logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
joel05  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 4:31:37 AM(UTC)
joel05

Groups: Registered
Canada

I build a new PC that will be dedicated to vmix.
Will put intel i7.
For cooling, will it need liquid cooling system or it's overkill ? and perahps standard fan may be enough
Thanks for sharing your experiences on this

Joel
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 4:47:11 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
This depends upon your system. Most are air cooled, using fans. Most powerful GPUs are also air cooled using fans.

Liquid cooling is usually done after-market.

My vMix host is a bit unusual. It's an Airtop-PC, which is a fanless industrial PC that's convection cooled using heat pipes.

https://fit-iot.com/web/.../airtop2-specifications/

Mine is the first generation Airtop, with 5th gen i7-5775C and GTX 750Ti. The current generation uses i7-7700 and GTX 1060 or
Quadro P4000.
joel05  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 5:06:31 AM(UTC)
joel05

Canada

Thanks
Will build in this case of Cooler Master
Cooling is now not too expensive so probably it's a good choice

UserPostedImage
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 5:21:24 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I wonder if liquid cooling would be potentially troublesome for a system that travelled a lot?
lael  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 6:07:06 AM(UTC)
lael

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mjgraves Go to Quoted Post
I wonder if liquid cooling would be potentially troublesome for a system that travelled a lot?

wondering the same thing - would love to hear from anyone that liquid cools and ships their PC a lot
desmar  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 6:14:15 AM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
I had that case, dumped it for a 4u rackmount compact case, and a rolling 4U case, was too heavy with all hardware installed in it.

Originally Posted by: joel05 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks
Will build in this case of Cooler Master
Cooling is now not too expensive so probably it's a good choice

UserPostedImage
SportsNetUSA.net  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 9:59:14 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I also have that case, but dumped it when I upgraded (too small for power supply, graphics card, etc.)
Vuurmannetje  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 10:04:02 PM(UTC)
Vuurmannetje

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I am using AIO (prebuilt loop) watercooling on my CPUs in all my rack cases.

The air coolers I wanted to use were just too tall to fit in 4U cases.
If you properly mount the radiator to your case, AIO is even better on your motherboard for travel, since there is considerably less weight on top of your CPU socket.

What got me over the line though was that the better brands for AIO (Corsair in my systems) give a 5 year full system warranty against leaking damage.
Ittaidv  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2018 6:49:34 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I'm using corsair AIO's in all my builds.

First of all because watercooling cools better. The second reason is because I want a super transportable system. If you take a look at most aircoolers, they're big heavy pieces of metal, which are only held together by a few screws on the motherboard, with their mass far away from the screws. Imagine loading it in and out of a car every day. The chance the screws or the base of the cooler break one day, are high. A water cooling only has a small bass, and has the fans and radiator further away and closer to the sides of the case. I think that is safer. I never, in 3-4 years I use them on a daily basis, had one breaking, so I think it's safe to say they're safe to use. The last reason is one of airflow. If the area above the processor is completely empty, less air is blocked in this area. Also hot air is not being pumped around in the case, but immediatly exits the case with a watercooling.

As a bonus, you can slightly overclock your systems with watercooling. I recently built an x299 machine which is running smooth at 4.6 ghz with all of it's 10 cores.
thanks 1 user thanked Ittaidv for this useful post.
Horbel on 11/22/2018(UTC)
Nazarene Israel  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 3:49:31 AM(UTC)
Nazarene Israel

Chile

Originally Posted by: Ittaidv Go to Quoted Post
I'm using corsair AIO's in all my builds.

First of all because watercooling cools better. The second reason is because I want a super transportable system. If you take a look at most aircoolers, they're big heavy pieces of metal, which are only held together by a few screws on the motherboard, with their mass far away from the screws. Imagine loading it in and out of a car every day. The chance the screws or the base of the cooler break one day, are high. A water cooling only has a small bass, and has the fans and radiator further away and closer to the sides of the case. I think that is safer. I never, in 3-4 years I use them on a daily basis, had one breaking, so I think it's safe to say they're safe to use. The last reason is one of airflow. If the area above the processor is completely empty, less air is blocked in this area. Also hot air is not being pumped around in the case, but immediatly exits the case with a watercooling.

As a bonus, you can slightly overclock your systems with watercooling. I recently built an x299 machine which is running smooth at 4.6 ghz with all of it's 10 cores.

Hello. I am brand new to vMix (coming from TriCaster). I am also looking to do a new build. I do not plan to transport it much, so I was looking at the large air coolers (Noctua NH-D15). I don't know, but some of the reviews said these huge air coolers actually work better than water (which was a surprise to me). They also say they are more reliable than water on average (i.e., heat pumps don't go out, no leaks, etc.). I watched some bench reviews on YouTube, which confirmed this.

I am not planning to transport my rig much. I had not thought about the possibility that the weight might crack the motherboard if you transport it a lot. If I transported the system a lot I might take a new look at liquid cooling, because the logic of a small base not placing stress on the motherboard makes sense.