logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dlinstedt  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2019 9:37:43 PM(UTC)
dlinstedt

Groups: Registered
United States

I am new to vmix.

Windows 10, latest patches
Falcon Northwest custom box, intel i7 6800k
x99-Deluxe ii ASUSTTek motherboard
Bios: v0903 American Megatrends

I setup an audio source for my Logitech h390 headphones with mic, over USB input.
I have no other inputs (this is the default)
I checked windows SOUNDS control panel, and tuned off RealTek sound processing
Since it's USB input, there is no "gain" on the mic in the Windows SOUND panel
I have shut off "listen to this device" in the sound panel
Playback is limited strictly to Logitech USB headset - so that NO reverb can happen at all.

The issue: VMIX always gives me reverb over every microphone channel, no VST3 plugins, just default plain setup.

I tried to replicate it using Audacity - and in Audacity over the same source I get NO reverb at all.
I tried to replicate it with Camtasia - and NO reverb at all.

Either there is something in VMIX I missed (setups I have to get rid of, turn off)
OR there is a serious sound problem in Vmix that needs to be fixed??

The reverb (echo) is annoying, makes me sound like I'm in a huge concert hall with an echo.
It happens DURING recording, AND is placed IN the recording after as well.

Please help?
Thanks,
Dan
AgentPete  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 2:11:49 AM(UTC)
AgentPete

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Several options to consider.
Problems like this can be one of three things:
You’ve got a hardware loopback (you’ve already partially checked for this)
Your Windows software configuration is introducing the same thing (ditto)
Your VMix settings are inadvertently feeding back – not sure you’ve traced this yet.

Rest assured, this isn’t a bug in VMix!

Since you don’t have the same issue with other applications, I’d suspect that the “Audio Outputs” in the VMix Settings CP isn’t correctly configured. Turn everything off (“None”) apart from one output, and see if you have the same problem.

zenvideo  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 2:54:17 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AgentPete Go to Quoted Post
Since you don’t have the same issue with other applications, I’d suspect that the “Audio Outputs” in the VMix Settings CP isn’t correctly configured. Turn everything off (“None”) apart from one output, and see if you have the same problem.

I'd suggest going a step further and setting them all to None, and then see if there's still a problem with echo in the recording. If it's clean, try turning them back on, one at a time, and see which one introduces the echo. Start with just the headphone output, and if that causes an echo then please report which audio device you have set it to. Ideally you should use a playback/audio device that isn't used by any other software (i.e. not the default playback device used by Windows).
dlinstedt  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 4:12:23 AM(UTC)
dlinstedt

United States

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I am very new to vMix - just purchased 2 days ago.

What I Learned:
a) cheap headphones bleed audio back in to the mic (which is what was happening)
b) vmix apparently increases the sensitivity of the microphones
c) Camtasia and Audacity (for whatever reason) masked the echo feedback they were getting.

For whatever reason, Vmix is super sensitive with the audio pickup - I tried a ton of microphones: blue yeti (USB), Rhode NTG-2, Audio Technica Lapel Mic, and Logitech h390 headphones (cheap ones).

They all acted the same - when I had the playback going to the speakers in the Logitech H390 headphones.

As soon as I switched to my Bose QC-2 Headphones, the echo disappeared and all was well.

So the lesson to me here is: shut off headphone playback WHILE recording and all is well. Or: get a better pair of studio reference headphones that don't bleed sound.

I even tried putting my Rhode NTG-2 through U-PHORIA Behringer UMC204HD pre-amp mixer...

Results were always the same.

Anyhow, Lesson learned! It would be good to see a few more "cautions or troubleshooting" tips in the documentation, or even a cool vmix Video about "cheap headphones causing sound bleed/ feedback to echo".

Thanks!
Dan
LightGuy145  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2020 1:22:09 AM(UTC)
LightGuy145

United States

I have finally traced down a problem I've been dealing with for the past week, partly thanks to finding this post. I have been using a Logitech headset as a monitoring headphone and control room mic. Mic is routed to bus C only, program material is not routed to bus C but monitored in headphones... yet I kept having problems with the program material getting into bus C. I didn't think it was the headset because it happened with a different headset and happened even when the headset was unplugged from a 3.5mm extender that remain plugged into the computer. I thought maybe there was sound bleed happening inside the Windows audio device somehow. Using a separate USB microphone solved the problem but I wanted to use the boom mic of the headset. Tried splitting the phones/mic part of the headset with a Y-cable and running the microphone into a 3.5mm to USB adapter so it would be a separate audio device in Windows. The bus C bleed problem came back. Because I have a detachable boom on my headset I've now just run a separate cable to the mic and taped it to the side of my headphones. Problem solved. Why in the hell is vMix so sensitive to using a headset boom mic as an input while monitoring using the earphones of the same headset? Isn't it super common for live streamers and control rooms to use headsets in this way? Does everyone just use super expensive headsets?
AgentPete  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2021 7:46:57 PM(UTC)
AgentPete

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Just as a follow-up, I can confirm that I’ve had the same problem, i.e. an echo in Headphone mix sent to guests. The cause was the same – Plantronic headphones sending back guest audio to themselves, crossover happening somewhere. Solution is not to use headphone mikes.