logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MWilson  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 27, 2018 10:46:17 PM(UTC)
MWilson

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Howdy all.

I was recently checking out the vMix reference systems page (sapphire) , and noticed something I hadn't spotted before "G-Sync Display" is reccomended.

Now obviously I've researched what it does on paper, but I (and a few of us over in the streaming community on Facebook) are curious as to what tangible benefits it provides? I've heard it helps make previews and such smoother, but will it have any real effect on actual encoding and livestreaming? Will it help with Fullscreen Output? What areas does G-Synch really help in?

I've asked around, but no one seems to be able to pinpoint specifically what it improves, and how much it improves it. In fact, there seems to be so little knowledge of it, I figured I'd ask Martin to chime in, if he would be so gracious. [ I know you're super busy, sorry :) ]

I'd really like to know though. There's a couple laptops I've found that I really like, but no G-Synch, are the benefits provided by the technology work-flow dependent, or across the board? Our desktop system doesn't have G-Synch (I think) and I don't notice any real issues.

Any of your special genius trickery going on under the hood that makes G-Synch more useful than one would initially think? Wouldn't be the first time vMix has utilized some random underlying tech in an innovative and substantial way.

Any information or clarification would be appreciated, thanks!
admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2018 4:45:16 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
NB: G-Sync is only of benefit to vMix Laptop users. If you have a PC, then it is not needed. (Though all recent PC GeForce cards support it regardless)

Hi,

One of the biggest performance issues we encounter with laptops is with NVIDIA Optimus.
In a nutshell, NVIDIA Optimus routes all graphics through the integrated Intel Graphics before reaching the display, reducing performance for apps like vMix.

As a result, we recommend laptops that have direct access to the NVIDIA graphics in order to achieve the best possible performance.

Determining this from the manufacturer specs alone is often extremely difficult, indeed some use to sell two laptops with identical
model numbers but with different graphics configurations.

Enter G-Sync. While vMix itself doesn't use G-Sync or need it, the technology itself requires direct access to the graphics card in order to work.
Thus G-Sync is the way to know if the laptop is going to offer the best possible graphics performance.

Only one small thing to note: some newer G-Sync laptops may still have Optimus available, but will always have a switch in the bios to turn this of.
So be sure to turn it off if purchasing one of these laptops.

tl;dr: G-Sync requires direct GeForce graphics access on Laptops. This bypasses Optimus and is therefore much better for graphics intensive apps like vMix.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

thanks 6 users thanked admin for this useful post.
MWilson on 5/28/2018(UTC), DWAM on 5/28/2018(UTC), avsoundguy on 5/28/2018(UTC), richardgatarski on 5/29/2018(UTC), stigaard on 5/29/2018(UTC), niemi on 5/30/2018(UTC)
MWilson  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2018 4:22:13 PM(UTC)
MWilson

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Very good, thank you very much for the detailed write-up!
thatchrisharper  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2018 4:57:58 PM(UTC)
thatchrisharper

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I just bought a laptop with a GTX 1070 card, but I don't think it has G-Sync. Is the performance difference noticeable enough that I should maybe return this one and get a laptop with G-Sync?

I did go to the NVIDIA Control Panel >> Manage 3D Settings and set the preferred graphics processor to NVIDIA. I wonder if that helps at all.

Chris