logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chrisis  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 2:07:26 PM(UTC)
chrisis

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I'm interested to know the best approach for using PNG sequences in multiple scenes. Let's say I have 3 different (title) scenes that all have a similar continuous animation (for argument's sake, a background animation). I.e the background image sequence loops

Approach 1:
Add the animation to each title as a PNG sequence and set to continuously animate. Add the titles as individual inputs. Total 3 inputs

Approach 2:
Add the animation as it's own Input in vmix and then create 3x virtual inputs from it, with the different titles added using Multi View. Total 7 inputs

I'd like to do things the most performance efficient way. The reason I ask is I note that when adding a GT title with a continuous PNG animation, (a) the input takes a long time to add, and (b) I sometimes get animation stuttering for the PNG sequence in the title. I traditionally have used Approach 2 but I'm looking for performance improvements and efficiency. I shouldn't have to use 7 inputs when maybe 3 will do!
admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 11:34:55 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi,

As long as your graphics card has plenty of memory then it doesn't matter how many PNG sequences are loaded at the same time.
A 6GB or more graphics card is recommended, and you can check using GPU-Z to see what the usage is with all inputs loaded:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

If you only have 1 or 2 GB of memory on the card and it is maxing out then yes you may need to separate the image sequence into its own input.
As long as there is plenty of free memory on the graphics card and the GPU % is not maxed out performance of GT will not be affected.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
stevespaw on 3/15/2019(UTC)
chrisis  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2019 8:00:59 AM(UTC)
chrisis

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious if what I'm experiencing is expected then. My vMix preset has a total of 18 inputs:

- 8 GT titles (4 with PNG sequences)
- 2 vMix Calls
- 2 stingers (PNG sequences)
- 6 others (static graphics/colour input/an opener movie/an unused looping background movie etc)

vMix is using 18GB of RAM: https://www.dropbox.com/...dn11x/vmix-18gb.PNG?dl=0

My graphics card has 8gb of memory, GPU-Z reports 6.7GB in use, although vMix reports GPU mem at 24%.
ask  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2019 3:47:06 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
chrisis  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 12:08:00 PM(UTC)
chrisis

Originally Posted by: ask Go to Quoted Post
https://www.vmix.com/knowledgebase/article.aspx/181/what-does-the-gpu-mem-indicator-mean-in-the-vmix-status-bar

My question wasn't about the mismatch between one percentage or the other. My question was whether the massive consumption of memory should be expected. I'm concerned that I may be doing things grossly inefficiently.
ask  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 4:07:16 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
It's all about how much data you have loaded into the available memory that is on the GPU. For instance I have a number of large powerpoint inputs loaded atm, they have taken up 48% of the vMix accessible GPU memory. However overall GPU utilization is only 25%.