logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nowski  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 10:26:46 AM(UTC)
nowski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi there, we're trying to plan an event which will be in the same building but with two stages, one we will probably use regular SDI inputs, but the other we don't have the hardware to duplicate nor the time to swap the kit to the new locations.
One stage will be full HD input, the other using phones/tablets as remote cameras.

I'm thinking that an option would be to have three or four mobile vmix call inputs at the second location, but wonder how the sync between shots might work - we will have a strong dedicated network.

Previously we have used Switcher Studio (an IOS switching and streaming system) for live events, which works pretty well for up to four remote camera inputs and has other benefits such as local recording on each device etc.

I wonder if there is any simple way to send that stream from Switcher Studio to vmix so that we can just use it as a network input to vmix essentially a second discrete multi camera feed.
The only option in Switcher Studio apart from the usual streaming destinations, is RTMP - I can't think of a way to send that to the computer running vmix without a round trip out to a remote rtmp server and back in to vmix via rtmp input type.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Many thanks

Nick
TuesdaysLive  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 10:34:36 AM(UTC)
TuesdaysLive

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
It is out of the question to setup a local RTMP server?

Just a thought.

(A starting place might be: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-set-up-your-own-private-rtmp-server-using-nginx.50/)
thanks 2 users thanked TuesdaysLive for this useful post.
mjgraves on 8/24/2018(UTC), nowski on 8/24/2018(UTC)
nowski  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 11:39:35 AM(UTC)
nowski

I will try that, it looks like this might work on a raspberry pi so can test - thanks
nowski  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 12:13:46 PM(UTC)
nowski

Good lord! it works.
Just installed it on a Rasperry Pi 3(?) and have low server load rtmp stream which I can pick up in vmix. latency about 9 seconds, but suspect this is the Switcher Studio encoding latency.
However it means I can run a 2nd stage video submix into vmix to that we can swap locations at the event, stage 1 will be SDI local cameras, stage 2 the output of the Switcher Studio streaming setup which can then go out to the main stream when we want.
Nice.
I was interested in the vmixcall solution too, but bot sure of the camera sync with maybe three vmixcall inputs used as cam 1, 2, 3 in the same room. An how you might sync the audio of say a board mix, coming in from an audio interface into the main vmix machine.
Switcher studio compensates for the delays and what you get is already OK, assuming you have a iOS compatible audio interface to plug in to.
you can also zoom, tap to focus, control exposure etc from the switching device to control the remote cameras.

Would be great one day if someone came up with a solution for iOS that allows multiple phones/tablets to be used as remote camera, with a talkback channel to the operator. Or maybe thats possible?