logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WebcastFlorida  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 10:19:10 AM(UTC)
WebcastFlorida

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

If you sell a gig that's a bit of a distance away; a regular customer schedules an event on the other side of the country, do you box up the gear and ship it to the venue (UPS/Fedex),do you send it air freight, or do you make it a road trip? Insurance? Damage? Stolen gear? Costs? What are the pitfalls? What are the best solutions?
NiBTour  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2019 4:41:02 AM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
How much gear are we talking about? 90% of all my gigs are out of state and i carry with me 4x 70lbs pelican cases a backpack and a personable and I'm good. The only thing I've ever lost was a few monitors in the last 3 years. I've also looked at what i needed and said well SDI cable is the worst to travel with its bulky and heavy so i'll rent that and have it on site or i'll ship a container with all the c-stands or grappling gear and include that in the cost. Plus its cheaper for me to fly due to how i gain miles and with my status so i'm not paying extra for luggage with delta. If i do have a lot or fly with another airline i go early and inform them i'm broadcasting and they usually have reduced rates if you have credentials. aka a cool printed press looking pass and a business card is what they're looking for.

my amex covers my insurance.
WebcastFlorida  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2019 5:24:02 AM(UTC)
WebcastFlorida

Man
United States

I have my 15" laptop computer (V-Mix), 2 Sony x70cameras and a Panasonic Z10000, a 19" monitor, a file case cable box, three tripods, a small audio mixer (Q802) and my X-Keys.

A sports webcaster I talked to told me he doesn't trust shipping or airlines, so he bought a small trailer. I don't have that much gear. It all fits in the back of a Toyota Prius.

I appreciate your input. On reflection I think shipping and extra insurance could add a lot to my expenses and price me out of a job over any locals, and rental may not have cameras that I'm familiar with using.