logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Shadowhelm  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2018 12:54:10 PM(UTC)
Shadowhelm

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think I have seen this on other vMix productions but wasn't exactly sure how to do it.

I want to create a logo bug for the bottom right corner of my show. I can add that to the overlay easy enough but is there a way to give the image a slight drop shadow from within vMix or is this typically done on the image file (.png) with a transparent background? I was thinking that if vMix had the option it would be a lot quicker to add into the overlay versus having to create the shadow in an image editor.

Thanks!
doggy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2018 1:09:16 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Isn't a logo bug a "fixed" item in your image arsenal hense prepared according your wishes in advance ?

being in titles one can add shadows to text but at some point it hogs up the animations etc in my opinion graphical tidbits are better focused upon in graphic editors rather then take "power" away from vMix's processing video ?

How long does it realy take to add some shadow to an image in a graphics editor ?

just my opinion
thanks 1 user thanked doggy for this useful post.
mjgraves on 6/6/2018(UTC)
Shadowhelm  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2018 3:16:44 PM(UTC)
Shadowhelm

Actually, there are plenty of reasons to need or want a feature for this purpose.

Customers/Sponsors bring you a logo slide at the last minute that you have to put into the production.

The person running the show does not know how to use a graphics editor or have access to one on-site when the logos are made available. This could certainly happen if someone is trained in vMix but not Photoshop, GIMP, or some other software.

I get into situations all the time when the media for the show isn't available early. It sucks but it happens.

I guess the better answer would have just been to say "No, vMix doesn't have this as a feature".

Barney Box Lane  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 6:12:13 AM(UTC)
Barney Box Lane

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I think you need to put a freeze on things, we have a similar problem where everyone starts kicking into gear and wanting to change things when we're live. It creates caos and ends up with things being bodged making the production company look like they don't know what they're doing.
Shadowhelm  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 10:01:02 AM(UTC)
Shadowhelm

It is always a balancing act between trying to make the customer happy and being sure the show runs smoothly. Most customers understand and the ones that don't typically get fired as a future customer. I do what I can but sometimes you just have to say, "I am sorry but I can't make that happen this late in the game".
thanks 2 users thanked Shadowhelm for this useful post.
Cpilcher on 6/6/2018(UTC), Barney Box Lane on 6/6/2018(UTC)
Cpilcher  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 11:43:49 AM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Honesty is always the best policy. Anyone bringing last minute elements to the production is a recipe for disaster. I pride myself in making “it” happen on the fly, but it’s good to have some requirements up front to save you from random unexpected tasks.
mjgraves  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 4:41:48 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Last minute changes in graphics design are a recipe for disaster.

If it must be done, it must be done in Photoshop, by someone who knows what they're doing...and delivered to vMix as a new file.

You can always have Photoshop (or equiv) on a utility PC nearby.
Joeboe  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 5:12:49 PM(UTC)
Joeboe

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 31 post(s)
mjgraves wrote:
Last minute changes in graphics design are a recipe for disaster.

If it must be done, it must be done in Photoshop, by someone who knows what they're doing...and delivered to vMix as a new file.

You can always have Photoshop (or equiv) on a utility PC nearby.

For me, if it is not ready by production time, it does NOT go....I had too many last minute powerpoint, graphics and clips handed to me, only to find out at the last minute, they were either not the correct format, wrong layout, all sorts of mistakes creating issues, that I got blamed for wrongfully,....so, if not ready in a proper time, I do NOT accept it.....and my clients know when I say NO, it is NO....so they usually get things to me on time....set a standard, and maintain it.....no one watching will say that it is the clients' fault, they always blame the producer and the company....
rowby  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 8:23:32 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi All,

If it means anything. years ago I used to write on a series produced by the two former writers of"I Love Lucy". Madelyn Pugh Davis and Bob Carroll Jr. They told me that after the first dress rehearsal of each "I Love Lucy" they locked down the script. They would not make any last minute changes to the script -- other than the very few needed for technical reasons or by cast ad libs.

Of course they didn't shoot Lucy on vMix, but we could all learn from Lucy and Desi "No Last Minute Changes"

Rowby
thanks 2 users thanked rowby for this useful post.
ask on 6/7/2018(UTC), DYosua on 6/7/2018(UTC)