logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mburel1980  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2018 2:46:19 AM(UTC)
mburel1980

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hi Guys,

here is the scenario. I want to put 2 PTZ Cams on top of each other (A + B) for a soccer game.

What I want to achieve is: camera A does a wide shot and camera B a closer one (zoom level tbd). As the players (and ball) are moving I would like to control A and B simultaneously with just one Xkeys or Xbox Controller.

Is this possible as the 2 Cameras will have different IP addresses or will it confuse vMix not knowing which camera to control?

Thanks for any advice...

Regards,

Marc
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2018 3:29:29 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Even if it's technically possible, it's rather a bad idea anyway.

If your plan is to control both cameras at once, you can simply use one motorized head, put the wide angle cam on it and then install the closeup cam on top of the first cam. But it will suck, 'cos if you do your framing based on wide angle, the closeup shot won't be good, on the other side if you follow action based on closeup shot, the wide angle is very unlikely to be usable. Anles vary on zoom level.

Same problem if you use 2 motorized heads... if it's possible anyway...

Especially for football (soccer). Even if you decide to use this when play is stopped, you are very likely to need to pan or tilt one cam when the other is good and ok.

There are limits to the will to reduce gear and staff. Unless you don't mind producing shit... As the case may be you don't need to invest in anything, just do shit with what you already have. So far I know you are concerned about quality and so are your clients, so just forget about this shitty idea!

Lowering the budgets is not the solution, it's the opposite... Producing sports with PTZ is a wrong ide for a start. Sports need manned cameras. Point is to use good cameramen who add value to your production.

If you don't believe me, just install 2 cams on top of each other on a tripod, one for wide angle, one for closeup shot and try to follow nicely a cat in your garden or a grandma in the street. It's impossible to get 2 USABLE shots at the same time. This is not how it works... Optics and framing are things to consider. FRAMING is the #1 concern.

Bien à toi
Guillaume

PS : no PTZ for sports as a rule. Add more static cams if you want but stick to 2 GOOD cam ops...
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
mburel1980 on 9/1/2018(UTC)
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2018 4:10:18 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
To make it extremely clear :

a 5° move on a pan with a 24mm lens equals something like a 50° pan with a 200mm lens.

That's the reason why with long focal lenses sometimes only the wind on cams can make the shot shaking so much.
niemi  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2018 8:02:24 AM(UTC)
niemi

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
mburel1980 wrote:
Hi Guys,

here is the scenario. I want to put 2 PTZ Cams on top of each other (A + B) for a soccer game.

What I want to achieve is: camera A does a wide shot and camera B a closer one (zoom level tbd). As the players (and ball) are moving I would like to control A and B simultaneously with just one Xkeys or Xbox Controller.

Is this possible as the 2 Cameras will have different IP addresses or will it confuse vMix not knowing which camera to control?

Thanks for any advice...

Regards,

Marc

You can do this with SKAARHOJ controllers, send Kasper an email:

info at skaarhoj com
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2018 1:02:09 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ mburel1980

Maybe this video will help to answer your question:

Ice
richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2018 2:08:45 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Well, it sort of works. But I think Guilla's concerns regarding proper framing is highly valid.

I stacked two PTZ Optics 12x SDI Gen2 (NDI-HX) and used a Logitech flightstick as controller. Shortcuts setup by doubling the relevant ones in the template included with vMix. And then changing the controlled Input from "Preview" to the corresponding NDI Inputs. Sort of same thing as explained in vMix's video that Ice links to. I guess Skaarhoj's PTZ controllers can be reprogrammed in a similar fashion, although I do not yet know how (got my PTZ Fly yesterday).

Here's the result (with table hockey instead of football)

Enjoy!
thanks 2 users thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
mburel1980 on 9/3/2018(UTC), seb666 on 9/10/2018(UTC)
niemi  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 2:52:01 AM(UTC)
niemi

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Quote:
Here's the result (with table hockey instead of football)

Thanks for creating that video Richard :)

Quote:
got my PTZ Fly yesterday

How do you like it? I'm considering a Live Fly. I was looking at X-keys, but the keys are flimsy and fall off easily and just doesn't feel that well built. With Skaarhoj you also get the ability to control not only two PTZ Optics but in my case two vMix machines simultaneously for redundancy.