logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
John Barson  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 2:14:57 PM(UTC)
John Barson

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Please, please, please add a vmix call option to the multicorder function. It currently only works with NDI cameras. I can't believe this is not a major request. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Here's my reasoning. It would be great for post-production to be able to have the raw stream from the call so you can fix the audio and video of your call separately if there are any problems and you can mix a more professional final product. As someone who does one on one interviews and does not have a production assistant, I have to produce the show live to recording. I'm concentrating on my interview and not thinking about all of the functions that I can add in post. I've lost several interviews because the audio was wonky on the guest's end that I could have fixed if I had a separate audio channel. Recording the guest to a separate file in multicorder would solve that problem. It would also allow me to fix lighting and color issues in Premiere before using the vmix call video in a final mix. And I would like to be able to time making the guest full screen when they are talking and then bring in appropriate images on screen like book pictures, stats, video insert etc.

Recording the vmix call to a separate file along with a separate file for my camera while recording the main show would solve a lot of challenges and give us a lot more flexibility.

Am I making sense?
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 4:52:12 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
First I'm gonna say that the main role of a live production software is to produce LIVE correctly. That's why post-production concern is not a priority in vMix I believe... It makes sense.

Second, nothing prevents you from getting the issues you're facing. It's just a matter of organization... For example I always test remote guests connections BEFORE going live so that I can set everything up and ask my remote guests to add light or adjust audio levels or just improve their framing before it's too late.

I anyway understand your concern...

As a workaround you can still configure your vMixCall input as an EXTERNAL output in order to record it separately with any software that can ingest live feeds (like VLC, OBS, FFMPEG for example), either on the same host or a remote computer thanks to NDI...

Sometimes it's not the best option to ask vMix to do everything when it is so easy to find alternate ways to the same results...

Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
John Barson on 9/6/2018(UTC)
John Barson  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:23:09 PM(UTC)
John Barson

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for that tip. I do understand what you are saying. Internet transmission is fickle. Just because it works on setup does not mean it will maintain that quality over a 1 hour taping session. And light changes too if the guest is not under ideal lighting conditions. I don't see any instructions anywhere on how to setup NDI and record to an external app. I'll try and figure it out.

I paid to upgrade to the 4K multicorder hoping I could record my vmix call independently. My bad. But, just because it can't do it currently it does not mean it is a bad feature. It is actually a very important feature. Take Wowza for example. When they released the beta version for testing back in the early 2,000's I got very excited. Not for video streaming. For audio streaming because I was in the process of putting my radio station online. The problem back then was audio quality vs bandwidth. Wowza was the first platform using the AC3 codec which meant, to me, I could quadruple concurrent listeners from about 1,200 to almost 5,000 per server because of the bandwidth I would save and make it more financially viable. I called Wowza and asked them if I could just split out the audio stream because I didn't need the video. They said it was not possible. It is a video server and you can't pull out the audio stream. I was a little disappointed. The following Saturday I got a venti Starbucks and sat down with my code editor and opened up their code. It literally took me an hour to hack the software and launch my radio station using their "video" server. Another couple of hours and I had coded the graphics, song title, artist, album cover, song lists, or if it was one of my talk shows, the host, guest, and topic etc. I called them the following Monday and asked again if there was any possible way to use their server for a radio station with just audio and they said nope, can't be done. I asked them to go to my website and listen to that radio station. They did. I told them they just launched the best audio streaming platform available for radio stations because of their AC3 codec. They couldn't believe it. I told them how I did it and asked their permission to use the server that way (they did give me a free copy when they launched the official version). I told them they would be crazy not to launch an audio streaming server even though they specialized in video because it was a pretty big market, and they already had the perfect solution. And so the Wowza audio streaming server was born.

I love vmix. Don't get me wrong. But allowing us to record the vmix call separately turns vmix into a powerhouse production system. It gives small production houses and individuals a much more complete solution. As it is I do not stream live (yet) with vmix. I only use it to record vmix calls for my interviews. In post I do all of the titling, news feeds, additional graphics etc. before I post it to our website and social media. It is fantastic for that. But it would be a much more valuable tool if you could record everything separately. Or at least your camera and a call. It would make it a lot easier for video bloggers to produce a more professional end product. And that is a really growing market.

My 2 cents...
John Barson attached the following image(s):
internet-radio-station-steup.jpg (649kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ask  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 1:29:16 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
John Barson wrote:
I don't see any instructions anywhere on how to setup NDI and record to an external app. I'll try and figure it out.

Simply install Newtek NDI Tools on another PC on your subnet. Launch Studio Monitor. Select the vMix Call as your input and hit the record button on the lower left of screen.

Configure your vMixCall input as an EXTERNAL output as DWAM has said.
thanks 1 user thanked ask for this useful post.
John Barson on 9/7/2018(UTC)