logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mhallet  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 10:14:42 AM(UTC)
mhallet

Groups: Registered

Hey everyone! Kind of got a strange thing happening with my vMix camera setup and thought I'd see what you guys think.

Problem

When I add a camera input to vMix, it comes in as a blank screen. If I reset the HDMI/CAT converter box (multiple times, usually) the feed eventually connects. This happens to both cameras that I have connected to my HDMI capture card. Once the connection is made, I never lose the connection unless I close the program and/or restart my computer. When that happens, I have to go through the process all over again. Definitely can't be good for the hardware, and there's gotta be a solution to get the connection on the first time, every time.

Background

I have a small dry pad arena for sports like indoor soccer, ball hockey, futsal, etc. where we've got cameras set up above each net. We use the video for live streaming on Facebook and building highlight packages for renters and internal users. I would like to get someone else trained on setting up the program, but I can't do that until I get this troubleshooting figured out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hardware

Computer

• Intel Coreā„¢ i7-7700K Processor, 4.20GHz w/ 8MB Cache
  • MSI Z270 SLI PLUS w/ DDR4 2400, 7.1 Audio, Dual M.2, Gigabit LAN, SLI / CrossFire
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SuperClocked 3GB PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI, Triple DP
  • Kingston HyperX Fury Series 16GB PC4-19200 DDR4 Kit (2x 8GB), Black
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2 750W Bronze Modular Power Supply
  • Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 PCIe x4 SSD, 250GB
  • Samsung 960 PRO NVMe M.2 PCIe x4 SSD, 1TB
  • Magewell Pro Capture Quad HDMI card
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64 bit) OEM

Cameras (x2)

• Sony Action Cam HDR-AS300R
  • Uses micro HDMI output

Cables and conversion boxes from camera to computer...

• Using camera's micro HDMI out
  • Micro HDMI to regular HDMI cable
  • Regular HDMI output goes into Monoprice Blackbird HDMI Extender over Single 100m CAT6 (TCP/IP) with IR Support
  • Approx 125 feet of CAT6 cable
  • Converted back to HDMI using Monoprice Blackbird HDMI Extender over Single 100m CAT6 (TCP/IP) with IR Support
  • HDMI cable connects it to my Magewell capture card

admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 11:21:02 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4159 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
A good thing to try is with the Magewell Capture Express software to isolate if it is vMix or a Magewell specific issue:

http://www.magewell.com/downloads
ask  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 7:04:48 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Also, test your setup without the extenders.
mhallet  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2019 12:54:49 PM(UTC)
mhallet

Got an update on this. I have tested the camera without the extenders and achieved 100% success on every test. So the problem has to be the extenders.

I've got two identical extender setups in place now, both with exactly the same problem.
I've also tried the setup using a brand new CAT6 cable, and the problem persists.
In light of this, I believe it's the extenders that are causing the issue.

Perhaps there's a better kind of extender option? Are my Monoprice extenders too cheap? Perhaps I need better quality extenders.
sinc747  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2019 2:59:20 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Instead of HDMI-->CAT5 extenders try using a HDMI to SDI converter (and SDI to HDMI on the other end). Then use SDI cable instead of CAT5. More expensive but will work every time.

- Tom
SportsNetUSA.net  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2019 3:07:56 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I don't know if Monoprice extenders are too cheap, but there are reliable HDMI extenders out there. You may have to spend more to get them.

Look for an HDBaseT extender. I have used KanexPro EXT-HD100MHBT (4K + PoE) unit for about 3 years without any issues. I've tested it to 300 ft/91 meters. When I use it in the field, it is usually with 200 feet (61 meters) of CAT6 shielded cable.

Also have a SIIG 70 meter HDMI 4K HDBaseT. Works well, usually only using it at 75 feet with CAT6 UTP. Had a problem with it once, but that may have been due to it being setup outdoors for over a week.