logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spencerm24  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 6:48:34 AM(UTC)
spencerm24

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
If I have a fixed budget to upgrade a PC, and I can either go with an i9 9900k and another 16GB RAM, or an RTX 2080ti. (I only have enough for either the GPU, or CPU/RAM, but not all 3) Which is the better upgrade?

Currently running
16GB Ram
i7 8700k
GTX 1060
with 2x Blackmagic Decklink Duo cards for 8 inputs with instant replay on 4 cameras at 50mbps.
Project is 720/60p

We utilize a lot of graphics in the project, streaming and recording is handled by a secondary PC that chugs along at 50% nightly, the main PC listed above runs at 75% all night, and when playing back replays, it chugs up to 95% at times.

Given that I only have the budget for the CPU/RAM, OR the GPU, but not all 3, which is the best thing to upgrade?
Ittaidv  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 3:47:06 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I would go for the GPU, although I think it would be better to find a gtx 1080TI, since the difference is really minimal.

Ram: 16GB should be enough for most projects.
thanks 1 user thanked Ittaidv for this useful post.
sinc747 on 1/15/2019(UTC)
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 4:49:11 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
You don't mention anything about storage. If you're using replay you need really fast storage. SSD for certain, hopefully NVMe. That could ease the peak load on your CPU.
spencerm24  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 12:29:22 AM(UTC)
spencerm24

Originally Posted by: mjgraves Go to Quoted Post
You don't mention anything about storage. If you're using replay you need really fast storage. SSD for certain, hopefully NVMe. That could ease the peak load on your CPU.

Right now I have a 1TB Samsung 860 Pro SATA SSD, seems fast enough for 4 chanels at 50mbps, thats half the data rate of those drives, would a NVME really help much over that?

Right now since my cpu pegs at 75% steady, and peaks to 95%, thats why I was looking at the CPU upgrade, but given the comments here, with the GT Title using GPU (instead of the old titler using CPU), and a 1080ti/2080ti upgrade from the current 1060 that should help a fair bit.

thanks for the input.

kevev  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:33:22 AM(UTC)
kevev

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I would get the CPU as it will help with heavy custom graphics overlays and replay. One thing we did was to not use image sequences for stingers as those cause very hogh CPU usage. We use video overlays instead and CPU utilization is much lower. Try that before buying any new hardware.
spencerm24  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 7:31:14 AM(UTC)
spencerm24

Originally Posted by: kevev Go to Quoted Post
I would get the CPU as it will help with heavy custom graphics overlays and replay. One thing we did was to not use image sequences for stingers as those cause very hogh CPU usage. We use video overlays instead and CPU utilization is much lower. Try that before buying any new hardware.

interesting, in my dealings with Martin via support email, he mentioned the opposite, that image sequences require less resources. I will have to try this out and see.

Getting a lot of conflicting advice on what to upgrade, seems like GPU and CPU are the best things, and RAM not so much. Knowing that, I may be able to squeeze some more dollars out of things to do both, but thats to be determined.

custom graphics will soon use GPU rather than CPU, so I'm wondering how that will change things, I currently have about 20 pages of custom graphics.