logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
melody  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 10:01:36 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

hey "vMixers" how do you go?

as a technician i found so many problems with windows 10 and its feature updates in a lot of machines, so i searched a little about a "work arround" to avoid some bad situations and give priority to apps that are really important to my clients.

recently, a friend of mine (that is a vmix user too, PFBM... you are the best, my friend) has told me about a windows 10 version that is completely free of every sort of microsoft bloatware, modern apps and a lot of other resources that makes no sense for some users, that is the Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (now the official release is LTSC).

that version of windows 10 is dedicated to run specific apps like in an hospital, for example. i found so many people talking (very well) about this version, once (in some cases) their apps runs better than in a pro or in a home versions. so i decided to try it to see if it realy goes at my expectations.

i would like to know about you guys, if anyone is experienced with this LTSB or LTSC versions of Windows 10.

for those who are interested, you have 90 days to try it.

have a nice week, cheers...

melody

edit: here goes the official "iso" link so you can download it, enjoy it!
https://www.microsoft.co...te-windows-10-enterprise
Ronald555  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 3:30:15 AM(UTC)
Ronald555

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
This Windows 10 Enterprise ltsb/ltsc version looks ideal for gaming or vMix only purposes without all the bloatware and feature updates.

I don't know if there are any drawbacks on this version.
MycroBeat99  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2019 4:46:20 AM(UTC)
MycroBeat99

Groups: Registered
Man
Romania

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It is the best version for production, and i think the Microsoft recommends LTSB/C for production environment. If you want an full version, you can search on google for it.

Me i'm using the 2016 LTSB version (pirate version with digital license unfortunately but enough of me) for 2 of 3 computers and he do a very good job for vmix. 1.5 GB ram on startup without any software open compare to 1803/1809 where i am over 3.5GB on startup.

And another difference would be to resource consumption, on my MCR computer i have less 15-20% CPU usage difference between 1607 LTSB and 1809 Enterprise. My MCR computer is a i3 3250, 16 gb ram and 1050 2GB video card. On my secondary computer, which is a lenovo legion Y520 laptop and using just for backup MCR computer, with i7 7700HQ, 8gb ram and 1050 4GB, the difference is that on 1607 does not crash, and on 1809 crash and give bluescreen.

On my third computer, which i call "REGIE" (Control room in English), i'm using 1809 Enterprise edition just for testing this Windows version and for integrated mobile answer, but i'm thinking to switch to 1607 LTSB. I have 2 vmix open, 1 for playout and 1 for CG with NDI communications, and i see the Windows slow down sometimes my vMix and use more CPU usage without any explanation. This computer have an i7 3770, 16gb ram, and 1060 6GB. All computers have been tested with all vMix 21 versions and vMix 22 BETA version (include 21.0.0.60 and 22.0.0.42) and both are using SSD and laptop NVME SSD.

My opinion is, if you have a slow computer, and why not a super computer, and want to don't have bloatware, to have clean version and don't need the 1809 features and use less resources, go to 1607 LTSB. I don't test 1809 LTSC yet, because it's the same version with 1809 and 1809 still have bugs, and Microsoft don't release the semi-annual (ring for companies) certification yet to say the version is stable. If you want store you can download scripts to install it.