logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
John Barson  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 9:41:40 AM(UTC)
John Barson

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This simply may not be possible but would be fantastic if it could be done. I produce interviews. I am now producing third-party interviews where I am just acting as the producer where vmix call 1 is interviewing vmix call 2. In vmix call I would like to be able to have the guest (or both guests) using a properly lighted green screen. I would like to set up the call in multiview with a background image green screened in. That would mean the ability to chromakey the vmix call as layer 2 in multiview with the background image set to layer one where you can chroma key layer 2. Does this defy the laws of physics or is it potentially possible?
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2018 5:10:52 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
This topic was already discussed in the forum a while ago. Did you search before posting? I guess you didn't...

It should not be a feature request as it does not concern vMix software development, it's not a missing feature in vMix, it's just a way of using it so that's your responsability.

It's potentially possible if your remote guests are shot in front of a green screen. However green screen keying requires a very high quality image source to work well. Best is to use uncompressed signal, 10 bit has better results than 8 bit, the better the camera, the better the keying, everything must be very sharp and precise and very well lit if you want good results. Doing chroma keying in a live production is even more demanding than in post-production 'cos settings can't be adjusted for each segment...

vMix Call being basically a H.264 encoded feed transmitted over the internet with an extremely high compression and low bitrate, in 8 bits and 4:2:0 subsampling, you understand easily that it technically can work (it's just a matter of doing it) but will give very poor results due to the nature of the source. You might have "acceptable" results with bald people for example but as soon as your guests have hair (especially long or curly) or depending on their clothes, the keying will be terribly bad... I don't know your standards or expectations, it might be good for you anyway, but for me it's just crap and I don't want my name on such a thing.

Just try and you'll know...

Guillaume
niemi  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2018 8:46:43 AM(UTC)
niemi

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
DWAM wrote:
However green screen keying requires a very high quality image source to work well. Best is to use uncompressed signal, 10 bit has better results than 8 bit...

vMix itself supports up to 8-bit 4:2:2.

If it was possible to support 10-bit in vMix, would this allow for considerably better green screen results when camera as well as the capture card supports it?
mavik  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2018 8:56:57 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
This is pure math. The better and more granular information you have of a picture the better you can apply filters. So 10 bit 4:2:2 workflow would theoretically enable better experiences. 4:4:4 would top that also. For a file based workflow BMD has announced a new raw format. Could be interesting to see support for that.