logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ssion  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 7:07:09 AM(UTC)
ssion

Groups: Registered

Hi everybody,

We are planning to equip a room with HD Webcam for making MOOC.
We need to record multiple HD sources at the same time and manage them. For that is seems that vMix is a very powerfull solution.
For the moment, we are planning to install up to 4 Webcams which should work simultaneously.
In order to proceed, we would like to be sure that the Webcam we'll use will be 100% compatible.

I've read some issue with the Logitech C920 and more with the C930e. Unfortunatly, it seems that these models are at the top, and the last one has wide angle feature. Microsoft has a lot of models too. But which one are well working simultanously with vMix ?

Does anyone has feedback or dispositif that works well with HD Webcams (of any marks)?

Thanks for your answer !

The computer we have is :
Intel I5 Quad Core (3,2Ghz)
16Gb Ram
Nvidia GTX 660 2Gb
128Gb SSD + 2To HDD
Win7 (but Win8 available)

Eric
audiotrax  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:09:49 AM(UTC)
audiotrax

I've been testing vMix with two Logitech c920 webcams and so far, it seems to work. There is a limitation, though, with multiple c920's; you cannot change the camera settings within the Logitech software for both cameras independently; you have the option of switching between the cameras, but changing the settings doesn't work right. What settings you set for one will affect the other. But it doesn't always work. I know, sounds like a lot of hassle. But after some tweaking and various other things that I did at random to make it all work, I'm getting a good picture from both. My plan is to add a third c920. I'm hoping that Logitech realizes the potential of having control over multiple c920 webcams and updates their software. Here's what I've found so far using c920's with vMix on Windows 8.1:

The cameras like to run in 1080p, not 720p or lower. I couldn't figure out why my cameras were getting out of sync with each other and then I switched them both to 1080p in vMix and viola; problem solved. Why did it work? No idea.

Putting both cameras on the same USB 2.0 bus yielded some frame rate issues. I then put them both on the same USB 3.0 bus and for reasons I cannot explain, I'm getting a solid 30 fps out of both cameras at 1080p. People advise you to put each camera on a separate USB bus, but if you have available 3.0 ports, give that a try. Some have had success on 3.0, others haven't. So far, it's a winner for me.

If you have the capability, upgrade your CPU to an Intel i7; either Sandy/Ivy Bridge (Socket 1155) or Haswell (socket 1150), depending on what motherboard you have. The i7 is much better at video encoding and you'll be glad you have the extra horsepower with four HD webcams, regardless of what brand/model of webcam you use.

I disabled all of the "auto" settings for the cameras. I wasn't too impressed with the settings the software chose.

The biggest thing you need to know is that lack of independent control of each camera's parameters within the Logitech software. I'll be doing more testing when I get a third camera and can let you know what I find. If I can get it all working with three, I'm fairly certain adding one more shouldn't be a problem.

Here's my system specs for reference:

Intel i7 4770k
8 GB 1866mhz RAM
250 GB SSD
1 TB 7200 RPM HDD
3 GB ASUS R9 280x Matrix Platinum GPU
Windows 8.1

If you want to stay in direct contact about the cameras, just PM me your e-mail address.

- Greg

ssion  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:27:53 AM(UTC)
ssion

Thanks alot for your feedback Greg !

c920 webcam are still alive so. Compared to the c910 this Webcam don't use Mpeg2 which was using the computer processor, but directly encode into H264 inside the Webcam.
I'll be interresting to know how does work 3 c920 on same system.

In different reviews I can read that Microsoft Lifecam are quite well and it seems that the driver do not has the limitation that Logitech have. Does anyone has an idea or an expérience with these series ? By the way, Logitech BCC950 has an interesting feature which follow the speaker. But nobody talk about it on this forum :/ Does the vMix team have already works with it ?

Sorry for all my questions (and my english). We would like to avoid rookies mistakes and the software solution has to fit the hardware choice...

Eric
Brian Hazelden  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:33:48 AM(UTC)
Brian Hazelden

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Why are you using webcams if they are all in the same room?

vMix works best with uncompressed inputs. A cheap camcorder will give you uncompressed HD video via HDMI or Component YUV as well as recording compressed H264 to a card.

Brian
ssion  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:30:56 AM(UTC)
ssion

Very good question Brian.

We have already used a solution with a cheap camcorder. The problem was that these cam were not made to be "passive". I mean that all the screen menus are recorded too... imagine the battery icon on the screen or the tacticall zoom. Moreover these cam need a specifique card for acquisition. We don't have an extensible budget.

Perhaps you have some example that you can share which work with 3 cam, VMix, video acquisition card for more or less 1000€ ?

I am very open to any solution. Webcam seems to fit great because of the quality and price, perhaps it's a mistake. Please, convices me ;)
wscawebcast  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 6:35:31 PM(UTC)
wscawebcast

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've been using a pair of Microsoft Lifecam Studio webcams at 720p (1280x720) successfully in vMix. I do find that there's more impact to Render time in vMix with the USB cameras than IP streamed cameras, so you'll want to have a powerful graphics card (GPU) if you're going to use more than a couple webcams at one time.
acontreras86  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 11:29:59 PM(UTC)
acontreras86

Hello All. I'm glad i found this topic on the use of multiple webcams. i wanted to know if anyone has a link of a sample video that you've made with the multiple c920's? It would be greatly appreciated. I'm also plannig on running the same type of setup. i actually just purchased two c920's and i want to use them in conjuction with my Mackie Profx12 mixer. My PC has a 2nd generatrion i7, 8g of ram, usb 3.0 port and a nice nividea graphics card. i'm going to add an SSD hardrive this week and i hope it is enough to get a smooth production. i wont be doing anything fancy, just some one on one interviews for the most part.

I already tested one c920 with the built in webcam and my MACKIE profx12 and got real crappy results. Audio wouldnt sync correctly with the video and i got lots of choppy lag, but that was before reading some of all of your tips on here.

I hope to see one of your succusful multi webcam videos.

also if anyone would like to Pm me and go over some equipment comparisons via google hangouts it would be great as well.

Angel