logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cauterman  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:05:46 AM(UTC)
Cauterman

Groups: Registered
Man

Yes, I see the compatible equipment list however I am an end user (Canada) with some technical knowledge however my current hardware is all Mac.
I'm open to the PC platform if that is the way to go. Some help in sorting out what manufactures, models, interfaces, inputs, cameras etc would be very comforting.

We are looking to create a series of learning modules in the Natural Health industry . This year we would produce 10 x 1 hour videos with a Q&A session live. I can see a weekly video blog if we have these tools available. Possibly some remote/skype interviews with label overlays.

I would like to have 2 camera inputs, PPT as full screen or split (PIP), videos as background, banners, etc. Streaming, recording, and actually, everything from the demo video is a perfect fit. Now my only challenge is the budget and what fits best with what. And a learning curve which I enthusiastically will take on.

I have photography, sound and videography experience. I am a quick study, however I just heard of UStream yesterday to put this in perspective.

Are there corners I can cut/sacrifice or am I going to regret limiting myself in 6 months.
Can anyone share their system details or budget process and save me from making newbie mistakes?
Are there Canadian distributors with guides to hardware and software requirements?
Are there low cost cameras (not fixed wide angle) that I should look at. Are there advantages to the various interfaces for them? No need for HD here.

Thanks in advance!
Mike, in Burlington, Ontario.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:24:38 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Hi Mike, there is a broad range of options available to you depending on what exactly you hope to accomplish in the long run and how big your budget is... My advice would be to experiment with what you have readily available to you and ascertain if and where you need to make improvements. I would think vMix will run on a mac using bootcamp (or whatever it is called to run windows), add a web cam and you are ready to get started to see if the program will do what you need it to do. Building a new system around vMix can run into several thousand dollars depending on various components (check out Ed Griswold's site http://www.streambreeze.net/ for a turn key solution). Cutting corners here and there may accomplish short term goals but might not be sustainable over the long haul. The nice thing about vMix is you can get started very affordably and gradually grow as your budget permits.

Ice
ceejay7777  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 4, 2013 8:13:12 PM(UTC)
ceejay7777

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
In addition to a PC tower, currently trialling vMix on a MacBook Pro under Boot Camp, so yes, that works.