logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Shadowhelm  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2018 2:30:46 PM(UTC)
Shadowhelm

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Something I noticed after the update to .43. The Windows Update service is set to disabled when vMix runs, but it does not go back to its default state when vMix is shut down. I think the new feature is supposed to activate it again when the application closes but I am seeing some variation in that function.

I have 4 machines with vMix installed. Two licenses on one laptop and desktop each. As of now I have updated all four to 21.0.0.43.

3 of them already had 21.0.0.42. As far as I can remember, Windows Update was working as expected on those units. I know I ran Windows update on 2 of them for sure yesterday before seeing the .43 update. Once I did the .43 update and tried Windows Update, I found it would not run and that the service was disabled.

The last notebook was on 20.0.0.55. Since I already knew something was up, I stepped through this one very slowly to see what happened. First, I completely updated the computer via Windows Update. It already had 1803 but it looks like there was a couple of updates released over the last week.

Once that was done I rebooted and checked Windows update again. It ran and gave the "Up To Date" notice. I then ran the update on vMix from 20.0.0.55 to 21.0.0.43. The update installed and I checked the Windows Update service. The service was still set to "Manual (Trigger Start)" which appears to be the normal state. I then rebooted the PC and checked the service state again after the reboot. All was normal.

Then, I executed vMix. vMix disabled the service as expected while it was open BUT when I closed it the service went back to the default state of Manual (Trigger Start). Interesting.

So all I know know is that the PCs I updated from 21.0.0.42 to 21.0.0.43 ended up having the Windows Update disabled after the vMix update and it stayed disabled even when vMix was not open. The PC that went from 20.0.0.55 to 21.0.0.43 only has the service disabled when vMix is running which is the default and expected state of vMix since adding the "Disable Windows Update" feature in the 21 release.

My working theory now is that something in the upgrade from .42 to .43 disables the service permanently which it should not do. The fix is to just go in and set the service to "Manual" and then things seem to be back to normal.

Seems like a bug and probably easily fixed.
DCSmith  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2018 3:35:44 PM(UTC)
DCSmith

Man

.44 Update does the same thing.

If Windows Update is in "Manual (Trigger)" mode, vMix Disables it upon startup of vMix. That's fine. However, upon exit, vMix does not re-enable Windows Update and set it to manual.
RoboST  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2018 4:25:58 PM(UTC)
RoboST

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I had that issue, just updated to .44.. same thing.

I went into Services and set the Windows Update to Automatic Startup and Started it's Service.

Ran vMix, did Check for Updates and got error of course (vMix running).

Closed down vMix and did Check for Updates (Windows Updates) again and the check went through as normal.

The service was back in Manual mode.

Tried this two more times running vMix and closing down vMix and Windows Update went as expected.

thanks 1 user thanked RoboST for this useful post.
mjgraves on 6/2/2018(UTC)
DCSmith  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2018 6:00:09 PM(UTC)
DCSmith

Man

Interesting. You set Windows Update to "Automatic" before starting vMix and upon vMix Exit Windows Update went back to "Automatic"?
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2018 6:40:56 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I have tried it two ways:

1 - With the update service set to Manual
2 - With the update service set to Automatic

In both cases vMix set the service to Manual when it exited. Here's a screencast made via NDI to another vMix system.

It's worth noting that you must refresh the view of the Windows Service app to see the actual state of the service. It doesn't update dynamically.

desmar  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2018 7:40:59 PM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Same issue here.

When vMix is running it is set it to Startup Type Disabled.

When vMix not running it is set it to Startup Type Manual (Trigger Start).
RoboST  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2018 7:49:13 PM(UTC)
RoboST

DCSmith wrote:
Interesting. You set Windows Update to "Automatic" before starting vMix and upon vMix Exit Windows Update went back to "Automatic"?

No, it went to manual but with I clicked the Check or Updates button (vMix not running of course) the check went thru as it should. It didn't do that at first since .43 / .44. I will restart one of those laptops and see if the behavior is normal.

And yes, as posted above, you have to refresh the Services window ACTION/REFRESH
RoboST  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2018 7:58:37 PM(UTC)
RoboST

RoboST wrote:
[I will restart one of those laptops and see if the behavior is normal.

I went ahead and did the same sequence I posted above on another Laptop with vMix which I hadn't done yet - in Services, switch Windows Update Service to Automatic and then Start that Service.

Manually click Check for updates (for Windows), all good.
run vMix
Manually click Check for updates (for Windows), ERROR
close vMix

Reboot

run vMix
Manually click Check for updates (for Windows), ERROR
close vMix

I got an Windows defender definition update.

It won't go back to Automatic, but I like manually checking.

admin  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2018 8:55:54 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Hi all,

The correct state for Windows Update is Manual (Trigger Start). This is how windows initially configures it
as it will start the service on demand to check for updates.
(NB: It does not affect how Windows update checks for updates, that is controlled entirely in the Windows Update section of the Control Panel, so Manual is correct
for all Windows Update configurations)

So vMix returning it to this state is as expected.

However if there are those that are seeing it stay at Disabled, only thing I can think of is
that Windows was forcefully shutdown at some point, preventing vMix from having a chance to return Windows Update to normal.

If so, manually setting it to Manual again will bring things back to default.

Finally, if you prefer not for vMix to adjust Windows Update at all, disable it under Settings -> Performance in vMix.

Regards,

Martin
thanks 3 users thanked admin for this useful post.
mjgraves on 6/2/2018(UTC), SportsNetUSA.net on 6/3/2018(UTC), SHMD on 6/5/2018(UTC)
DCSmith  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2018 1:26:11 PM(UTC)
DCSmith

Man

My bad. I tested today and all works as it should. While looking at the "Services" panel, I was hitting "F5" thinking it was refreshing - it wasn't. Go to "Actions", "Refresh" - all was good. I could have sworn yesterday that "F5" DID refresh as I saw a change.
Shadowhelm  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2018 12:32:56 PM(UTC)
Shadowhelm

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I can say that I tested this pretty thoroughly and what was clear on my test units is that vMix, when upgraded from .42 to .43, left the service "disabled" after vMix was closed down. I "refreshed" the service list several times and it was still disabled. After I went back and set it to Manual (Trigger Start) myself then vMix disabled it and re-enabled it correctly. It took that one manual reset to get everything working as expected.

Ultimately not a big deal but certainly something that users need to watch out for if they find Windows Update isn't working when vMix is not running.
RoboST  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2018 11:43:03 AM(UTC)
RoboST

.45 does the same thing, disables the Windows Update service for startup.

Had to go in and change to Manual and Apply.