logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vidkid  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 9:20:31 PM(UTC)
vidkid

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello. I am wanting to put together a little family video setup together and I could use some serious help.

Software: Obviously I am considering vMix as it seems very simple and powerful but I am not sure if it will do what I want. What I would like to do is setup a single camera with a chroma screen and record family members doing karaoke and just goofing off stuff. I want to be able to randomly overlay images on the chroma screen in real time and record it in real time to give them a copy of their "performance" before they go on their long journeys home. In other words,there will be NO post production/editing involved. Is this possible with a single camera setup and vMix?

Hardware: If this is not possible with a single camera,then what capture device should I get that will allow me to capture 2 or more video sources on either a single pcie card or a usb device? I have been recommended a BMD Decklink Mini Recorder,but I am really unsure if it can capture two inputs. Also,I am not sure if I also need the Mini Monitor card with it.

My available computers are:

A tower with Win7 Pro x64 using an nVidia GeForce 9800 with dual monitors,an E 8500 Intel duo core,and 8 gigs of ram and one Pcie slot.I have several drives installed(all 7200 rpm)as I do a lot of audio work.

or.....

A Dell Vostro with Win7 Pro x64 using an ATI Radeon HD 3400 vid adaptor with an available HDMI output,a T5800 Intel Duo Core,and 6 gigs of ram with a 750 gig 7200 rpm Seagate and an express card slot.

Since I don't have any video gear at the moment I will also welcome any camera recommendations. I would like to go as high as 1920x1280. My budget for both camera and capture device is around $600 usd.

Thanks to all of you who take the time to help out a novice.

vidkid
Egriswold  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:46:20 AM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
vidkid,
Have you downloaded the demo yet and tried it out on your systems ?
Best if you have a web cam and even if you don't these are really cheap.
Set vMix up with a web cam running at 640x480 30 fps and point it at a green screen,
You will be amazed at how well this works. Even the free version will do all you need.

Good luck
Ed
vidkid  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:30:47 AM(UTC)
vidkid

Egriswold wrote:
vidkid,
Have you downloaded the demo yet and tried it out on your systems ?
Best if you have a web cam and even if you don't these are really cheap.
Set vMix up with a web cam running at 640x480 30 fps and point it at a green screen,
You will be amazed at how well this works. Even the free version will do all you need.

Good luck
Ed

Thanks Egrisworld.I have not actually tried the demo yet because I don't have a camera and capture device. However,now that you mention the webcam option, I might give it a shot. So given the fact that you say it will do what I am hoping to do,can you make a recommendation for a better quality camera and capture device? What do you use and is it something in my proposed budget?

Thank you very much for taking the time to help.

vidkid
Damn2Good4U  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:34:01 AM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Hello,

@Egriswold said it all.. download the trial and fire on with the Amazing power of vMix...
vidkid  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:29:10 PM(UTC)
vidkid

Hmmm. Well I have downloaded and installed the demo and I am trying to use my laptops integrated webcam,but it is not working. I have my settings set to 640x480 and NTSC 60i or 30p. Actually, I have tried every variation and I just get a blank(black) view on both Preview and Output windows.

Any suggestions?

vidkid
vidkid  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:06:01 PM(UTC)
vidkid

Sorry everybody. I figured it out......drivers and codecs. It is working now. Thanks again.

vidkid