logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pejeverde  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 6, 2018 12:06:02 AM(UTC)
Pejeverde

Groups: Registered
Spain

Hello.

Im an working in a proyect where I need to open a lot of NDI sources (about 50). Each one consumes 25Mbps of bandwidth approximately anytime, although they arent live in program. If I activate "Low bandwidth mode" this net usage comes down a lot.

My request is: Is it possible to implement a function to enable low bandwidth mode on ndi sources that are not in program/preview? So they dont waste unused bandwidth when not used and switch to high quality when passed to preview/program.

Many thanks!
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 6, 2018 12:38:48 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
The fact that you cite 25 Mbps per source points to NDI-HX. You must be using PTZ cameras or Newtek Sparks.

NDI auto aggregates bandwidth across connections. If you add a second (or 3rd) network connection to your vMix host you will increase the available bandwidth proportionally, even with no change to vMix itself.
kane  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2018 8:24:36 AM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
25Mbps is much higher than what NDI|HX would operate at (which probably is more like 15Mb/s maximum). I'm wondering if he forgot to type a '1' in front of the 25 for 125Mb/s which would be common for 1080p59.94 video.

As to Pejeverde original question, if you need that workflow, contact me.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2018 1:56:02 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Check NDI Router from Zen Computer. It allows to switch and route NDI sources on the fly in order to avoid the need of "loading" these 50 sources all together as I believe you don't need them all at once

Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
mjgraves on 10/9/2018(UTC)
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 5:57:15 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
50 full NDI sources at 130 mbps each = 6.5 Gbps

Well into 10G networking.
DWAM  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 9:08:58 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
50 full NDI sources at 130 mbps each = 6.5 Gbps
Well into 10G networking.

Network is not the main/only issue. Don't forget CPU power needed for 50 NDI streams on a single host

Quote:
But maybe he will still need something to see all the sources to know whats next with action to switch?

I totally agree, but I don't think it's possible to "monitor" (I mean monitor not just barely see if sthg's moving) with vMix's input bar. Thus multiview is required. For 50 inputs, that's at least 3 monitors with 16 inputs each. That's a lot and imho risky. For critical operations, I'd go for a multi computer setup only for monitoring, +1 for routing to the production unit. This does not solve the bandwidth issue (it simply multiplies it) but at least, if one computer crashes, you don't lose everything.
When you're about to design a solution for 50 NDI inputs, you must have the appropriate budget to make it work in terms of networking and hardware. Expecting to use a single vMix for this is just a joke or insanity...

Guillaume
ask  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 9:29:42 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
You also need to factor in all of the other data travelling over the network at any time, not just the NDI data. Usual rule of thumb in the IT world is that Average Peak Demand should not exceed 60% of Available Capacity.....and for video, the rule is APD should not exceed 40%. So on a 10G network you really only have 4-6g to play with, and that is if it is dedicated to video.