logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davesuemcbride  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 14, 2013 3:27:42 AM(UTC)
davesuemcbride

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Martin - was wondering if there's still investigation regarding ever-increasing delays in RTSP streams - Cubes specifically?

A few notes about what I'm seeing:

- Running 11.0.0.63 x64
- These are Cube model 220's, hardwired, 1080 @ 30, main profile, various bitrates
- Amount of delay varies between Cube's, and runs about 5% (a few seconds per minute running)
- VLC used as a control test - no delay experienced with VLC

I'm having the issue even with just one Cube, but for fun I wired two Cube's to an HDMI splitter so they were processing the same signal. As expected, they started out in sync with each other, but both began to show noticable drift within 30 seconds or so. IOW, they were both off, but by different amounts. For the VLC control test, I opened a separate instance for each Cube, and they stayed in perfect sync with the input and each other throughout.

I think I saw a post about an experimental fix involving non-standard timing from Cube's - is this the latest news, and would I expect to have that fix in 11.63 with default input settings and/or settings carried over from pre-11 usage?

I've got a decent test setup rigged, so I'm better able to test any ideas you have than a few months ago when we last kicked this around.

Mostly unrelated, but I did have success trying a Ubiquiti airCam using RTSP, and that didn't show any delay. Not the world's greatest camera, but a good value at <$100 and super-easy to rig and manage, especially if already using Ubiquiti links.

Thanks!
David McBride
admin  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 14, 2013 5:39:20 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Hi David,

Have a look at the statistics window in vMix as it will show what the buffer levels are for the Cube.
http://www.vmix.com.au/help11/Statistics.html

Regards,

Martin
vMix
wscawebcast  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:20:51 AM(UTC)
wscawebcast

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Martin, I'm experiencing the same issue. Config:

- vMix 11.0.0.66 x64
- Intel i7 3.5GHz, 16gb RAM, Vidia GTX 660 2gb GPU, Win 7 x64
- 10 Axis P3346 cameras, capturing 1920x1080 @ 30fps, outputting h.264 1280x720 @ 30fps
- 10 Stream inputs (RTSP over TCP), one for each camera
- 5 Colour inputs (green) with MultiView for two Stream (camera) inputs, providing 5 single views showing two cameras in each

Started webcast at 8am today, didn't notice any issues during 2.5 hours. Restarted webcast at 12pm, started to see delays in a single Stream input, eventually as long as 1-2 minutes. This meant that one of two cameras in a view was "live", while one was significantly delayed. Rebooted prior to next webcast at 4pm, problem reappeared after an hour or so. Rebooted again prior to 8pm webcast, and problem appeared after just a few minutes of streaming.

Output to the streaming platform provider remains constant at 25-30 fps, but one camera will be "out of sync" by a significant amount. Cameras are also outputting streams via VLC to separate monitors, which do NOT have this issue. Clearly, there's a problem with vMix.

Buffer levels for all the Stream inputs were default: 300ms and Low Latency unchecked. Should I change these, or any other suggestions to solve this problem?

Thanks!
admin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:37:54 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi,

What is the CPU usage like in vMix?
Usually this will happen if you don't have enough CPU to decode all the streams.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
wscawebcast  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:04:09 AM(UTC)
wscawebcast

CPU is about 40% and Render is 30-45ms. I've got all Input thumbnails minimized, so the only render impact is the Live Frame. This wasn't happening initially, but seems to be getting worse over time.
admin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:13:35 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

What does the vMix statistics window look like when the delay becomes significant?
30-45ms is slower than 30fps, so a delay will start to build up if it remains that high consistently.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
wscawebcast  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:47:01 PM(UTC)
wscawebcast

Is there a way to tell vMix not to buffer? So that, if it starts to fall behind, it should abandon remaining frames and move to "now"?
wscawebcast  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:21:57 PM(UTC)
wscawebcast

Also, if the problem is CPU load / Render time, wouldn't that cause a delay to all the contents of the Live frame, not just a single camera (of four) that are mixed (overlays) in the Live frame?
admin  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:03:59 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

It's hard to know without seeing the statistics window when an input starts to fall behind.

vMix does speed up if the buffer starts to grow, but if the CPU is not capable of decoding quick enough
it will not be able to catch up quickly enough.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
wscawebcast  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 6:45:44 PM(UTC)
wscawebcast

Following up on this. Over the course of a week of webcasts, I found that:

- With no changes to FMLE settings, "delay" in one or more IP streamed cameras could grow to 20-30 seconds, but would eventually correct itself. This was not a problem with the sending camera; viewing the stream via VLC on another PC showed no delay. Clearly, vMix was unable to handle all the incoming content, so some was being delayed. Sometimes, it was necessary to Open Preset to stop the delay.

- After adding a secondary graphic card (nVidia GTX 660), Render Time was reduced to <30ms overall, and often <20ms. This dramatically improved on the problem.

- After changing FMLE settings to "drop frames" when necessary, the problem disappeared for the most part. Delay was infrequent, no more than 10 seconds behind, and usually corrected itself in 30 seconds or less.

It would be handy if there were a setting in vMix to favor "most recent" and to drop frames when rendering if vMix ever falls behind by >500ms or similar.
wscawebcast  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:13:21 PM(UTC)
wscawebcast

More follow up. After a weekend of webcasts, I'm seeing very, very long delays, as much as 15 minutes, on some IP cameras. I've sent screenshots and stats to Martin for review.