logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Amnon  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 8:53:52 AM(UTC)
Amnon

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi everyone.
For years now I have been using Skype to bring in video guests in. Rightclick on the desktop capture input and choose Skype. Last week I was finally forced to upgrade to ver. 8 of skype. Today I found out that desktop capture cannot read Skype anymore. You still see skype listed in the option to capture, but all you get is a black screen. I can capture Display 2 from the list, but then you have to crop the thing all over and zoom in.
Windows 10, vMix 21, nVidia1050.
Anybody else seen this? I called Tom and he tried with his setup, same results.
Thanks.
Amnon
ask  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 11:40:52 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Amnon Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone.
For years now I have been using Skype to bring in video guests in. Rightclick on the desktop capture input and choose Skype. Last week I was finally forced to upgrade to ver. 8 of skype. Today I found out that desktop capture cannot read Skype anymore. You still see skype listed in the option to capture, but all you get is a black screen. I can capture Display 2 from the list, but then you have to crop the thing all over and zoom in.
Windows 10, vMix 21, nVidia1050.
Anybody else seen this? I called Tom and he tried with his setup, same results.
Thanks.
Amnon

Amnon, try capturing the complete display, rather than the application. This has to do with changes in the NDI core that is used by desktop capture. Also you might try using the Skype-NDI integration to bring in the source.

thanks 1 user thanked ask for this useful post.
Amnon on 2/5/2019(UTC)
Amnon  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 12:08:21 PM(UTC)
Amnon

Man

Originally Posted by: ask Go to Quoted Post

Amnon, try capturing the complete display, rather than the application. This has to do with changes in the NDI core that is used by desktop capture. Also you might try using the Skype-NDI integration to bring in the source.

Capturing the display works (Sorry I should have mentioned that before), but the annoying problem is that every time you make a call or answer a call you have to re-crop all around skype. Also, I tried a dozen or so programs and they all captured fine.
So are you saying that it is a vMix problem and not skype?
I turned on NDI and it made no difference :-)
Beware, when capturing the display, the 'Hide Cursor' does not hide it, so if you make adjustments while live, the cursor is in the shot.
Thanks for the comeback.
Amnon
admin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:14:34 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi,

Just to confirm this is not a vMix issue.
For technical and security reasons imposed by Windows, some types of applications cannot be captured through the direct window capture method.
In that case the only way to capture these application is through the display, cropping as desired, or using native NDI output support
which is available in the latest Skype versions anyway.

Note that you can save the vMix preset with the display cropping in place and restore that as needed, just make sure to place
the Skype window in the same screen position each time to do this, and make sure it is not covered by other windows.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
Amnon on 2/6/2019(UTC)
sinc747  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:34:22 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
The Skype NDI must be broken. Amnon and I tried it this afternoon. He was running vMix 21, me vMix 22. Skype NDI was a black screen in vMix for both of us. :(

- Tom
thanks 1 user thanked sinc747 for this useful post.
Amnon on 2/6/2019(UTC)
admin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:58:25 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi Tom,

I think there might be some wires cross, as Amnon was specifically referring to the local desktop capture of the Skype app directly.
I can confirm Skype NDI is still working, just tried the latest Skype 8 release with vMix 22.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
Amnon on 2/6/2019(UTC)
Amnon  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 2:31:14 AM(UTC)
Amnon

Man

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Hi Tom,

I think there might be some wires cross, as Amnon was specifically referring to the local desktop capture of the Skype app directly.
I can confirm Skype NDI is still working, just tried the latest Skype 8 release with vMix 22.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

I was referring to desktop capture Martin, but when I was confirming it with Tom he wanted to also try NDI, and it didn't work. I enabled NDI in Skype but still nothing.

Also, is the "Hide Cursor" not working in display capture, a bug?

Amnon
richardgatarski  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 2:56:57 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Might be an issue with updated update of NDI 3.8 (yes, updated update). See another topic on Skype and NDI (posts by me and DWAM).

Also note that I can't get any NDI from Skype if the call is initiated from the remote participant.

thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
Amnon on 2/6/2019(UTC)
mjgraves  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 3:08:32 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
For a long while there's been an issue with capturing a window vs the full-screen. WebRTC based video conference systems have struggled tro capture (for example) Powerpoint when it's in a window..not full screen.

It has to do with the different mechanism that are available to write to the display. Some take advantage of the GPUs hardware acceleration, which cannot then be intercepted by software solutions like NDI Desktop Capture.

This goes back years. It was dead common to find that you could not capture the output of a DVD player application, as a form of ensuring that the DVD was not easily pirated.

IMHO, you're far better off getting Skype's built-in NDI output to work. Then use NDI Scan Convertor to get a signal into skype for the guest.

To enable NDI in Skype:

- Go into Settings
- Select the "Calling" Menu
- Click on "Advanced"
- Enable "Allow NDI Usage"

Skype setting to enable NDI output

Incidentally, if you would like a distant target for a test call, just let me know. I work from a home office, so I'm often able to pin up such tests.
thanks 2 users thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
Amnon on 2/6/2019(UTC), stevespaw on 2/6/2019(UTC)