logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CCWV  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2019 4:46:58 AM(UTC)
CCWV

Groups: Registered
United States

Hardware :
Allen & Heath QU-32 mixer

Computer Specs :

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x 3.8 ghz octo core processor
12 GB Installed RAM
AMD RX 570 Video Card 4GB GDDR5

Current setup :

L/R Audio out from back of soundboard using Mix 9/10 to the microphone jack on the PC.

I would like to use the USB/B Streaming port on the mixer to the back of the PC but looks like I would need to add each channel individually and send the audio to the master in vmix.

I have downloaded the ASIO Driver recommended by A&H but that is as far as their support goes.

Any Ideas to imporve audio?

Thanks
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2019 5:38:06 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CCWV Go to Quoted Post
Hardware : Allen & Heath QU-32 mixer

I would like to use the USB/B Streaming port on the mixer to the back of the PC but looks like I would need to add each channel individually and send the audio to the master in vmix.

I have downloaded the ASIO Driver recommended by A&H but that is as far as their support goes.

According to page 78 of the Qu Mixer User Guide you can assign (via Setup > Output Patch > USB Audio) all sorts of internal signals from the mixer to the USB connection:-
CH Mono channel (Insert or Direct Out)
ST Stereo channel (Insert or Direct Out)
FX Ret FX returns 1-4 pre-fader
Grp Group (Insert or post-fader)
Mix Mix 1-10 post-fader
LR pre Main LR mix – pre-fader
LR post Main LR mix – post-fader
L+R pre Main LR mono sum – pre-fader
MTX Matrix post-fader
PAFL Stereo PAFL monitor

All in all, it looks to be pretty flexible.
CCWV  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2019 8:18:32 AM(UTC)
CCWV

United States

So by setting the output patch would that confict with the QU-drive?

Also in vmix when I select the ASIO driver for my audio input I cannot select a range of channels, it only allows me to select ch1, ch2 so on and so forth.

Thanks
mavik  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2019 8:26:43 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
For my audio device I'm able to select what channel I want to add. If you need multiple channels you have to redo it for each. Alternatively you can mix them in the audio desk to a bus and import that bus instead.
Make sure you assign the bus to a USB channel in the setup.
fpinkerton  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 3, 2021 11:01:33 AM(UTC)
fpinkerton

United States

I have a similar problems using vMix and the Allen Heath QU-32 USB b for capturing the audio. I have a Windows 10 PC with all the latest updates from Windows. I also have the latest ASIO driver (4.86) from Allen & Heath. vMix receives audio from the "standard" L-R output of the mixer but I am unable to using any other mixes; i.e. "mix 5-6". I have followed the directions from A&H for mapping mix 5-6 to the USB b audio but vMix is not picking it up. I have also mapped other USB channels to the USB b but vMix only picks up the standard L-R output. Is there a more detailed control panel or setting within vMix to ensure I have mapped the correct channels in vMix and the A&H QU-32? vMix has many great video tutorials on most everything except how to set the audio input. Are there any plans to publish more details on this?
mtone  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 3, 2021 1:36:49 PM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
in vMix all you should need to do is select Add Input/Audio Input.. then under the Audio Device drop down select the ASIO driver for QU32 and then under Audio Channels select one of the 32 channel sends you want to receive from the mixer.. it should be as easy as just selecting 5-6 from that Audio Channels drop down ??

if that doesnt work it could be the routing setup in the mixer itself.. is it only vMix having problems or is it all software you try it with ? can you see all the QU32 channels in other ASIO software such as a DAW ?
fpinkerton  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2021 2:37:24 AM(UTC)
fpinkerton

United States

Thank you mtone but it's not quite that simple. For one the latest QU firmware (4.86) provides two drivers; "QU Stereo Out (QU-32)" and "QU ASIO Driver". Only if you choose "QU ASIO Driver" do you see the options for different channels; i.e. "Channel 1 In + Channel 2 In", "Channel 3 In + Channel 4 In" and so forth until you reach "Channel 31 In + Channel 32 In". Then you also have the option to use just one channel as in a mono connection. So, I choose the "QU ASIO Driver" and "Channel 1 In + Channel 2 In" as my audio input. Then I went to the A&H QU-32 => IO Patch => USB Audio and mapped Channel 1 to Mix 5 (L) and Channel 2 to Mix 6 (R). This should place the mix 5-6 on the USB b out for streaming. However, that didn't work. So, on the A&H mixer I mapped all channels on the USB Audio to mix 5-6. That did work but that only shows that simply choosing channel 1 & channel 2 in vMix and the A&H USB Audio does not work.

As for trying other software to see if I can map the USB b from the QU-32 to that software's audio input, I have not. However, I may do that if no one else has any other thoughts. Thank you.
mtone  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2021 10:38:07 AM(UTC)
mtone

when you route to USB 1&2 maybe the send point for mix 5&6 is post fader or post mute ? or something on that mix which is different to other channels and causing it to not send any audio ? or maybe FX as an insert which is preventing any audio output ? double check the fader is raised for 5&6 and the mute is off and there are no insert FX ? or maybe look for a setting which taps the outputs as direct out and not post processing..

if none of that gets you any closer and you try other software and it works then it suggests its a specific vMix issue. otherwise if you get the same result in other software it implies a setting in the mixer..
fpinkerton  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2021 12:51:06 AM(UTC)
fpinkerton

United States

Thank you mtone, you are correct, the channels were set to "post fade". Once I switched them to "pre fade", it was working. I went back to Patch I/O => USB Audio and remove the "mix 5-6" from all the channels except Channel 1 and Channel 2. So, for those reading this post, the summary is:

1. Make sure you have the latest firmware for the A&H QU-32, 4.86
2. In vMix, when adding an audio input, use the "QU ASIO Driver" and not the "QU Stereo Out (QU-32)"
3. Also, while adding the input, select the channels you want to receive the USB b signal from; ie. "Channels 1 & 2"
4. On the QU-32 mixer, under Patch I/O => USB Audio, assign your mix (ie. mix 5-6) to those same channels.
5. On the QU-32, select your mix and ensure all channels faders are set to "0".
6. Ensure all the channels from that same mix are set to "pre fade"

Thank you very much for your help mtone!
mtone  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2021 7:49:16 AM(UTC)
mtone

no problem..
changingworship  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 5, 2022 5:26:12 AM(UTC)
changingworship

United Kingdom

Sorry to resurrect a thread. I have an SQ-5 and I am getting nothing in vmix. I have all of the drivers. Should I be seeing levels on the side of audio SQ 12 even if there is nothing coming in? I was trying to route it as just a straight front of house mix L/R to start with as a test. Have I missed a step?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
mtone  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 5, 2022 12:23:59 PM(UTC)
mtone

did you try selecting the "SQ ASIO Driver" from the Audio Device drop down list.. then select 1&2 from the channels drop down list that propagates below it ?
changingworship  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2022 2:09:48 AM(UTC)
changingworship

United Kingdom

Sorry it took a while to get back to you. I wanted to double check I'd done that and it's an install in a church rather than my house. I have tried the asio driver and drop down list. I'm scratching my head.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
changingworship  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2022 1:14:42 AM(UTC)
changingworship

United Kingdom

Turns out they have put an option in a setup menu to switch between SQ-Drive and USB B. It is automatically set to SQ-Drive. It needs to be set to USB B.