logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CurrieCLVS  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2018 5:19:41 PM(UTC)
CurrieCLVS

Groups: Registered

Sorry for my ignorance, I just downloaded the trial version and think this may be what I'm looking for.

I'd like to find a way to record Picture In Picture on my laptop using a video camera connected via a Magewell HDMI to USB dongle and a Digital Elmo connected through USB.

I'm hoping vMix will allow me to do this, instead of now having to run through a video switcher or mixer into an external capture hardware.

Is it possible to do this with vMix using these two input devices connected directly into my laptop?

Thanks...
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2018 1:55:56 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ CurrieCLVS

What is a Digital Elmo?
The Magewell should work fine and depending on your PC and the USB 3 port configurations will determine if or what else you can connect as an HD Camera Input.

Ice
CurrieCLVS  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2018 3:06:14 PM(UTC)
CurrieCLVS

An Elmo is a digital document camera. Used in some depositions and courtrooms to display documents on a monitor or screen. Sometimes, I need to be able to do picture in picture with witness going to small screen when document is being displayed and discussed - then switch back to witness full screen. Sometimes need to do a split screen with side by side images.

Elmo connects either through USB 3.0 or HDMI. Camera is HDMI to USB 3.0 dongle. So with both devices in my laptop, will Vmix allow me to add documents in a PIP mode?

Needs to be seamless with no interruption of conversation (audio thru the camera's HDMI).

mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2018 3:28:14 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
This is possible. Not difficult. Once the sources are available in vMix, the PIP is easy.

You have two USB video sources. That can be tricky. If connected to the same USB bus they might not both work.

A 1080p30 stream demands around 1.5 Gpps from the USB bus. A 1080p60 stream requires around 3.0 Gbps.

While USB 3.0 is supposed to support 5 Gbps, it's not stable enough to support streaming video at that entire rate.

Usually each USB 3.0 jack is on a separate bus, in which case both sources should work.

If both sources connect to the same USB 3.0 bus one might not work correctly.

If you connect a USB 3.0 hub to your laptop, and plug the sources into that, you are forcing both sources onto the same USB 3.0 bus. That's more likely to cause a problem.

Vuurmannetje  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2018 3:56:21 PM(UTC)
Vuurmannetje

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Since you have the hardware on hand, you can easily test the inputs. So basically you first add all inputs as inputs.

Then to create the pip there are 2 ways. One is overlays, which are the 1-4 buttons. But to make a smaller one, go into the input settings of an input, in general click create virtual input. Now in the settings for that virtual input adjust its size and position to fit your pip. Now click the overlay button on that virtual input to put it live.

The more effective way is to create a virtual input of the inout you want to be large. Go to multiview, and add the pip input to one of the slots. Click position next to it to resize and place it or use one of the presets on the right hand.
This way you can make a pip preset per situation, and easily swap to a fullscreen one when needed
ovinas  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2018 4:36:25 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Download the 60 days trial version and try it. Where's the problem? It all depends on your USB bus. The PiP is a piece of cake for vMix.