logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trucktvusa  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 8:39:19 AM(UTC)
trucktvusa

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi friends!

After testing vmix's fully functional demo (one reason to be loyal!)
I decided that I actually needed something in between the HD and the 4k version
-I currently have no use at all for PTZ, Replay but I sure needed vmix call.

I wish they had an option to get more callers than 2 / without having to buy the pro version,
but that's ok..

Unfortunately I ran into some streaming problems which I didn't realize I might have, since while experimenting with the demo I never streamed live, and just tested with the recorded files instead and they were just perfectly working.

Well, I kinda embarrassed myself during my first livestream on July 1
because my microphone was quiet and viewers couldn't hear me, but the clips with audio worked.

Maybe there is someone here willing to help me understanding what I might have sone wrong, so I can finally start broadcasting soon.
I really read the entire documentation several times and watched their video how to's
so I don't think that I've done anything wrong in vmix but I believe something must be wrong
within windows or how I connected my microphone to the laptop maybe?

I try to explain the hard- and software I'm using:

I will broadcast to YouTube and I noticed it says they only work with 2 Audiochannels
While I actually had setup MAB in vmix (to have a talkback channel to my guests)

-Audio: I am using the Rode wireless mic (filmmakers kit)
It's plugged in to the mic input on my computer.

-The computer itself it a relatively new Alienware i7

-Cameras: I experimented with several GoPro5 Hero (wanted to use several video angles in virtual sets, but ended up buying two Logitech USB Webcams, who worked surprisingly well!
(I did deactivate their audio already, just using the video signal)

-Midi controller: I am using the Akai MPC MK2 and I can highly recommend it to anyone.
Unless you're a professional TV studio with top notch equipment I believe this is just perfectly working for me and I already midified all the activators and shortcuts as I liked them to be.
The only thing is that i wish I could simply connect the microphone here already but unfortunately that's not possible.

Output screen: For vmix and monitoring I use a 65"Sony Bravia plus a smaller 24"Vizio screen.
and here might be a problem already because I don't like to use a headset during production,
but listen to whatever is on channel M here.
I routed my Microphone to A. so I don't hear myself.
To reduce my microphone picking up noise from the TV screen, I either use a fader for my microphone or would vmix have mix the audio, so my mic would be muted during playback of audio clips whatso ever.
Still not 100% sure about how to handle callers then, since I need to be able to hear them.
Maybe I can learn from your experiences ?

Now describing the major problem I'm having:
I did a few tests yesterday and I can hearmyself speaking in the broadcast ONLY when i'm activating the Master channel for my mic, which immediatly results in a terrible echo.
Channel A seems not to be working at all. I also did setup in the stream options that it should send M+A to the stream. B is supposed to be my talkback channel with the guests.

Why Why Why is channel A not working, where could I possibly have missed to set up something?

Any help is of course appreciated!

zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 9:09:48 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
trucktvusa wrote:
... I don't like to use a headset during production,
but listen to whatever is on channel M here.

I'd suggest you maybe get used to wearing an earpiece (wired or wireless) - that's how they tend to do it on broadcast TV. There can be enough other problems with audio without adding to them by not adopting a widely accepted solution, where one exists.

trucktvusa wrote:
I did a few tests yesterday and I can hear myself speaking in the broadcast ONLY when i'm activating the Master channel for my mic, which immediately results in a terrible echo.

Your mic should normally go to the Master output. However, you should not be listening to the Master on speakers if you're in the same environment. You should select different output devices for Master and Headphones (possibly none for Master, or an unconnected output device) and feed the speakers from the Headphone output. Then you can adjust the contribution to the headphone mix that's sent from each audio input channel and mute your mic input ONLY for the Headphone output, but leave it coming through on the Master. I'm assuming that's how you're getting an echo, but maybe you have some other feedback loop that involves the mic sound being fed back in somewhere else?
thanks 4 users thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
trucktvusa on 7/5/2018(UTC), Ario on 7/5/2018(UTC), sinc747 on 7/12/2018(UTC), Bamboo on 7/30/2018(UTC)
Vuurmannetje  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 9:24:18 AM(UTC)
Vuurmannetje

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I do a lot of work with callers and for me the busses work perfectly.

Things to consider for talkback
- Make sure the A and/or B bus is set to enabled.
- Disable auto-mixing on your talkback mic (the arrows button)
- Enable the channel (the loudspeaker button)
- Enable bus A on your talkback mic
- On the video call, rightclick and make sure its audio source is Bus A. Now your caller will hear bus A only (mix-minus). Make sure anything he should be able to hear is routed to bus A as well.

If your mic also needs to go to the master, change your speaker output to be headphones, and on the audio settings for your mic, click the "disable in headphones" button.
If you want to reduce echo, go into the mic audio settings and enable the noise gate, then set the threshold to be just above the level where it catches the speakers.

In my scenes I use a lot of triggers to enable/disable audio busses of individual channels depending on who needs to talk. This is an alternative to auto-mixing.

thanks 4 users thanked Vuurmannetje for this useful post.
trucktvusa on 7/5/2018(UTC), rudyengels on 7/5/2018(UTC), Ario on 7/5/2018(UTC), Bamboo on 7/30/2018(UTC)
trucktvusa  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 1:49:56 AM(UTC)
trucktvusa

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I appreciate both of your responses!

I actually experimented using a headset to monitor audio during production, without my mic picking up any noise which caused the echo.
It's maybe not exactly what I was hoping , but it sure works.
Maybe I expected a little too much and as you stated it's common practice in the industry.

As for the second comment from NL "bedankt!"
I was born not far from Venlo, (Keulen as you guys call it).
So I used to travel to the Netherlands a lot before I moved to the U.S.
It does not surprise me, that you were trying to help, since I only met very friendly and helpful dutch people so far.

I will try to read a few of your past postings, maybe I get a better idea of how to handle audio and talkback with callers. from your experience.

Thanks to both of you guys!
thanks 1 user thanked trucktvusa for this useful post.
Bamboo on 7/30/2018(UTC)