logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tsulls  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2018 4:38:09 PM(UTC)
tsulls

Groups: Registered

Apologies if this has already been addressed I've searched all over....

I am using Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb GPU.
I am encoding 1080p 60 to Facebook (special permission to encode at 12mb).

I am using hardware encoder instead of CPU...simple taking a single feed and encoding to Facebook at 12mb. When I encode with my CPU I get flashing orange/red on streaming etc so I am sticking to GPU.
My point is when using GPU to stream my render time never jumps above 3ms MAYBE 4ms which leads me to believe I have much more headroom to improve the quality even more! Is that render time info just for inputs and not outputs like streaming? How much headroom do I really have?
Anytime I pause my encode and change encoding settings (level, preset, threads, etc) nothing changes when using GPU. So is the Hardware encoder just a single setting? Anyway to change the quality settings on hardware encoding, or its kind of a "pass through" no settings kind of deal? When I encode using CPU changing these settings definitely affects things, but not really on GPU. I am using FFMPEG2 setting

I am trying to fix pixelation on things like smoke, fast moving frames, etc and GPU doesn't seem to have any extra quality settings.

Thanks All!

desmar  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 1:10:26 AM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Facebook doesn't support anything above 720p at the moment.
As quote Per Facebook

Live Video Specifications

Video Format
Video maximum resolution: 720p (1280 x 720) at 30 frames per second, or 1 keyframe every 2 seconds
Keyframe: at least once every two seconds throughout the stream
Recommended max bit rate:4000 Kbps
Titles: must be less than 255 characters
Live API: H264 encoded video and AAC encoded audio only

Video Length

240 minute maximum length, with the exception of continuous live
240 minute maximum length for preview streams (either through Live dialog or publisher tools); after 240 minutes, a new stream key must be generated

Advanced Settings

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square
Frame Types: Progressive Scan
Audio Sample Rate: 44.1 KHz
Audio Bitrate: 128 Kbps stereo
Bitrate Encoding: CBR

https://www.facebook.com/help/publisher/162540111070395

tsulls wrote:
Apologies if this has already been addressed I've searched all over....

I am using Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb GPU.
I am encoding 1080p 60 to Facebook (special permission to encode at 12mb).

I am using hardware encoder instead of CPU...simple taking a single feed and encoding to Facebook at 12mb. When I encode with my CPU I get flashing orange/red on streaming etc so I am sticking to GPU.
My point is when using GPU to stream my render time never jumps above 3ms MAYBE 4ms which leads me to believe I have much more headroom to improve the quality even more! Is that render time info just for inputs and not outputs like streaming? How much headroom do I really have?
Anytime I pause my encode and change encoding settings (level, preset, threads, etc) nothing changes when using GPU. So is the Hardware encoder just a single setting? Anyway to change the quality settings on hardware encoding, or its kind of a "pass through" no settings kind of deal? When I encode using CPU changing these settings definitely affects things, but not really on GPU. I am using FFMPEG2 setting

I am trying to fix pixelation on things like smoke, fast moving frames, etc and GPU doesn't seem to have any extra quality settings.

Thanks All!

tsulls  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 1:31:04 AM(UTC)
tsulls

Desmar I appreciate the reply but as stated in my original message I have special access from Facebook internally to encode 1080p 60 at 12mb. Regardless of platform - the vMix settings in streaming do not seem to affect anything when hardware encoding is checked off.
admin  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 1:49:08 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi,

The only setting that impacts hardware encoding at this time is the Profile.
Selecting Main or High should improve quality a little from Baseline.

vMix uses the NVIDIA "Low Latency HQ" option internally, so this should be the highest possible quality
from the encoder for low latency purposes like streaming.

As for render time impact. NVIDIA cards have a separate dedicated hardware encoding logic separate from the rest of the GPU,
so it's not really an indicator that the encoder could be pushed further to improve quality.
(That is without doing an offline multi-pass encode which is not suitable for streaming).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

thanks 4 users thanked admin for this useful post.
DWAM on 6/1/2018(UTC), corporatejames on 6/1/2018(UTC), tsulls on 6/1/2018(UTC), kjones9999 on 6/4/2018(UTC)
Joeboe  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 6:37:42 AM(UTC)
Joeboe

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I wish that the vMix team would look at implementing features to use ATI cards, as I find that their drivers are very stable, and work very well, even with vMix...All my systems, and systems that I have built for persons use ATI cards, as they are more popular here, and they work very well....I find also that their cards are very sturdy as well, especially the Sapphire brand cards.....