logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ProSonas  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2019 10:45:37 PM(UTC)
ProSonas

Groups: Registered
Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi

I hope this post is ok, even though it's not strictly on topic but still, as it's part of the total solution, hopefully, it's ok.

For the past year, we've been livestreaming for our clients, using uStream.

Because of the amount (typically 8-10 hours pr. week), it's much too expensive for us/our clients due to the pricing structure of IBM (owning uStream) and I must admit, that the amount of technical problems - even though IBM support is mostly quick to the rescue, is just not 100% pro. We've lost VOD recordings a few times and IBM charge extra for channels with more than 720p, which I find a bit too oldschool. Most of our clients take it that we stream in at least 1080p25 but some even ask for 1080p50 or 4k.

Also, uploading and hour of recordings to uStream - even though we use IBMs extra fast upload - easily takes several hours, which is not what our clients need. They want VOD versions to be available right after the event has ended.

We DO need to be able to setup private / confidential streams and the free platforms (of course) harvest data like crazy and as we often livestream from places with background music outside our controle (like sports events) YouTube and the copyright-strikes are just too risky.

What platforms can you recommend?
ThommiTechnik  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2019 11:40:00 PM(UTC)
ThommiTechnik

Man
Switzerland

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ProSonas Go to Quoted Post
Hi

I hope this post is ok, even though it's not strictly on topic but still, as it's part of the total solution, hopefully, it's ok.

For the past year, we've been livestreaming for our clients, using uStream.

Because of the amount (typically 8-10 hours pr. week), it's much too expensive for us/our clients due to the pricing structure of IBM (owning uStream) and I must admit, that the amount of technical problems - even though IBM support is mostly quick to the rescue, is just not 100% pro. We've lost VOD recordings a few times and IBM charge extra for channels with more than 720p, which I find a bit too oldschool. Most of our clients take it that we stream in at least 1080p25 but some even ask for 1080p50 or 4k.

Also, uploading and hour of recordings to uStream - even though we use IBMs extra fast upload - easily takes several hours, which is not what our clients need. They want VOD versions to be available right after the event has ended.

We DO need to be able to setup private / confidential streams and the free platforms (of course) harvest data like crazy and as we often livestream from places with background music outside our controle (like sports events) YouTube and the copyright-strikes are just too risky.

What platforms can you recommend?

Wowza - we use it for our daily business
thanks 1 user thanked ThommiTechnik for this useful post.
ProSonas on 2/18/2019(UTC)
ProSonas  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2019 12:18:15 AM(UTC)
ProSonas

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ThommiTechnik Go to Quoted Post

Can you elaborate a bit - are you using your own installation / Amazon cloud or "just" the Wowza "ready to roll"-cloud solution?
ThommiTechnik  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2019 3:09:05 AM(UTC)
ThommiTechnik

Man
Switzerland

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ProSonas Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ThommiTechnik Go to Quoted Post

Can you elaborate a bit - are you using your own installation / Amazon cloud or "just" the Wowza "ready to roll"-cloud solution?

We're doing mostly "ready to toll." For me, it's very easy and intuitive to setup the server, takes two minutes. And then either give the generated link to the site-admin, where the stream will be embedded, or roll out the hosted page.
This is part of my routine in the office.

Wowza is very reliable, storing is great, and support (if needed, I needid it only once, when suddenly all recordings were gone, after migration of two admin-accounts to one) is fast, good and friendly.

The options, directly out of vMix, OBS, Epiphan, or direct RTMP are superb.

And at last: the pricing is fair and good.
thanks 1 user thanked ThommiTechnik for this useful post.
ProSonas on 2/18/2019(UTC)
Steve@espavo.org  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 4:40:03 AM(UTC)
Steve@espavo.org

United States

If you have not checked out Vimeo I highly recommend that. They bought out Livestream and have really great prices for quality streaming and VOD. Right now it is still $900 year with 5tb of storage.
-TA_  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:16:40 AM(UTC)
-TA_

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Steve@espavo.org Go to Quoted Post
If you have not checked out Vimeo I highly recommend that. They bought out Livestream and have really great prices for quality streaming and VOD. Right now it is still $900 year with 5tb of storage.

Can you stream with any rtmp-streamer or do you need to use Vimeos own software ?

elvis55  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:28:49 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Vimeo Live overview

Connect (RTMP)
The Connect tab contains your RTMP URL and Stream Key for your event. Copy and paste the RTMP URL and Stream Key into the destination field of your broadcast encoder and when your event is ready to start, just begin streaming from your encoder. Your stream signal will be broadcast live to your viewers, regardless of the status of your webcam and the browser encoder. We recommend starting a local recording of your stream from within your encoder at this point as well, just in case of any problems with your internet connection.