logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RKatz  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2019 12:38:11 AM(UTC)
RKatz

Groups: Registered
United States

All,

Has anyone built up the newest NUC Hades Canyon w/ VMIX. Base spec is Intel Core i7-8809G w/ AMD Radeon RX Vega M GH graphics card. Would likely run with 32GB RAM, and 2TB M.2 SSD, and add a Magewell Eco Capture Dual Capture HDMI M.2 in the other available M.2 slot.

My application is very narrow. I need to capture 2 HDMI inputs, and one NDI input. Need to ISO record the 3 inputs and the program output at 1080/60. May need to stream a single 720 or 1080 stream on occassion. Has anyone built a system on the Nuc HC? Thoughts, comments, real-world experience?

I did see on a VMIX Live show a couple of months ago where they discussed it briefly. Apparently the VMIX can use the AMD hardware acceleration to encode to H.264, but cannot use it to encode for ffmpeg streaming. Additionally, it looks like the system throttles the GPU until put under load, so the machine shows a lot of CPU usage BEFORE you start recording. As soon as you start recording and the GPU kicks in, the CPU usage drops considerably.

Thanks in advance!

mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2019 4:28:52 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Yes! Rich Tamayo has significant experience with Hades Canyon NUC. He can be found in the Streaming Idiots group on Facebook.

He's also used the Magewell Eco M.2 SDI capture card.

His application pretty close to maxes out the system. He had issues when using a USB-C attached portable disk for recording. They were solved by recording to an internal M.2 SSD.