logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MediamanNYC  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2018 5:09:32 PM(UTC)
MediamanNYC

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This would be a handy feature to add to vMix.

It's great that vMix supports PTZ cameras like the PTZOptics line right from the application. I have setup systems at my office training facility and at one of my churches using vMix and PTZOptics Cameras. While handy to be able to control the cameras from vMix, the interface and response can be a little clunky. Especially when you are trying to quickly frame a shot before going live. Presets are handy for fixed targets but when your target is randomly located in an audience, it can be tedious trying to get the framing and zooming on target quickly.

A great feature would be the ability to click on any point in the preview (or program) monitor window and have the PTZ camera currently being displayed there instantly move to frame that click point in the center of the frame. Even better would be the ability to click on the preview (or program) window and drag to open a selected area box. The camera would them move and zoom to center and zoom in on that area to fill the frame.

I have some cheap PTZ CCTV cameras around my house that can do this through their web interface and associated VMS software.
Using either method, one has merely to click on a point and the camera quickly moves to center it. Select an area of a frame and the camera quickly moves to zoom and center it. Reverse the selection drag and the camera zooms back out.

It would make framing a shot incredibly quick and easy. For example, quickly and accurately framing people in the audience during a Q&A session. Or jumping between congregants during a song service.

vMix has complete control over the PTZ function of these cameras, and it can read and process an entire video frame. Would it be a stretch to have vMix read the click point on a program or preview window (or even on another monitor showing something like the multiview) and automatically send the appropriate commands to the PTZ Cam to center that point?

Is this a feature anyone else might find useful?