logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PaulV8  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 11:39:27 PM(UTC)
PaulV8

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am new to vMix and am still evaluating the trial. It would be helpful if while showing a PIP as set up in one of the overlays, to be able to move the smaller picture around the screen. You can do that now when you set up an overlay, but I would like to be able to move it around while live in the output. If that's not possible, then be able to move it around in the preview.

The underlying problem has to do with showing a PowerPoint. For example, when showing a PPT, if you want to alter an overlay say to move a smaller PIP around, you click on Overlay to make the changes. At this point, you cannot advance the slides, nor can your speaker advance the slides using a clicker. So maybe the feature that needs to be fixed is to be able to advance PPT slides no matter what is being opened at the time.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 12:28:59 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
We can do this already

Use API commands SetPanX, SetPanY to control your PiP overlay. Best is to use a joystick for live positionning but you can also create fixed shortcuts for each corners.

I know this is a common use in Broadcast switchers but I recommend anyway to create multiviews for such use cases. It's much more professional and good looking to have a nice background with your speaker as a layer and your PPT in another layer... and it avoids the situation you're complaining about

Something like this:
multiview.jpg (224kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Hope this helps
Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
mjgraves on 12/22/2018(UTC)
PaulV8  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 12:45:04 AM(UTC)
PaulV8

United States

As I said, I am new to vMix, and am anxious to find a fix for this, but I am not sure I understand your explanation. Could you put in a bit more detail?
Thanks.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 1:03:58 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Check out vMix YT channel and all the videos they did for newbies, especially those concerning Shortcuts and API commands and those about designing Multiviews...
Also check the manual : https://www.vmix.com/help21/
Sorry but I cannot sum up thousands of features here. I pointed out which directions you had to go, now it's up to you to learn what you need to know and how to do it...

Hope this helps
Guillaume
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 1:27:46 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
As a practical matter, it's been my habit to not use the PPTX directly from the vMix host. I prefer to have an upstream source, typically the presenters laptop, that comes into vMix via SD/HDMI or NDI. If that's the case you won't have the problem you describe.

This is driven by servicing presenters who have very complicated software installations they need to demo live.

NDI is ideal, but may not be practical if you cannot load the NDI Desktop Capture application to their laptop. Some don't have admin rights. Others have such complicated setups that they don't want anything to install anything that might upset the system.
DWAM  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 2:14:45 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Here's a demo video I just did to illustrate it's possible to control your PiP overlays moves in Preview or Program using shortcuts (here mapped to a Logitech joystick).

Guillaume
PaulV8  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 7:11:09 AM(UTC)
PaulV8

United States

DWAM,
That is very cool. The more I learn about vMix, the more I like it. I was able to set up my Logitech clicker to advance the slides by using the shortcuts functions. Question: What command did you use to make the small picture move? I think vMix calls it a function, not a command, but I tried a few, but didn't want to have to try all of the functions to find the right one.
DWAM  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 7:28:17 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

answer to this is in my first reply
fwieland  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 4:32:38 PM(UTC)
fwieland

Switzerland

Very interesting. Thank's DWAM for the pointer.
I am looking for a way to control the crop value of a multiview layer, but didn't find anything in the shortcuts reference. Is the list at https://www.vmix.com/hel...ex.htm?DeveloperAPI.html a complete list or are there more functions that can be called via API?
My use case is when building PIP's with camereas, the customers now inceasingly want left aand right side of the camera inputs cropped to make more room, which looks nice until the person moves away from the center. By adjusting the Crop values X1 and X2 at the same time, I could move the cropped picture left and right.
Has anybody tried to do this? I can't find any commands that would achieve this.
Andreas O  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2021 8:43:51 PM(UTC)
Andreas O

Norway

Originally Posted by: fwieland Go to Quoted Post
Very interesting. Thank's DWAM for the pointer.
I am looking for a way to control the crop value of a multiview layer, but didn't find anything in the shortcuts reference. Is the list at https://www.vmix.com/hel...ex.htm?DeveloperAPI.html a complete list or are there more functions that can be called via API?
My use case is when building PIP's with camereas, the customers now inceasingly want left aand right side of the camera inputs cropped to make more room, which looks nice until the person moves away from the center. By adjusting the Crop values X1 and X2 at the same time, I could move the cropped picture left and right.
Has anybody tried to do this? I can't find any commands that would achieve this.

I am also doing this, though I crop to the middle and then use Pan X to go side-to-side. Knowing this could be mapped to a couple of < and > on a Streamdeck buttons is very interesting. That solves my biggest problem, albeit I wouldn't say no to being able to move Multiview Layers around with bounding boxes instead of using Crop and Pan controls.