logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
VTR  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 6, 2018 6:52:25 PM(UTC)
VTR

Groups: Registered

How can disable the 2 buttons "Quick Play" and "Cut" ?, because it does
not exist in an *audio input* (for a wireless microphone)

When we enable or disable it, we sometimes give it a "Cut", instead of an
"Audio" and the black screen appears in out streaming.

Check the image...

Thanks.
VTR attached the following image(s):
image (1).png (23kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
AlanZ  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 5:36:49 PM(UTC)
AlanZ

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Actually, an audio input can be "cut" to or "Quick Play"ed... because it can have a multiview which can display up to 10 inputs.

I just created an audio input and added two cameras and a title to it... and was able to cut and quickplay it as expected.

Additionally, although the default for an audio input is to not enable "Automatically mix audio", it can be turned on so it behaves like any other input with audio (e.g., a camera, or video file) and the audio will be turned on and off as the input is brought into and out of the program window.

VTR  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 5:53:48 PM(UTC)
VTR

The problem is...
I use the "audio" button, to enable or disable one imput audio wireless microphone. Sometimes (for error) I press "Cut" button and the black screen appears in the output streaming. (fatality error)

The question is, ¿For an external audio input, what's the use of those buttons, when they send the black image to the output and not the sound?

Or because those buttons are not disabled when it is an audio input without an image.

Thanks in advance.
AlanZ  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 7:14:58 PM(UTC)
AlanZ

Because and audio input can have images (as part of a multiview) it might be quite difficult to determine when/if it has something to display at any given point.

It might be nice to have a way to disable those buttons for the input, but I certainly see why they are enabled currently.
AlanZ  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 7:16:28 PM(UTC)
AlanZ

Another approach is to assign shortcuts to enable and disable the audio for the input... so you don't need to use the mouse at all, and won't risk doing something you don't want to do.

For example, you can use the Audio shortcut to toggle the audio state of an input, and assign it to a single key.

You can use the AudioOn and AudioOff shortcuts to assign the functions to separate keys.

So if your main issue is that you miss the audio button when using the mouse... eliminating the mouse for the task eliminates the problem.

Still, an option to disable the buttons might be nice, but at least there is currently a way for you to avoid the issue completely.
DWAM  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 4:12:06 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Just use the audio mixer when you need to select/add an audio input to the mix. Click the speaker icon to Mute/Unmute an audio input.

Guillaume
VTR  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 7:43:34 AM(UTC)
VTR

It would be excellent if you could disable those buttons at will, I also think that Vmix is quite professional to detect if an audio input contains any image, to show it or not.

In addition, those two buttons ("Quick Play" and "Cut", in this case the audio input) do not show the audio when you press them, they only show the image in black.

If it worked correctly, it would input and output the audio, not the image (which it does not have).

Although the keyboard shortcuts are a good alternative, but we are several people who take turns using Vmix, and not everyone would remember the keyboard shortcuts, (unless you paste stickers on the table)

Seeing how Vmix works, I know they will give a good solution to this error.

Thank you very much.
DWAM  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 7:55:08 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
Seeing how Vmix works, I know they will give a good solution to this error.

There is no error here. You're just not using audio features the way it's designed for. Audio mixing is supposed to be done in the mixer window. If you don't understand the interest of having audio inputs show in the inputs section (for a lot of useful things) and get confused by them just right click the title of audio inputs to collapse them and only use the mixer.

Guillaume
VTR  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 9:04:08 AM(UTC)
VTR

Thank you very much for your prompt response, I understand perfectly what you are saying.

It may not be an error, it may be an inappropriate use of the audio input, although this "inappropriate use" is immediately available when you add an audio input.

We could put a logo in the audio input and show that, (if we press that for our error).

We can hide it and use other forms, we will have to adapt.

We can put a second screen and show the audio mixer, to not occupy space in the principal screen.

We sincerely appreciate the panel audio mixer, although it is difficult to understand it for those of us who are new, it is difficult to find the correct entry quickly. (we prefer using our Behringer analog or digital sound tables)

I will try to use a marked tablet or stickers on the keyboard or on the table to adapt.

Although it is another topic we have found the volume of the helmets, we find it very interesting and a very good detail by Vmix.

We will continue learning in the use of this excellent software.

We hope to be of help to improve Vmix, if possible.

Thank you very much for your support.
DWAM  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 9:57:11 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

I understand you're new to vMix and that's a good thing!

Live Video Production is not supposed to be "easy", it's a lot of things to master in a lot of different use cases. It takes a lot of time to domesticate such a wonderful tool like vMix where so many things can be done. It takes time to experiment each and every way to accomplish things and find the most appropriate one in each situation. So many workflows, so many options... It also takes time to find the perfect setup, to avoid newbies mistakes, not to load unnecessary elements in the project, to sort inputs in order to get a clear and simple user interface in the end. It's called "experience" and no feature request can bring it to you.

So my best advice to you is to spend more time reading the manual and testing/experimenting things than to come here to add feature requests for things you don't fully understand or master yet. No offense here, don't get me wrong...

As of audio inputs, just collapse them, undock the audio mixer in a separate monitor and you're the king of the world !

Bien à toi
Guillaume
VTR  
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 12:42:15 PM(UTC)
VTR

Thanks for your friendly comment and welcome ... I do not get you wrong, you're very clear.

I just happened here by recommendation of the vmix technical service by email, (which recommend to propose this), thinking that it would be even considered, knowing that there is no obligation of the technical team of vmix to accept it.

I do not intend to change the world, nor anybody waste time, humbly I communicate this inconvenience that appears immediately when adding an audio input without image.

After using Vmix for almost two years, I will not understand or dominate many things of Vmix, I know it is not easy, but this is a problem that still continues from version 16 that we started here.

This year we bought another HD license, and we are using more independent audio inputs. (mic lavalier, wireless hand mic, cable mic, ambient mic, voiceover, etc)

Give my sincere thanks to AlanZ who has worked hard to understand this problem.

Best reagards.
grantcoll  
#12 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2018 4:51:23 PM(UTC)
grantcoll

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I had a similar problem, where onsite in challenging environmental conditions, it is easy to hit the Quick Play instead of Overlay 3, eg. Even when overlaying an image or video in a PIP or just over the output, but you want to keep the camera as the output. Quick Play doesn't do that.

I have found that you can assign the "Mouse Click Action" to an Overlay. Then you can configure the method of Output/Overlay for each of the inputs in advance, and when Live out onsite, just select the required input by clicking the Input Window, and it overlays as you want. The Window is much larger than the Overlay buttons, so you don't miss it by accident, and as you have configured in advance, you don't have to think about which overlay for each input.

VTR  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 5:50:27 AM(UTC)
VTR

Thank you very much, I will try to adapt that to see if I get something
Thanks again.