logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GloryofGod  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 3, 2018 2:18:36 AM(UTC)
GloryofGod

Groups: Registered

I am a video/systems/communications engineer/producer in a 20 year search of a low cost, inconspicuous easy to operate video for the church. I think I have found it... but.

I have done extensive testing with vmix and IP (security cameras). This seems to be the lowest cost and easiest solution. I have installed it in two churches and used it for a multi camera musical.

But I have run into two issues.

First I have done a lot of testing with more than a half dozen high end and low end computers. Most low end computers will handle SD with this system and can work with a $99 camera. This is very valuable for the church in the US since many use community access which is 90% SD (I have done this for 40 years and co-founded two organizations).

The first church is using a HP i3 8GB with HD620 graphics (<$400 new). They have been successfully streaming for months. Simultaneous recording tests OK but may be pushing too far as it is at 70%.

The second church used the same system but with the next gen proc and UHD620 (still <$400). On paper this system is 10% better in CPU and GPU. Streaming goes OK at 2.5Mb/s. But this church has established distribution through local community access so recording at 8Mb/s MPEG2 is their product. The streams are 3 720P H.264. Decoding and proc are total utilization of 25% CPU and 25% GPU. Recording stays at under 70% with no indication of overload. The church is 3 hours away, but what I have been able to asses is no statistical issues are indicated. The recording shows massive frame drop (yet the recording statistic does not show this). I suspect there is more decoding frame dropping than I have been able to asses remotely. Looks like I am going to have to make a trip.

Second issue,

Vmix would be extremely valuable if I could effectively decode a 4K H.264 stream. Some faster computers will perform OK under 8Mb/s. This is low for 4K but will be adequate for my applications. The issues is, the computers mentioned above will drop half the frames and worse resync often. Utilization is about 30% for both CPU and GPU. Seems like I have seen this reported a few years ago. Seems like some buffer is not handling or there is a timing issue. I think VLC (FFMPEG) can handle it and I successfully tried on competing software (though CPU utilization is much higher). What gives? Is there something inherent about vmix that makes this issue impossible to fix? I know the current quick sync silicon can do both encode and decode at 60fps (I only need one camera doing 30)

For the Glory of God,

Charlie
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 3, 2018 11:49:51 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
It's difficult to reconcile your desire to use 4K and such low-end hardware.

You would be vastly better off using a hardware platform with a real nVidia GPU. Even an older GPU like a GTX750Ti. That would allow you leverage hardware encoding, freeing up CPU resources.
GloryofGod  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 3, 2018 8:43:10 PM(UTC)
GloryofGod

Yes, I think like a technologist and producer at the same time. There is a production technique and features that I am counting on either in camera or software. There is a synergy solution of many levels. Cost, capability ease of use for the church application and some others.

Depending on the model Nvideas has dedicated CODEC silicon. Most every intel CPU has GPU dedicated silicon that will do 4K60P encode/decode.

The out but is HD but Vmix HD will accept most anything including 4K.

If Vmix will fix the 4K decode issue, this is huge win for my applications and create large sales volumes for Vmix and cameras companies.

This is cost effective HD for the vast majority of the churches, not just the large ones.

Thanks for the interest anyone interested please respond.

Charlie