logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JW  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 9:41:08 PM(UTC)
JW

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I've got a few Hikvision IPC-D120 network cameras (H264) and like to use these in vMix.
I entered the rtsp url in vMix and it works but with seconds delay and a lot of freeze moments (even with a buffer).
Why is this not working stable in vMix?

I have used this camera for a year with BlueIris (video security software) and it works super stable with almost no latency.
I also tried H264Webcam and IPCam on my phone, it's also very stable with very low latency.

Is there a difference how these kind of software works relative to vMix?
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 2:08:37 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JW Go to Quoted Post
I've got a few Hikvision IPC-D120 network cameras (H264) and like to use these in vMix.
I entered the rtsp url in vMix and it works but with seconds delay and a lot of freeze moments (even with a buffer).
Why is this not working stable in vMix?

I've used similar cameras from Grandstream for a few years.

Have you tried using the stream type VLC in vMix? That can be more robust.

I have used this camera for a year with BlueIris (video security software) and it works super stable with almost no latency.

Most of these very cheap cameras will only deliver 1-2 streams at full resolution. They usually have a separate URL for accessing a secondary stream at reduced resolution.

If you're trying to access it from vMix AND Blue Iris, at the same time, the camera might be struggling.

Since the stream is H264 encoded, there is some latency compared to other sources. You're lucky that it's not bothering you.
JW  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 4:27:40 AM(UTC)
JW

I didn't use 2 programs at the same time. I was only wondering why it works so much better in other software.
I know that in these other software you have to choose the IP address and also the right camera type otherwise it doesn't work.
(there is a list with hundreds of camera brands and different types for each brand)
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 6:08:11 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

The syntax for accessing the streams varies between makes. While some software has a vast number of presets, that's simply to keep the end user from having to work out the correct URL for their specific make/model.

Test using VLC on your vMix host, but external to vMix.

With my cameras I can use "Open Network stream" and enter rtsp://ip.address.goes.here/0 and the primary stream of the camera pops right up.

rtsp://ip.address.goes.here/1 and the secondary stream is visible.

If the cameras are ONVIF compliant you can try using ONVIF Device Manager to connect to them and see their settings & streams.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
JW on 12/28/2018(UTC)
JW  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 6:43:29 AM(UTC)
JW

It's a pity that I have to use workarounds again, vMix should handle this correct, but I will give it a try.
mjgraves  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 7:04:50 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

It's a pity that I have to use workarounds again, vMix should handle this correct, but I will give it a try.

vMix handles RTMP/RTSP streams very well indeed. vMix is doing things that Blue Iris doesn't. It requires stable sources.

I have no issue with my IP cameras. Mine cost about 2-3x the price of the make you have on-hand.
JW  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 8:47:46 PM(UTC)
JW

I had the same problem with my Sony SNC-ZP550.
Less freezes but still seconds delay and after a freeze some more delay.
I never could get audio and video in sync for a longer period.
VLC is stable but still big latency.

Btw
BlueIris is no video mixer of course :)
Although I used it before vMix appear, it had native http jpg stream so I could use my Sony SNC-RZ cameras without capture device.

I suddenly realize that BlueIris might use also http jpeg streaming for the Hikvision cameras instead of rtsp H264.
Can that explain the lower latency?
Barney Box Lane  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 10:47:14 PM(UTC)
Barney Box Lane

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
We've had a Hikvision they just don't work that well, at least ours didn't, the clever saving lead to a lot of wasted time and eventually a different camera.
We had same issue, and were lucky enough to have another ptz to check the connection was fine and we've never got a smooth shot from it.
It now points directly down the back off a jet car when it launches until we fully break it )
ChristianL  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 1:07:03 AM(UTC)
ChristianL

Netherlands

At my work we actually had to investigate the same issue in combination with our own software (that was actually a hardware decoder, so not vMix). We found out that the problem was that the Hikvision cameras periodically (once every few seconds) send out UDP packets of a different stream type. These UDP-packets are sent to the same address/port as the H.264 packets, which confused our decoder. When asked, we got the reply from Hikvision that these packets were proprietary packets used by the web-interface of the camera. VLC-player handles them properly by the way.

The bottom line: we had to change our software to ignore UDP-packets not belonging to one of the stream type advertised in the RTSP-SDP-info. I don't know anything about vMix internals, but it is possible that vMix also does not ignore these packets and gets confused by them as well. But that's just a guess... It would explain why vMix handles all other cameras perfectly, because I've never seen a camera that does this before either.