logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kelvin  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2013 3:43:56 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I'm currently using an AMD Radeon 6790 video card in my vMix computer. It was left over from another computer build. I've noticed several threads where Nvidia 650/660 video cards are recommended. Will I notice a significant improvement in vMix if I were to upgrade to an Nvidia card?

Thanks
Charssay  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:45:59 AM(UTC)
Charssay

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I Will Says no. More your card is power, more you will get improvment in HD capturing and recording.
I use only AMD card and did not have issue till now.
Rgds
C.
MrFreeze  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:12:09 AM(UTC)
MrFreeze

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
i'm currently using an Intel 4400 GPU (inbuilt with CPU) and i'm running 4 HD (2*Blackmagic DeckLink Duo) inputs with 12ms delay. Works fine.

If it has the grunt for what you need then whats the worry?
h2video.nl  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 6:00:24 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
i am currently using and building my systems around AMD A10 chips 5700 and 6700 evem 6800k which can be overclocked. it's build-in gpu and price quality means good value for money and a good performance.

a further benefit is that using an A10 like 6700 or even 6800 you can boost the performance by using fast memory. this can increase video performance by 30-40% according to some benchmark tests. the cpu gpu depends on this memory swapping and the faster the better.

note however this is related to video performance. when other tasks are needed and or cpu intensive processes are combined things might be different between intel i7 and a A10.

but for video processing sec i now prefer the a10 which alow me to build lowcost but high vmix performing systems.

amd also offers dual gpu capabilities to combine the gpu on the processor with an extra amd card. but i don't see the benefit yet: performance is outstanding.

stefan
Luc Henrion  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2013 3:45:15 AM(UTC)
Luc Henrion

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
It might be an exception, but I had big troubles with a NVidia card inside a Sony Vaio laptop, to the point I simply couldn't use it because it was enable to play or record 4 tracks of audio without drop-out's ! The Nvidia card was randomly accessing the laptop's memory to increase the video performances, but it was completely destroying all other streams, namely audio, in the process. There was simply no way to avoid it and I finally bought an Asus laptop with built-in GPU (H4000) that performs admirably: 100 tracks of audio recording in 24 bit, @ 48 KHz during 2 hours without a single drop! Go figure...
r@wisla  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 7:40:57 AM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Let me refresh this thread to ask: is there any reason that Nvidia cards are recommended, not Radeon? Anything in firmware, drivers, compability etc...?

I mean, maybe it's better to buy GeForce, but what if I have a good Radeon? Should I change it to something else?

I'm about to upgrade my workflow from SD to HD at reasonable cost. My PC is: i7-950, 12 GB RAM, Asus Rampage II motherboard... To switch up to 6 HD sources, record up to 4 ISO's and stream in HD I'll probably need better CPU (+ motherboard, ram and maybe more SSD-s).

Should I also worry about graphic card? It's Gigabyte GV-R587UD-1GD based on Radeon HD 5870. Looks like its faster then:
- GeForce GTX 550 Ti -> www.hwcompare.com/9735/g...50-ti-vs-radeon-hd-5870/
- GeForce GTX 650 -> www.hwcompare.com/13537/...x-650-vs-radeon-hd-5870/
- GeForce GTX 650 Ti -> www.hwcompare.com/13703/...50-ti-vs-radeon-hd-5870/
- GeForce GTX 660 -> www.hwcompare.com/13374/...x-660-vs-radeon-hd-5870/

and slower then GeForce GTX 670 -> http://www.hwcompare.com...x-670-vs-radeon-hd-5870/

But these are theoretical benchmarks only, not related to vMix.

Your thoughts?
Charssay  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:35:13 AM(UTC)
Charssay

In My case

Building a new Set, I focus always in that ways and only in that way

- The requirement
- The Cpu
- The Capture card
- The Grafic card
- The Storage

The requirement would tell you easily wich kind of hardware you will choose.

Going in the looking that says which one is or can be the best couldn't very help.
A real gamer that use all the power of a Grafic card will easily tell you that if you stand on the benchmark you will be deceive in many case.

For Vmix, the choice is simple, if you can afford a big power one, do it, because you don't know how some days you will stress your unit.

As your Set is radically different than the first one and will do more than before, take the best card you can afford according to your budget after you did choose the other component.

Nvidia vs ATI : All real grafic user will tell you one thing, Nvidia did have the best experience in video processing and can propose much variety of card to do such or such works. As in the past Matrox was in the world of capture card, Nvidia is a leader and will surely remain an icone in the world of Video processing unit. It's then normal that the Nvidia card is put here as a recommended one. But An equivalent on an ATI side, will do for you the same thing without issue.

The Choice then must really remain yours.
r@wisla  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:59:47 AM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Charssay wrote:
For Vmix, the choice is simple, if you can afford a big power one, do it, because you don't know how some days you will stress your unit.

OK, but not in my case. The thing is I have a Radeon card and it seems to be quite powerfull. I prefer to spend extra $350 for better camera or something else then a graphic card, when I have a good one. The thing is, is my card good enough? :)

And the second thing is, I don't have much time to decide, because of way to raise the funds. I can't, for example buy new CPU, Motherboard, RAM and capture cards, check it and then decide whether my current graphic card is enough or not.

That is why I asked, looking maybe for someone that uses multiple HD cams with ISO recording and is satisfied with Radeon.
Luc Henrion  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:10:23 AM(UTC)
Luc Henrion

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Just my point of view: AMD is certainly the best regarding video games, 3D rendering and so on, but video capture, mix & playback is a different beast or am I wrong? Matrox cards were indeed very good for video but not for games. I don't know about Radeon, but most tests you'll find on the web are based on games, if you find more tests about performances in video editing, that would be interesting
Charssay  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:13:41 AM(UTC)
Charssay

This is the last config I build for a church who wanted to go in Full HD

- Core I7
- 64 Gb of RAM
- 2 To in SDD (RAID)

They did have already their HD Cam (Sony)

We ordained 2 Magewell XI200DE-SDI

And I put a Radeon HD 7970

I did a try and I encounter no issue, streaming HD, record in HD and multicorder. (I try 2 Camera and my 2 Avermedia C727) to test if the unit would respond well and all was Ok

I wanted not to take the HD5 and HD6 serie because even some are always good, they are out of business for me.

If you want and ATI close to the GTX 670 you must take a Radeon HD 7850 or 7950

To Note, I'm a AMD FAN for All hardware since the begining of it's existence and I build normaly all for my client around this brand.

If this can help you

C.
thanks 1 user thanked Charssay for this useful post.
r@wisla on 4/15/2014(UTC)