logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PaulV8  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 10:13:23 AM(UTC)
PaulV8

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I will be getting vMix HD and need to know what are the advantages or disadvantages to using different video ports. I have a Win7 system with an i5 4670, 16 GB ram and an nVidia GTX 1060 video card. I also have onboard HDMI on my motherboard. I will be live streaming to 2 or maybe 3 providers (YouTube, Facebook, etc). The Fullscreen output will go out via HDMI to a splitter to two large screen monitors. I will have a third large screen monitor that goes out via a Decklink mini monitor from the external output in vMix.
The question is:
Will I be better to plug the HDMI (2 monitors via a splitter) into the GTX 1060 video card or into the HDMI port on the onboard (motherboard) connector?
ask  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 11:11:12 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PaulV8 Go to Quoted Post
I will be getting vMix HD and need to know what are the advantages or disadvantages to using different video ports. I have a Win7 system with an i5 4670, 16 GB ram and an nVidia GTX 1060 video card. I also have onboard HDMI on my motherboard. I will be live streaming to 2 or maybe 3 providers (YouTube, Facebook, etc). The Fullscreen output will go out via HDMI to a splitter to two large screen monitors. I will have a third large screen monitor that goes out via a Decklink mini monitor from the external output in vMix.
The question is:
Will I be better to plug the HDMI (2 monitors via a splitter) into the GTX 1060 video card or into the HDMI port on the onboard (motherboard) connector?

You will find that the onboard video output is not active because of the 1060 card, however that card will support 3 monitors. So depending on the config you should be able to connect a DVI, HDMI, Display Port monitor x3.

These will be lower latency that the Mini Monitor, and can be split as you describe.
elvis55  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 7:08:26 PM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ask Go to Quoted Post
The question is:

You will find that the onboard video output is not active because of the 1060 card, however that card will support 3 monitors. So depending on the config you should be able to connect a DVI, HDMI, Display Port monitor x3.

These will be lower latency that the Mini Monitor, and can be split as you describe.

Hello,

That works, both graphics cards can be used.

Have it only in German, how to stop.

Greeting

PaulV8  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 10:53:49 PM(UTC)
PaulV8

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am able to use either one, that is, I can move the HDMI end from the vid card to the onboard connector and it looks the same. I was wondering if there would be a difference in vMix performance.
I am currently using OBS (our treasurer will be buying vMix HD soon) and have done some testing using OBS. I didn't see a significant difference, but OBS uses more of the CPU and vMix uses more of the GPU.
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 2:29:56 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I am able to use either one, that is, I can move the HDMI end from the vid card to the onboard connector and it looks the same. I was wondering if there would be a difference in vMix performance.
I am currently using OBS (our treasurer will be buying vMix HD soon) and have done some testing using OBS. I didn't see a significant difference, but OBS uses more of the CPU and vMix uses more of the GPU.

You should use the nVidia card. vMix is specifically written to take advantage of its capabilities. For example, using the GTX you can enable hardware encoding and the effort of encoding the video will be offloaded from your CPU. This will make you system more stable and capable overall.

A GTX 1060 has 2 NVENC instances, allowing you to have two separate hardware encodes running. That means you can send 720p to Facebook while also recording 1080p to disk. Both without using your CPU to do the encoding.