logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
johnduffy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 8, 2018 1:56:23 PM(UTC)
johnduffy

Groups: Registered
Man

Hi,

This is probably a no-brainer question to some, but I'm new to live streaming and would like to confirm something that I haven't been able to ascertain on the forum or elsewhere.

I've tested out at home streaming to YouTube and Facebook live using 720p 1.5mbps, with the second stream ticked to use the same settings as for the first. But I'll be moving the system to another location which has a lower bandwidth than what I have at home. I'm therefore not sure if both streams will work ok there, or whether I'll have to scale back to one destination/stream.

So, my question is, if I have both streams using the same settings, do two streams go out from the PC to two separate destinations requiring 2x 1.5mbps? Or, is one single stream sent to two destinations at the same time requiring only 1x 1.5mbps but with additional information to route it to two destinations? I suspect that it is 2x, but I'd just like to have it confirmed. Can anyone help?

Thanks
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 8, 2018 2:15:05 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi and welcome

2 streams at 1.5 Mbits = 3 Mbits.

You can easily check this by monitoring your upload speed on both your computer and your router.

However, 720p at 1.5 Mbits is already very low, I (and all major platforms) recommend at least 3/4 Mbits for 720p if you want/need to improve your image quality. It's a good practise as a streamer to check and conform to recommended settings by resolution on each platform you're using.

Guillaume
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 8, 2018 2:18:41 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
I don't like these services but in case you don't know, some cloud services offer simulcasting as a service. You stream one feed to them, they replicate it to several platforms.

Check Restream, Switchboard and so on... They are all discussed very often in this forum... Dig!
johnduffy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 8, 2018 2:25:30 PM(UTC)
johnduffy

Man

DWAM wrote:
Hi and welcome

2 streams at 1.5 Mbits = 3 Mbits.

You can easily check this by monitoring your upload speed on both your computer and your router.

However, 720p at 1.5 Mbits is already very low, I (and all major platforms) recommend at least 3/4 Mbits for 720p if you want/need to improve your image quality. It's a good practise as a streamer to check and conform to recommended settings by resolution on each platform you're using.

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume, thanks for your replies. That is helpful to have that confirmed.

Yes, I've just seen one restreamer service today, but I'll look into others like those you mentioned. It's working ok at the low bit rate. It might help cut down on the needed bandwidth since much of the image is static. But I'll have to use a restreamer or upgrade our broadband connection if I want to improve the quality. That's good to know for when I need to get additional costs approved.

Thanks again.