logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HighViewSport  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:02:06 AM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Martin,

I have been thinking a lot about replays and how vMix uses the video delay feature for this.
Can I suggest another way to look at replays:

Setting the scene: Live production has started and record button has now been pressed. Recording live production !

OK, Rather then hit save button on the 20 sec delayed video input when say a goal happens (soccer). Have the ability to mark the time code for the in and out points of the play.
These time codes are now the points of reference for vMix to find the video from the main recording and then play the replay of the goal.

This would use less resources as the system is only making one recording instead of two recordings with the delay file
It also means we would never loss any time due to waiting for the delay video clip to save to disc. No more waiting or lost secs of video.

I would guess this could also be used for multi-camera productions, by using timecode to reference all camera angles at the same point for a particular play or action.
Now you can have a choice of which angle you want to watch the replay on or watch all the angles back one after another. It simply plays back the same reference time code points from different angles if you want.

Forgot to say:

How I see i working is:

When a goal for example happens. Wait till its all over, high fives player hugs etc. Mark out point. Scrub back in video with JKL keys or USB dial to where you want to start the replay, mark in point.

Now you can transition to that replay and control the speed of replay.
Now name that clip and drop it into a play list of your choice ready for use as replay or highlights video !!! Fun times :)

I see a lot of users out there do sports productions and talk about replays a lot.
Hope you can see the value for this addition and that it is a feasible feature for replays in vMix.

Cheers
Bryan

btw, as Doggly below has pointed out. This can be for tagging video for a actions like goals, shots, yellow cards, reds cards etc etc. Great feature. Lets hope it can be done!

doggy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:24:14 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Should really look into the TAGGING systems of videosportcoaching software for this.( as this is how they work: external reference file)
Beside just tagging goals for example , a whole range of actions/events can be tagged be it with preset durations or start /end triggers and doesnt matter if these tags overlap eachother. easely searched,filtered (team, player, type of action etc.)
Buttonpannels/shortcuts easely customized to your goal.

on another note , was wondering in how far it is feasabble during a recording to play back at the same time a (previous) piece of the video that is in the process of being recorded ?
admin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:00:44 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
This is ultimately the problem, very few recording formats allow playing back mid recording.

The only format that can currently do this is the MPEG-2 TS format.
In fact you can open an in progress .TS recording directly into vMix and use the
Mark-In Mark-Out feature to create a replay if you didn't get a chance to capture it in a delay input.

Be warned though, seeking through a recording from a hard drive may cause the current recording to drop frames.

Update: Tagging will be available as a shortcut in the final release of vMix 12.
It adds the timestamps to the recording log file when triggered.

It's possible vMix 13 could be setup to mark these tags as dots in the position bar so you can quickly find them
when opening a recording.

dundurs  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:36:59 PM(UTC)
dundurs

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 22 post(s)
We would also really welcome this feature. But only if SSD solves the problem, because dropped frames is a dealbreaker. Also I think that you really need to consider the minimum bitrate necessary for MPEG2-TS recording to have similar look to a live feed at, for example, 1920x1080 50p.

Dundurs
Rinsky  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:27:45 PM(UTC)
Rinsky

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Does anybody know what file format Newtek uses in their 3Play replay system?

Is it a mpeg2-ts file or more similar to that from Vidblasters replay system, which doesn't look like a normal video format at all.
Innomedia  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:48:22 AM(UTC)
Innomedia

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 10 post(s)
admin wrote:

Update: Tagging will be available as a shortcut in the final release of vMix 12.
It adds the timestamps to the recording log file when triggered.

It's possible vMix 13 could be setup to mark these tags as dots in the position bar so you can quickly find them
when opening a recording.

Hi Martin,

Tagging as a shortcut is great. Is it possible to name the tags related to the action (e.g. "Dunk #17" or "1-0 #35" or "Big save #1") ? In live sports production this will be useful to find the scenes very quick. A simple timestamp will be very confusing when having 20 or 30 tags per period.

Regards
Karsten
HighViewSport  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:17:37 AM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Martin,

I have confidence that you will work out a way for this to work :)
Seems lots of members are keen for this feature.

Tags, live scrubbing through video while recording.

Can't wait :)

Cheers
Bryan
admin  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 3:10:21 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
The shortcut will be called "WriteDurationToRecordingLog" and the Value box
can be used to specify a caption that will be written to the log next to the current duration.

This is the only feature that will be added to vMix 12.
All the other requests will be kept in mind but I should warn you there are already some big priorities for vMix 13, so no promises...
Bardos59  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 11:13:07 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

admin wrote:

..... I should warn you there are already some big priorities for vMix 13, so no promises...

Does this mean that we can see an almost rewrite with those features that some of us are requesting, or just some big changes?