ethernet card later
example - MSI x299m gaming pro carbon ac

Memory - After talking with Tim from Vmix this past week, he confirmed that you really don't need more than 16GB of memory. I've always used 32, but I will be downgrading after hearing that and saving money here in the future. Also I've used both 2666 and 3000 memory and havn't seen a difference, maybe to play it safe go for like 16GB at 3000 Unless you need the 32GB memory for other things.
example - corsair vengeance lpx 16gb (2x8gb) ddr4-3000

GPU - I was just talking about testing the 1660ti but haven't gotten my hands on one yet. I've talked to a few people and some think the sweet spot may be the RTX 2060 (for newer cards) though I've had really good luck with GTX 1070 mini card as a sweet spot price wise. 1660ti though may be a great choice for the price point.

As for power, probably just go with something around 550watts with a gold rating and fully modular so the cables detach from the power supply (this makes it easier to build in your case)
example - seasonic focus plus gold 550w

For Storage, I use the samsung 970 EVO NVME drives for boot up storage (256-512gb), and the EVO 860 SSDs for larger storage (1-2 TB). both are cheaper than their "pro" counterparts. I've not tried lower yet but I suspect that you could probably dip down a bit lower if need be

On PCPartPicker it shows all of these parts together go for around 1300$ us, giving you about 100$ for a case and another 100$ for NVME or SSD storage.

As for cases, so far this is my favorite but I haven't purchase yet, but I've been wanting to get this one because of its smaller size and cheaper price.
https://www.newegg.com/P...e-_-11-147-263-_-Product

Also, if you don't already have one, put a network switch after your router so you NDI sources can pass through the switch instead of the router. I've seen routers freeze up and become unresponsive when too much NDI bandwidth passes through them. For now since its just the powerpoint laptop you should be good, but as you add more over time, you might end up with some bandwidth issues (sorry if you were already aware of this)
thanks 1 user thanked jacklavey for this useful post.
MickeyMJJ on 4/15/2019(UTC)
MickeyMJJ  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 16, 2019 7:45:12 PM(UTC)
MickeyMJJ

France

Sorry for not being able to answer earlier, but every time I post, I get the error "Your message was rejected because it was detected as SPAM!"

Edit: It works with seemingly shorter messages...
MickeyMJJ  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 16, 2019 7:59:11 PM(UTC)
MickeyMJJ

France

Hello,

Thank you very much for your answer.
This allows me to refine the necessary configuration.

Following your advice, I stopped at the following configuration:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7800X 3.5 GHz 6-Core
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.44 CFM
Motherboard: MSI - X299 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA2066​
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000​
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ​
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX

I arrive at a price of about 1580 €.
I will look for the best deals to reduce prices a bit.

For mounting, no worries on it.

For the network switch, even if I did not put it in my schema, I will plan to put one. A switch of 1Gb should be enough for the moment. the 10Gb is out of reach in price. It's just for a NDI signal from the laptop that will only send PowerPoint.
I'm using vMix Desktop Capture for this, but I'm experiencing some loss of animations a few times. I think the problem is that vMix Desktop Capture does not see a change and therefore does not refresh the NDI signal. In this forum, I have seen people using NewTek NDI Tools is apparently it was more reliable, so I will do tests.

When I have more finances, the next purchases will be priority for a small mixer, wireless microphones and a PTZ camera.
MickeyMJJ  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 16, 2019 8:06:51 PM(UTC)
MickeyMJJ

France

Here is my rack project
[img]https://ibb.co/bRXNxK3[/img]