logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Duff TV  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2018 11:53:52 PM(UTC)
Duff TV

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
We record live forums/speech nights and similar events and need often need to run PowerPoint slide shows from a laptop into Vmix.

Today I am having trouble getting the PowerPoint via a Display Port output into Vmix. Note when using a laptop with HDMI output I also have never been able to get a signal into Vmix. The hardware on my PC is both the older Back Magic intensity Pro (HDMI INPUT) and the older Quad (4 SDI Inputs).

The only solution to date has been to come out of a laptop via VGA into a VGA to HDMI scaler and then into a HDMI to SDI converter along and into Vmix. It's always worked fine but of course you lose resolution due to VGA.

Q. Is there a known reliable Display port/DVI/VGA to HDMI scaler out there? I will need one that also carries audio. I can see a whole range here on this site.

https://www.cyp.com.au/c...vi-dl-vga-to-hdmi-scaler

Ideally one that has HDMI, DVI and Display Port INPUT that scales to HDMI and then into Vmix.

The laptop I am testing today has a resolution of 1366x768 or we can drop it down to 1280x768. We are going out of the display port using a display port to HDMI adapter and can get a picture into my 7' camera monitor but not VMIX.

One solution but still not perfect image quality wise was that we have just tried using an ethernet connection via a switcher and it worked HOWEVER the resolution seems to be not as good as the laptop sending the PowerPoint. Pretty similar to VGA.

Anyway of making it sharper?

Thanks

Martin & Gerry
Tasmania Australia

richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 8:19:41 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Sorry, no straight forward answer here. There are a few issues that needs to be adressed...

First of all, DisplayPort (DP) is not the same thing as DVI. And DVI is sometimes analog (not very often nowadays), sometimes digital. Analog DVI cannot be fed into a scaler that assumes digital input (even though the connectors almost look the same (different pins if you look carefully).

Black Magic's capture cards are very pecky in that you must specify exactly the source's right resolution and frame rate.
Loptops often output a resolution that is not exactly what you set it to in Windows. You can check if you have a monitor that can display what resolution it get's from the laptop.

An (better) alternative would be to use a Magewell HDMI USB dongle, or a Magewell Pro PCIe card that automatically adjusts to all things it can eat.

Some scalers just scale the resolution, not the frame rate. Some are limited to 1080i, and/or don't handle all PC resolutions - just video resolutions. A quick look in the manual for the CVP CS-802D that you link to SEEMS to be able to do what you need. But I find it hard to tell definetly.

Probably you will be able to use a HDMI-DVI or a DP-DVI adapter if you need to get HDMI into a scaler with a DVI/DP input.

Then you have EDID, and worse HDCP and Macs, see this discussion in Streaming idiots.

Finally, sometimes you need to split the signal from the laptop. One for your production and one for the projector (unless you feed the projector from your production). Might complicate things if you don't know what contact you have for the projector.

Good luck :)
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
AuditorRSTO on 1/17/2024(UTC)
streammediaevent  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:01:59 AM(UTC)
streammediaevent

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Currently we are working with Extron and Barco scalers to solve the same problem. But, check this cheaper options:

https://www.amazon.es/To...-Converter/dp/B0789MCJH5

https://www.amazon.es/vd...Controller/dp/B07G14GC38

To connect DP to HDMI:

https://www.amazon.es/UG...-Proyector/dp/B00B2HOURO

https://www.amazon.es/JD...-Adaptador/dp/B01I4MNZ70

We are using this capture card and it works very well. Supports any PC resolution up to 1080p60:

https://www.startech.com...e-hdmi-dvi-vga~USB3HDCAP

Hope it helps!
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 12:38:39 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Thanks Streammediaevent, the Startech capture cards look really interesting! But note the incompatible USB controllers (see below).

Whats's your experience re HDCP (and some Mac laptops in particular)?

From Startech' spec:
Confirmed compatible USB 3.0 host controllers: Intel, Renesas (NEC), VIA, AMD, Fresco FL1100
Incompatible USB 3.0 host controllers: ASmedia, Etron
A computer that supports USB 3.0 or higher is required. This product will not work with USB 2.0 or 1.1 controllers.
Will not record digitally encrypted content.
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 1:18:35 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I faced this at a technical conference where I had to be able to accept the output of any presenters laptop for use in live stream and/or local projection.

That meant being able to accept Mini-DP, HDMI and USB-C type connections.

The solution is simple:

(1) A few dongles/cables to allow you to arrive at an HDMI connection feeding...

(2) A Decimator MD-HX HDMI and SDI Cross Converter with Scaling & Frame Rate Conversion

Seriously, just set your desired output resolution and frame rates and forget about it. The Decimater will ensure that whatever the source delivers makes your capture card happy.

Well worth the investment.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
Peter B on 8/22/2018(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 1:41:46 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

All the above is basically correct. After almost 10 years of production at different venues one has to be prepared for that presenters use all kinds of laptops. And that different vanues accept different inputs. For examample, we are currently streaming
(with live sign interpretation and subtitles). This particular conference room only accept VGA and Barco's Click share. This time we don't need to tap any presenters laptop, but we send subtitles to the projector. This by converting HDMI to VGA.

Whenever Clickshare is used the only way to tap it (AFAIK) is to split the output from the Clickshare receiver. Or split at the projector (unless it happen to has signal out).

At least in Sweden very few venues provide a tap of the signal that is sent to the projector.
GTiDon  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 5:33:27 PM(UTC)
GTiDon

Just use NDI.
It makes all the capturing methods very old school
mjgraves  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 11:19:37 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
GTiDon wrote:
Just use NDI.
It makes all the capturing methods very old school

Where possible, NDI is a good solution.

In some cases that's just not possible. People sometimes won't (or can't) install the NDI capture app to their PC.

Or they have a PC running Linux. Is there an NDI capture app for Linux?