logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jkmakela  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:31:39 PM(UTC)
jkmakela

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Has anyone tested BMD Ultrastudio 4k with thunderbolt 2 ? I have been trying to order one but it is out of stock in Europe. Probably it is not shipping yet?

Want to know:
- if capturing two sdi cameras simultaneously and independently is possible (720 50p or 1080 50i) and outputing simultaneously independently sdi possible?
- loop two inputs to other devices possible?
- thunderbolt2 throughput working ok? Probably cascading two ultrastudio 4K possible?

So few information by BMD. I found only one forum post about this device from BMD forums - one user could not get any picture in or out.

We have two BMD ultrastudio mini recorders and mini monitor and they are working fine with vmix.
jkmakela  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:37:58 PM(UTC)
jkmakela

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I succeed to get some information through reseller who got answer from BMD personnel.

The UltraStudio 4K's inputs are not strictly independent. These are used for dual-link SDI. For an individual signal you would just use SDI input A, in this instance SDI B is disabled. If you have a dual-link SDI source you would use both inputs.

Dual-link SDI can be used for achieving higher bandwidth when used with other dual-link SDI hardware. By using two HD-SDI (1.5G-SDI) you can get the same bandwidth of 3G-SDI. This can be used for 1080p50/60, 1080i50/60 in RGB 4:4:4 or 2K. The UltraStudio 4K also supports dual 3G-SDI to achieve 6Gb/s for UltraHD 4K formats.

It's also possible to use the two SDI inputs for Stereoscopic 3D signals. One SDI link per eye. To input 3D these inputs must be correctly synchronised, otherwise they will not input.

So it will not work as I hoped.
pinkimp  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 26, 2014 12:27:47 PM(UTC)
pinkimp

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
You might've seen me posting on the BM forums about the Ultrastudio 4K.

Basically, it's an external Decklink 4K card - the inputs are not independent, so in reality, as you've already found out - it's just one input and a loop through.

We have spent a few weeks trying to get the Ultrastudio 4K working on a PC. 4 different Thunderbolt 1 and 2 motherboards - and none of them recognized it in Windows, trying every possible driver. Even a board using the same Thunderbolt controller as found on the new Mac Pro.

If you are ever to consider one of these, then Mac-only is my suggestion.

Otherwise, the BM Decklink Duo or Quad cards have independent inputs and outputs with 1080i60 support, which make them a better choice - they don't, however, support 1080p60 - which was the sole reason we looked at the U4K in the first place. Other brands looking into are Viewcast (Osprey) and Aja.
brandonbees  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 11:45:23 AM(UTC)
brandonbees

Have been asked to use one of these BMD Ultrastudio 4K units for a 2 camera SDI set up for a live stream.

Can this unit handle that, or is SDI input B disabled ?

When I connect SDI to input B the captured output being received from input A breaks up

Furthermore VMix only has "Ultrastudio 4K 1" on the input list

If I cannot use this unit any recommendations for what would do the job ?

I already have both an Ultrastudio Express (SDI to thunderbolt) and a BMD H264 (SDI to USB) - can these work in tandem, or is there a better one unit solution out there ?

Thanks in advance for any advice provided
AElli  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 2:44:05 PM(UTC)
AElli

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
You won't be able to run 2 sdi feeds in. The AB scenario is for BMD dual link, two sync'd sources of the same feed helping to increase bandwith. If your feeding it two seperate sources it doesn't work. Also AB is used for stereo 3d sources ie 1 left eye feed and 1 right eye feed.

If you want thunderbolt input with BMD cards look at a thunderbolt pcie chassis, something like a sonnet echo. You can add a decklink duo 2 for 4 configurable input / outputs. Maybe even a decklink quad 2 for 8 in/outs, but you'd have to check the bandwidth of the chassis first to ensure its compatible.

A.

Edit..
Try this link..
http://www.sonnettech.co...T/thunderbolt/index.html
thanks 1 user thanked AElli for this useful post.
brandonbees on 7/11/2016(UTC)