logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BETech  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2018 1:28:04 AM(UTC)
BETech

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Curious if any vMix User has had issues with creating video media with alpha channel using the Newtek codec. The editing system being used is GV Edius 7/8 exporting with the Quicktime wrapper and the Newtek SpeedHQ (SHQ0-SHQ9) codecs. There is no AVI option when exporting SpeedHQ under Edius 7/8. The SpeedHQ *.mov files will not be accepted by vMix upon creating an Input. Having completed testing using each of the SpeedHQ codecs (SHQ0 – SHQ9) with no success. Operating Systems used Win7Pro, Win8.1Pro and Win10. Current release of Edius 7 & 8, with the latest version of vMix. The Newtek SpeedHQ files will play in VLC Player (V3.0.3), and it reports that the files are OK and with Alpha channel.

I’m concerned that there may be a conflict between the Newtek SpeedHQ codecs installed, as I have those provided by vMix, the Newtek NDI Tools, and the separate Newtek Codec Pack for Edius. I trust these are all on the current version and are interoperable between the various applications. There is no version information provided in the properties dialog by Newtek accompanying these SpeedHQ codecs.
admin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2018 1:21:49 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4162 time(s) in 1495 post(s)
Hi,

There are no 64bit Quicktime Codecs for Windows which is why it won't play in vMix.
The SpeedHQ codec has only been recently added to VLC, FFMPEG etc, so it is going to be a while yet for those
releases to be mature enough to be incorporated into vMix.

In the meantime ProRes with Alpha, or Animation MOV are supported for alpha channel in vMix.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
BETech  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2018 10:33:06 AM(UTC)
BETech

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Thanks Martin. I suspected QuickTime maybe the source of the problem, and your confirmation of same. I had read on other forums Users having a similar issue with SpeedHQ. I followed up on SteveSpaw’s post and BuffTitler, and the SpeedHQ codec does in fact work with Alpha, so long as the wrapper is *.AVI. and the DCT option is selected as ON. Interestingly, this SpeedHQ AVI with alpha will work in vMix, Edius, PremierPro, DaVinci and probably other applications. So this is good news.

Source: https://forums.vmix.com/...osts&t=10750&p=2

Addendum: The BluffTitler settings below:

UserPostedImage

Simply import the uncompressed video with alpha into BluffTitler, and export using the SpeedHQ 4:2:2:4 (DCT Alpha) codec. Works well with vMix, Edius, Adobe products, Windows Media Player & VLC Player (3.0.3). Hopefully the other software vendors will utilize the *.AVI wrapper and implement the codec choices correctly, instead of the QuickTime wrapper in their next updates.