logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sivart832z  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2013 9:34:51 PM(UTC)
sivart832z

Groups: Registered

Hello!

I've been using vmix HD for several months now, and absolutely love it. It's an amazing piece of software at an incredible price! There's one feature that I'd love to have added - and it's a big one. It might be getting outside your intended scope for the software, but I wanted to put it out there for consideration. I'd really like to be able to drive additional fullscreen outputs from vmix. I'd consider this an HD Pro level feature - and if you added this functionality, I'd upgrade to the Pro license no question!

Let me give a common scenario. I use vmix in a venue that consists of a main theater-style room, plus a lot of additional space for people to walk around in. The theater has a large presentation screen, flanking LCD displays, and then additional suspended monitors partway back in the room for people in the back seats to be able to see. I run vmix on a media server computer with 3 Intensity Pro inputs and 2 video cards w/ 2 DVI outputs each. We use one output to show the software and another to show the full-screen output, and the other two go unused or just show a powerpoint or static graphic. What we'd really like to do is be able to show a presentation on the big screen, a camera on the back screens, plus a camera with presentation overlay elsewhere in the venue... but when we want to roll a video clip, roll it on all three at once and have it be perfectly synchronized.

This kind of multi-display synchronized capability would really move Vmix HD Pro into a whole new class of product - something that's starting to compete with the features of software like Watchout. That said - you've got a user interface that's totally different to software like watchout, and I don't know of any product out there right now that offers a blend of the two. I also feel like, given where you are with the program already, this might actually be something you could do - and you've shown yourself to be a very competent programmer - vmix is far more stable than some other software products I've used for other production purposes!

So, how do I imagine it working? I'm flexible, but I picture the ability to, from the settings menu, indicate if you want 1 (default), 2, or 3 fullscreen outputs (assuming that many video outputs there are on the computer). Depending on this selection, the preview and output windows would get split into 2 or 3 smaller windows. Two new buttons would also be added to each input in the input bar - lets say buttons labeled [O2] and [O3] for output 2 and output 3. Clicking the input would put it onto screen 1 of the preview, clicking [O2] would put it into screen 2 of the preview, etc. Quickplay and Cut would continue to work only with output 1. When you hit any of the main transition buttons, everything you've loaded up in the preview window will use the same transition and switch at the same time. Thus, I could load a desktop capture to output 1, camera to 2, and composite to 3, cut to it for output, and then queue up a video onto all 3 screens, hit the fade button, and we're running a video everywhere. At the end, I fade back to the 3 different options that would have swapped over to preview while the videos were running. I could also have it so I had 3 different videos - produced so that they go together, running across 3 screens on the media wall. Really professional looking stuff!

Alternatively, you could set it up so that additional outputs ran over the network the same way desktop capture works now, but in reverse. It would probably require a gigabit link. You could even create the display software that gets installed on remote computers, and require a license of some sort for each one. Just try to keep it under $2000. :)

I'm sure there would be complications, but if you're looking for features to add to the Pro version to make it stand out above regular HD - this would be a huge one!