logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
michaelrb  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2018 12:14:19 PM(UTC)
michaelrb

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
When I use vmixcall, I cannot hear the guest unless I use the audio bus attached to my system sound. This creates a 4 second delay which the guest hears. If I don't use the bus for my system sound, the guest hears everything well without delay, but I hear nothing. Attached are some shots of the vmix and audio settings. Please help.
File Attachment(s):
Mixing board.JPG (2,587kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
michaelrb attached the following image(s):
Audio Settings.JPG (49kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
Buses.JPG (52kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
vmix call set up.JPG (38kb) downloaded 10 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
michaelrb  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2018 12:32:43 PM(UTC)
michaelrb

Man
United States

Here is a picture of my Mackie setup.
File Attachment(s):
Mixing board.JPG (2,587kb) downloaded 24 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
zenvideo  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2018 1:09:59 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
michaelrb wrote:
When I use vmixcall, I cannot hear the guest unless I use the audio bus attached to my system sound.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "the audio bus attached to my system sound"? It's not clear what the signal path is between vMix and your ears. Does it involve the Mackie mixer in some way? If so, there's no way of knowing what's going where (from your various pictures).

michaelrb  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2018 3:18:19 PM(UTC)
michaelrb

Man
United States

In my audio setup, bus B is connected to Conexant HD Audio which is the audio my computer uses to hear everything. Videos, mp3s, etc... My computer output (Conexant HD Audio) is connected to my mixing board. I hear everything from my headsets attached to the same mixing board. I posted a picture of the mixing board if that helps you. My question would be, where is the audio from the guest on a vmixcall sent?
zenvideo  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2018 12:30:55 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
michaelrb wrote:
In my audio setup, bus B is connected to Conexant HD Audio which is the audio my computer uses to hear everything. Videos, mp3s, etc... My computer output (Conexant HD Audio) is connected to my mixing board. I hear everything from my headsets attached to the same mixing board.

If Bus B goes via the Conexant HD audio device to your mixer, and assuming your mixer is just acting as a headphone amplifier to feed your headset, then why not just route the vMix caller's audio to bus B as well, so that you hear it in your headset?

I'm guessing the answer might be that the mixer is adding other sources to that feed from the computer AND sending that mixed output back into vMix as another source, which is an obvious "No No" in my eyes. You need a more sophisticated mixer with multiple independent mix-bus outputs, either in the form of Groups or Aux sends (with pre/post fade options) - not unlike vMix with it's Master/A/B busses. A simple mixer (eg for PA applications) with a single "main out" mix can either be used as a monitor mixer (for headsets) or as a source for vMix in your scenario, but not as both. A multi-bus mixer allows you to set up one mix for your headsets (inc the vMix caller) and another to send into vMix (minus the vMix caller, so their audio doesn't get send back to them with the delay, but they get to hear everything else). This "mix minus" stuff all gets taken care of by vMix - if you do all your audio mixing within vMix - but understandably it can't cope with being signals being taken out into an external mixer and sent back in on a different input.
thanks 1 user thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
michaelrb on 8/27/2018(UTC)
michaelrb  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 1:41:31 PM(UTC)
michaelrb

Man
United States

Thanks for your help. I solved this problem by doing everything digital. Comnputer only....No mixer. All is OK except that the main reason I was using a mixer was to get calls via a special device, Blue Mix. Worked great, now I'm stuck with SKYPE for getting calls.
adimw  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 5:45:32 PM(UTC)
adimw

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
michaelrb wrote:
Thanks for your help. I solved this problem by doing everything digital. Comnputer only....No mixer. All is OK except that the main reason I was using a mixer was to get calls via a special device, Blue Mix. Worked great, now I'm stuck with SKYPE for getting calls.

Did you see Skype is testing NDI? Means you can pipe it straight into vMix!