logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FAndreas  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2018 5:46:21 AM(UTC)
FAndreas

Groups: Registered
Man

Hello,

I recently did a livestream of an public event outside on a big community place with 3 cams. iPhone, iPad and a Canon HF G40. For iOS devices I build up a solid mesh wifi infrastructure. The iPhone was the mobile cam stabilized with an gimbal and rigged with a Rode Videomicro. Was such a fun. :-)

I used this iOS App for iPhone and iPad. which allows me to directly connect with vMix to receive the stream (pull rtsp). I found only one other App which supports pull rtsp but the video freezes in vMix after a few seconds.

Unfortunately the Live-Reporter app lacks off some features like lock autofocus or higher the bitrate over 2 Mbit/s for 720p. But the app is extremely solid and stable. Not one crash all the time. I wrote the developer a mail with a wishlist. Will see.

It would be so great if (when it's technically possible) Newtek could bring NDI HX to the NDI Camera App. This would be great for so much situations where you have to be mobile but can not guarantee over 50 Mbit/s wifi throughput.

Does somebody knows another good rtsp App for iOS without the need to run a streaming server to receive the streams in vMix?

Regards
Andreas
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2018 10:49:01 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi Andreas

I use NDI apps for iOS and Android regularly without any issue at all with obviously a solid Wifi infrastructure and expertise.

What do you call "a solid mesh wifi infrastructure" ? Please describe...

The Mesh tech is not the best solution to rely on for such things as NDI IMHO.

Do you use tools like iperf3 to check your Wifi speed ?

Based on my gear and setup, I can easily cover a 2500 m² venue and provide from any position a minimum of 200 to 300 Mbits thoughput capacity for each device with roaming. More than enough for a perfect and smooth NDI production using smartphones.

Guillaume
FAndreas  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 11:13:23 AM(UTC)
FAndreas

Man

Hello Guillaume,

I mean strong coverage wherever possible.
And yes I know how to use tools for measuring bandwidth and throughput.

What kind of equipment are you using when you are able to cover such a big place maybe filled with people and achieving reliable 200-300 Mbit/s? Which Smartphones/Tablets?

I am using Ubiquiti Unifi Mesh APs.

I still think that NDI HX would definitely be a benefit for the Smartphone/Tablet App. As lower the bandwidth requirements as better.

Regards
Andreas
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 12:41:46 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

I'm with Ubiquiti too but I keep UAP-AC-M for simple Wifi setups where I only provide public Internet access for events.
For NDI, I make sure to go 5GHz setups only, using multiple UAP-AC-HD where Multi-User MIMO makes a huge difference.
Smartphones are basic ones like Sony Xperia, OnePlus, LG G6 or Samsung. For iOS, anything above 6.

Are all your UPA-AC-M wired ? If not, you're losing a lot of bandwidth already, but I don't think these are appropriate for NDI anyway.

Don't wanna hear about NDI|HX, that's not professional, just marketing bullshit
seerola  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 3:53:36 PM(UTC)
seerola

Hi,
I have the same need for rtsp client for iphone/android. I have also Unifi-AC-M and I run large area outdoor events and not using wired nodes. The AC-M's are actually also powered with batteries so no cabling. I have been using LArix broadcaster with an RTMP server. That setup works fairly reliably, but the delay is around 5s. For some types of shots it's OK, but often not. Additionally in win10 the vmix CPU load get's very high if you have more RTMP streams and this is an other reason to search for an rtsp app. LiveReporter app feels quite stable, but there are the issues with missing focus-lock and fixed streaming bitrates etc. Not clearly made for broadcasting.

Any other apps for iOS?

Br, Severi
mjgraves  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 12:52:30 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
seerola wrote:

Not clearly made for broadcasting.

Hang on here. Some context. You're talking about an free or cheap RTSP app for a mobile phone over consumer grade Wi-Fi.

NONE OF THAT WAS MADE FOR BROADCASTING.

FWIW, I see more diversity of such apps in the android world. There are even some that support USB connected cameras or capture devices, making an Android phone into a wireless video link.

Also, does the above thread really discuss a Wi-Fi "mesh" or just a private Wi-Fi installation for the event? Mesh is more about the convenience of not having wired backhaul for all the APs. Even though that is the way to ensure better performance.
DWAM  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 1:03:54 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
Mesh is more about the convenience of not having wired backhaul for all the APs.

At the expense of losing half the available bandwidth on each AP. Mesh tech should not be used for video production at all, it's barely usable for good web surfing

Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
mjgraves on 8/31/2018(UTC)
DWAM  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 1:14:12 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Regarding apps, I'm not a iOS fanboy but NDI apps for iOS work great. I prefer the one from Sienna over Newtek's but they're both OK.

On Android, Newtek NDI Cam is valuable though the app could be more professional for better control over the image quality. Requires a very powerful Wifi infrastructure as I said already. I already had 5 devices simultaneously providing flawless 720p to vMix.

Many other apps can feed vMix directly using different protocols below 1 second latency.

I like "RTSP Camera Server" (there is also "RTMP Camera" from the same developper but needs obviously an RTMP server in between)
Also "Screen Stream Mirroring" which unlike its name implies also uses the camera to stream. It's I think the most complete and interesting streaming app for android as it handles many streaming protocols with complete settings for many use cases.
Also "CamON Live Streaming" which is aiming at video spying (runs as an invisible service, allowing remote viewing dicretely) but streams very well when used for professional productions. It's just important to realize it was not designed for this

Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
mjgraves on 8/31/2018(UTC)
mjgraves  
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2018 11:58:54 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
My issue with the NDI camera apps is their reliance upon Wi-Fi in the face of their requirement for quite a bit of bandwidth.

I've had good results with NDI Camera for Android on a Pixel on a Wi-Fi network that I control.

If I did't control the network or used lesser hardware I'd be worried.

OTOH, I'd be curious to see what could be done with something like the Logitech Rally USB PTZ camera connected to an Android box with Ethernet, running NDI camera.
livepad  
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 9, 2018 2:35:16 PM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
mjgraves wrote:
My issue with the NDI camera apps is their reliance upon Wi-Fi in the face of their requirement for quite a bit of bandwidth..

Apps like Sienna NDICam on iPhone also work great with common lightning to ethernet adaptors. eliminates WIFI entirely.
m-garanin  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 4:31:51 PM(UTC)
m-garanin

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)

you can use RTMP to NDI convertor (called RTMP Mini Server). So workflow is:

1) iPhone: LarixBroadcaster or Trikaster Live Air Solo or any free RTMP mobile encoder
2) RTMPMiniServer
3) vMix.
thanks 2 users thanked m-garanin for this useful post.
SHMD on 4/30/2019(UTC), RobLambert on 12/14/2019(UTC)