logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MarkNF82  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 9, 2019 3:03:23 AM(UTC)
MarkNF82

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Everyone,

Wondering if anyone else has had midi controller issues with vMix 22 beta or official release.

A few weeks ago we used vMix beta .46 I think. Everything had been running fine, until one day randomly, our midi controller (Behringer X-Touch Mini) failed to be recognized by vMix. As we were in the middle of a broadcast we could not restart vMix so we made keyboard shortcuts to get through it. When we were able to restart, the controller worked again, but after an hour or so, stopped. After the first time we replaced the USB cable and removed as many USB devices as we could. We also changed the USB port. Other than those 2 broadcasts, it has not happened before or since on that machine or with that controller.

Yesterday, on a completely different system, using vMix 22.0.0.50, the same thing happened again. This time with an XKeys xk-24. It was not disconnected from the system, but vMix just dropped it and stopped responding to shortcuts. We have since made keyboard shortcuts for everything and are a bit insecure in setting midi shortcuts.

In both instances, the controllers were not disconnected, nor did Windows seem to lose connection, unless it was just for a split second. Also, in vMix midi settings, the controllers were still selected and had a checkbox next to it, but when we tried to set shortcuts or test midi signals, vMix would not respond to any key presses from the controllers. Also, the computers were not put to sleep.

Is there any MIDI controller software out there to test what is causing this issue? As we cannot restart vMix at times if the controller randomly stops working during production, is there a way to reset the vMix midi? This has only been a recent issue over the last month or so. I don't know if this is related to a Windows update or something different in vMix 22.

stevespaw  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 9, 2019 4:19:37 AM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
I have had to send back 2 x-touches for this. They are excellent when they work.

Steve
scottosaur  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 23, 2019 3:22:17 AM(UTC)
scottosaur

United States

Bump because I've been seeing some quirky behavior with the X-Touch Mini as well. Trying to figure out if it's the X-Touch or vMix or both. I've been wondering if a powered USB hub might help; it seems like the Behringer might be going to "sleep" and vMix doesn't wake it up. Sometimes I have to restart Vmix, sometimes I have to unplug and replug the Behringer.

I've also noticed that the "Behringer"-specific Activator types don't work and I have to use the generic ones (which means I can't make buttons blink, even though it's a function of the device), and I've also found that changing Activators on the device is a bit of a headache because I often have to restart vMix before they take effect.
admin  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 23, 2019 12:25:08 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4145 time(s) in 1490 post(s)
Hi,

This may be due to USB power management. You can try the following:
1. Right click Start Menu
2. Select Device Manager
3. Go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers
4. For each item in the list, right click go to Properties -> Power Management and untick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

I've seen this happen with some keyboard and mouses running on hubs with a long extension lead, but not with MIDI, but it might help.

Failing this, an isolation test, where it is plugged in directly with no hub or other USB peripherals will determine
if the unit is faulty or not.

(For what it is worth, no MIDI changes have been made in vMix in quite some time)

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
stigaard on 11/17/2019(UTC)
BETech  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 23, 2019 4:41:03 PM(UTC)
BETech

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 71 post(s)
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked BETech for this useful post.
rowby on 3/23/2019(UTC)
rowby  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 23, 2019 11:40:19 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Thanks BETech

Sounds like a good idea for all of us to do — for usb issues in general.

Rowby
MarkNF82  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2019 12:25:11 AM(UTC)
MarkNF82

Canada

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Totally forgot I wrote this. Found it while looking for a solution to the same issue. This time it is with an XK-124Tbar and possibly an XK24. Didn't notice the reply as well. Will give this a try. Unfortunately it may take weeks/months to find out if it helped. It usually didn't happen too often, but when it did ...urgh. We have since made keyboard shortcuts to be on the safe side. They seem to work all the time.

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

This may be due to USB power management. You can try the following:
1. Right click Start Menu
2. Select Device Manager
3. Go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers
4. For each item in the list, right click go to Properties -> Power Management and untick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

I've seen this happen with some keyboard and mouses running on hubs with a long extension lead, but not with MIDI, but it might help.

Failing this, an isolation test, where it is plugged in directly with no hub or other USB peripherals will determine
if the unit is faulty or not.

(For what it is worth, no MIDI changes have been made in vMix in quite some time)

Regards,

Martin
vMix

HDLabs  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2021 4:11:32 AM(UTC)
HDLabs

United States

I have the same issue with a Korg nanoKontrol. So, it is not a Behringer issue (to all those quick to disparage Behringer)
I am running MIDI OX on the computer to monitor that the midi is still sending and midi driver is active. Vmix recognized the midi commands long enough to create the shortcuts. But, now wont respond to control. StreamDeck still functions correctly without issue.