logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ProSonas  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2018 5:35:47 AM(UTC)
ProSonas

Groups: Registered
Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So, as we're new to vMix, it has been very important for us to understand what PC build would be right for us.

We've been using Macs for the past 14 years, so we're completely "Noobs" in terms of Windows-PC hardware.

We decided to go for variant of the basic and the top end systems, suggested by vMix:

PC 1 is based on i9-9900k, RTX 2080 8gb, 32gb ram and m.2 flash drives for system and live production storage.

PC 2 is based on i7-8700k, GTX 1060 3gb, 16gb ram and SSDs for system and live production storage. Same case, keyboards etc. but around 50% total cost compared to PC 1.

Main difference between the rigs will be, that PC 1 will be used in case of need for multicorder, slomo/action replay and 4-6 live inputs (some in 4K) where PC 2 will only have 1 live input (because switching is done on a BlackMagic Television Studio Pro 4K.

We're still awaiting delivery of PC 2 and also the BlackMagic Declinks quad (8 in/out) PCIe cards for both machines, but for now, we haven't been able to overload PC 1.

Playing 27 .mov files in split screen with effects etc. barely pushes beyond 5% system "pressure". The GPU-fans doesn't even start up.

We're very happy and compared to a Mac-based, we're around 50% of our normal budget for stuff like this. Compared to our existing Tricasters, we're talking even less - like 20-25% cost but MUCH better features (in our case)
drjoeblack  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 6:51:27 AM(UTC)
drjoeblack

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: ProSonas Go to Quoted Post

PC 1 is based on i9-9900k, RTX 2080 8gb, 32gb ram and m.2 flash drives for system and live production storage.

The most important component is the graphics card: Keep your eye on the temperature, and be prepared to add a massive heatsink to the GPU.

It took me quite a while to work this one out. And we're only using 5 inputs at 720p.