logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Remco  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 7:14:55 AM(UTC)
Remco

Groups: Registered
Netherlands

Hi,
I am totally new on this platform and I am a beginner in vmix. I need to use vmix to provide online classes in skype. I can create an image in skype with the external output but there is no sound. I tried everything but without result. Is there somebody who can explain me in simple steps how to create audio output through the virtual camera (external output)? I have placed some video files in my timeline. While playing I can hear it's sound on my speakers but there is no sound output through external.

Thank you very much
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 7:53:15 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Remco Go to Quoted Post
I can create an image in skype with the external output but there is no sound. I tried everything but without result. Is there somebody who can explain me in simple steps how to create audio output through the virtual camera (external output)? I have placed some video files in my timeline. While playing I can hear it's sound on my speakers but there is no sound output through external.

The external (virtual camera) output is just that - a vision-only virtual device. It doesn't handle audio, and there is no built-in equivalent virtual-audio output device. You can use Virtual Audio Cable (or other similar software) as the destination for one of vMix's audio outputs (usually the A or B outputs) and the VAC output as the input to Skype, similar to the description here in the vMix Knowledge base.
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 7:38:17 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
The external (virtual camera) output is just that - a vision-only virtual device. It doesn't handle audio

??? Why do you say Virtual Camera from Newtek does not handle audio Martin?
It does... Both image and sound are supported by this network virtual device and if you go to Settings you can see that it gives us the ability to adjust the audio level. However it does not allow us to select a different audio source than the enbedded audio coming with the selected NDI feed. That's the only restriction when it comes to audio with Newtek Virtual Input(Camera).

However regarding Skype I've had one time where audio wouldn't work either. I had the image just fine after selecting Virtual Camera as the video source but selecting it as an audio source would deliver no sound at all, although I was certain there was embedded audio in this feed as I could hear it when played by NDI Monitor.
Before and after this bad experience, audio worked fine in Skype... I just tried again before writing this and skype gets audio when using NDI Virtual Camera as the source for video and audio in Skype.
So I can't really say why it didn't work that "special" day or why it doesn't work for you. It should... Maybe the NDI implementation into Skype is not perfect yet or mature enough.

I'm using Skype 8.33.0.50.

Guillaume
Remco  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 8:30:47 PM(UTC)
Remco

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
Quote:
The external (virtual camera) output is just that - a vision-only virtual device. It doesn't handle audio

It does... Both image and sound are supported by this network virtual device and if you go to Settings you can see that it gives us the ability to adjust the audio level. However it does not allow us to select a different audio source than the enbedded audio coming with the selected NDI feed. That's the only restriction when it comes to audio with Newtek Virtual Input(Camera).

However regarding Skype I've had one time where audio wouldn't work either. I had the image just fine after selecting Virtual Camera as the video source but selecting it as an audio source would deliver no sound at all, although I was certain there was embedded audio in this feed as I could hear it when played by NDI Monitor.
Before and after this bad experience, audio worked fine in Skype... I just tried again before writing this and skype gets audio when using NDI Virtual Camera as the source for video and audio in Skype.
So I can't really say why it didn't work that "special" day or why it doesn't work for you. It should... Maybe the NDI implementation into Skype is not perfect yet or mature enough.

I'm using Skype 8.33.0.50.

Guillaume

Thank you very much for your advice. The thing is that I am a beginner. I do not understand about NDI monitor. I would love a step by step instruction how to set up that in simple non technical words. The only thing I want is that audio of my movies on the time line is included in the virtual camera (external) output

Remco  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 8:33:43 PM(UTC)
Remco

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: zenvideo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Remco Go to Quoted Post
I can create an image in skype with the external output but there is no sound. I tried everything but without result. Is there somebody who can explain me in simple steps how to create audio output through the virtual camera (external output)? I have placed some video files in my timeline. While playing I can hear it's sound on my speakers but there is no sound output through external.

The external (virtual camera) output is just that - a vision-only virtual device. It doesn't handle audio, and there is no built-in equivalent virtual-audio output device. You can use Virtual Audio Cable (or other similar software) as the destination for one of vMix's audio outputs (usually the A or B outputs) and the VAC output as the input to Skype, similar to the description here in the vMix Knowledge base.

Thank you for your response. I installed audio cable and exactly it is working. So I can work with this for now. I hear other people saying that audio can be included in the output (through NDI). If this is the case, than of course I prefer this.
DWAM  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 9:30:32 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
The only thing I want is that audio of my movies on the time line is included in the virtual camera (external) output

It already is !

You don't need Virtual Audio Cable to feed Skype with Audio from vMix

Regarding NDI Monitor, just install NDI Tools from Newtek and use it, it is pretty much straight forward.

Guillaume
DWAM  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 9:38:41 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

BTW, one more (important) thing:

- There is no need to use NDI Virtual Camera when Skype (or Zoom or any other software) is one the SAME host as vMix.
Just use vMix native Virtual Devices by activating EXTERNAL out.

https://www.vmix.com/help21/ExternalOutput1.html

- NDI Virtual Camera is only required when Skype, Zoom, etc..., are on a DIFFERENT computer as vMix on the same LAN. To me this is the best recommended workflow.

Guillaume
h2video.nl  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 11:21:30 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
tried this but my skype does not see the vmix video or vmix audio inputs.

did something change with a skype update, I can see them using vlc
stefan
DWAM  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 12:19:36 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
tried this

What is "this" ?
h2video.nl  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 12:25:48 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

the skype input on the same machine
h2video.nl  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 12:27:28 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

i only see the webcam in skype and no vmix audio as well. thats what i was referring to regarding the this of skype input
DWAM  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 12:44:12 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Did you activate EXTERNAL ?

as I wrote above :
Quote:
There is no need to use NDI Virtual Camera when Skype (or Zoom or any other software) is one the SAME host as vMix.
Just use vMix native Virtual Devices by activating EXTERNAL out.

This has not changed for at least 4 or 5 years!

Only the NDI adoption by Skype lately makes it easier to feed vMix from Skype with guest video and audio (no longer need screen cap and virtual audio cables)
h2video.nl  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 2:40:24 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

yes of course. as i wrote: i can see them in vlc both but not in skype... same machine, same everything....

zenvideo  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 4:12:25 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
Quote:

I didn't mention NDI or NewTek's tools - I was talking about the vMix Video (virtual camera) external device that is a part of vMix, which I'd assumed was what was being referred to in the initial post.
DWAM  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 5:09:36 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Oh I see... My bad, sorry... I thought you were both talking about Newtek "Virtual Camera" software as vMix virtual device is called "vMix Video". Got confused with the incorrect naming of the tools really used. Sorry