logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
peterphelan  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 10, 2013 6:37:26 PM(UTC)
peterphelan

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Martin,

In Rottimmy's thread you said:
>>Hi Peter,

You can do the external mixing approach to audio with vMix as well, it has the flexibility to work both ways.
If you could describe a little how you would like the audio setup, or how you usually configure it in vidblaster I can show you how
to do the same thing in vMix.

Usually you just setup everything in vMix to go to the sound card output, and then select the sound card input in FMLE or for the recording.<<

So, since you have not responded to my post there, rather that hijack his post further, I have started this new one, since I still cannot see how it's possible to use an external mixer to control audio for example that is playing within a video Input. A very simple setup will illustrate this:

1) I have a video containing audio on my computer that I wish to play during a show.
2) I select the main settings - which I understand control which sound card will be used to play such material; I can see no other option for selecting which audio device would be used to play a specific video.
3) I select a sound card - say card 01 - choosing speakers line out.
4) I bring that line out signal into a channel on my USB mixer, where I can control the level of that audio coming from vMix.
5) I then add an audio Input for my USB mixer - card 02 line in, to take that audio back into vMix.

If you now play that video, its audio is contained or embedded within the vMix "mix" and inbuilt software mixer and you cannot remove it there and continue to send the audio out the hardware mixer and back in again via the audio Input. If you disable the audio on the video Input, although the audio meter alongside the video continues to show audio signals, the actual sound is no longer sent to the mixer.

So I would be interested to hear if there is in fact, a way to control externally, audio that is playing on the computer hosting vMix and an explanation of how that might be achieved.

Peter

admin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:50:30 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
So, if you need video audio to run back into vMix, instead of adding the input into vMix you would select the audio source directly in recording setup and in fmle.

Note that the audio input will need to support being used in more than one program at a time. many cheaper devices don't.
This isn't a limitation of vMix per se, and would be a problem for other software as well.

cutter07  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 2:28:11 PM(UTC)
cutter07

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
(I moved this post from the other discussion)

admin wrote:
There is an "Audio Input" option in Add Input for dedicated inputs.
Or you can select the audio input directly when setting up the recording, you could also do this in flash media live encoder alongside vMix Video.

Maybe I get it done by selecting the input directly. But I'm not sure if it is possible to select the same audio input for recording and streaming? Also I fear to get out of sync if I select the audio input directly for streaming.

Here a simple chart to explain my intent better:
UserPostedImage
cutter07  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 2:47:36 PM(UTC)
cutter07

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
admin wrote:

Note that the audio input will need to support being used in more than one program at a time. many cheaper devices don't.
This isn't a limitation of vMix per se, and would be a problem for other software as well.

I tried to use the Decklink audio input for recording and streaming and I got an message that it is not allowed to use it twice. This explains that the Decklink has this limitation.

If I use the audio input direct for recording and streaming it will bypass the sync feature in vMix, or not?
peterphelan  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 6:50:45 PM(UTC)
peterphelan

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
admin wrote:
So, if you need video audio to run back into vMix, instead of adding the input into vMix you would select the audio source directly in recording setup and in fmle.

Thanks. Just run a very quick test and I can now adjust the audio level via the external mixer on a video playing on the computer and see those adjustments reflected in the vMix Recording fader of its software mixer. The video's Input audio meters show movements as normal.

Anyway, the recorded test avi files played fine, so I'll experiment further now. Of course you have to run the Recorder all the time to obtain this effect. And I just noticed one of those tests resulted in a 3 gig video file on my hard drive. So will have to remember to stop the Recorder at the end of each one!

Peter
BrianM  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 7:53:45 PM(UTC)
BrianM

Man

Hi, we had downloaded version 11 of vmix and now we are having an issue with recording. We have the audio coming into the computer on the line-in, Windows 7 Pro. When recording we lose the audio, only on the recording. The live stream audio works fine and we do have levels on the main mix. We just update to the latest version .63 and still have the same issues. We have tried different formats for recording. We have the line in as an audio input.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian