logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vidkid  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:01:18 AM(UTC)
vidkid

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Good day again. I am having a great time getting to know vMix and video,but I want to know something. I am using "videos" for some of my inputs and I want to know,is it better to use an uncompressed format or is something like Quick Time files going to be just as fast and quickly responsive when "triggered".

Thanks for the help.

vidkid
Egriswold  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 10:51:02 AM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
in order to get the alpha information you're pretty much stuck with uncompressed. Even "MOV" files are set to animation which is equal to uncompressed "AVI"
granted there are codecs which support alpha such as Matrox's. Not sure how these would act in vMix. Realize anytime you're using a compressed video also known as a "codec"
the software must decompress it in memory to used it. This adds CPU loading and time processing.
Unless the overlaying animations are extremely long I would recommend trying a "PNG" sequence for this.
thanks 1 user thanked Egriswold for this useful post.
vidkid on 12/24/2013(UTC)
vidkid  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:31:02 PM(UTC)
vidkid

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks very much for the information Egrisworld,you have always been helpful to me. So,I am not sure that I completely understand your reply. I am not using movies as frame by frame animation,which is what I think you are explaining (hence the "PNG" suggestion).These are just short 5-15 second animations that will loop until another animation(mini movie) is overlayed. So,given that explanation,when I create these animations should I render them as avi or mp4,in your opinion? I am using the x64 version of vMix,so typical QuickTime movies are incompatible with x32 bit version,as I know you are completely aware. "Zippy" performance is paramount,as I plan to use this setup in a live concert/vj mode from time to time.

Once again,thanks and I look forward to hearing your recommendation.

vidkid
petraproductions  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:25:08 PM(UTC)
petraproductions

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
If it is used as an overlay I have have good luck using flash (.flv) I use them quite often in sports graphics.