logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BentRS  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 1:29:30 PM(UTC)
BentRS

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have a Ruby build PC with VMix, and I try to find a way to use NewTek Telestrator - but I am a bit lost on the workflow and ask here for guidance.

I have installed the Telestrator test version on a Surface 4Pro (as I hoped this would be good to use in combination with the Telestrator) - and I have connected the Surface (with VMix desktop capture) through HDMI into an Elgato HD60 PRO capture card - in the "Ruby/VMix PC. I can connect the Surface to the VMix PC and the input from the Elgato is found as a Camera input in VMix - and I can also make an NDI output from VMix, that is found by the Telestrator - but I can not find a way to make any video run in the Telestrator.

I can make one input with the drawing from the Telestrator, but I can not make the drawing come on top of any video as intended - and I am not at all sure about the basic workflow regarding where Telestrator really should be installed - from where the video should be runned (and how to make this happen).

I have searched for tutorials, but have not really found so much I could use to solve this, so any guidance would be appreciated...

Kind regards
Bent Rune
kane  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 2:08:33 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
BentRS wrote:
I have a Ruby build PC with VMix, and I try to find a way to use NewTek Telestrator - but I am a bit lost on the workflow and ask here for guidance.

I have installed the Telestrator test version on a Surface 4Pro (as I hoped this would be good to use in combination with the Telestrator) - and I have connected the Surface (with VMix desktop capture) through HDMI into an Elgato HD60 PRO capture card - in the "Ruby/VMix PC. I can connect the Surface to the VMix PC and the input from the Elgato is found as a Camera input in VMix - and I can also make an NDI output from VMix, that is found by the Telestrator - but I can not find a way to make any video run in the Telestrator.

I can make one input with the drawing from the Telestrator, but I can not make the drawing come on top of any video as intended - and I am not at all sure about the basic workflow regarding where Telestrator really should be installed - from where the video should be runned (and how to make this happen).

I have searched for tutorials, but have not really found so much I could use to solve this, so any guidance would be appreciated...

Kind regards
Bent Rune

I'm not familiar with vMix, but I can describe how the basic NDI Telestrator workflow would operate.

1. You need to have your Telestrator background, this can either be a source itself or a clean feed set as a secondary output from the switcher.

2. In NDI Telestrator, click on the triangle icon in the upper right corner of the screen, this will open up more options and you can choose your NDI background source in the drop down list. Once selected it should appear after a few seconds.

3. Now you can draw in NDI Telestrator, anything you draw is output as a NDI source with alpha channel.

4. In vMix (or other NDI supporting video switcher) bring in the NDI output from NDI Telestrator.

5. Use the overlay capability (down stream key) to put the NDI Telestrator source over the switcher output.

That should be it.

If you aren't seeing video in the background of NDI Telestrator, make sure the GPU drivers are up to date.

If you aren't seeing NDI video to choose, make sure the system isn't in a 'Public' type network or than any other firewall is blocking traffic.

Are you using wired or WiFi? I would highly recommend wired networking, a USB to Gigabit Ethernet adapter is a good way to add this to system that doesn't have a wired Ethernet connector.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
thanks 1 user thanked kane for this useful post.
BentRS on 5/2/2018(UTC)
MikeBenke  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 6:06:25 PM(UTC)
MikeBenke

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Everything Kane said sounds right to me. I bought a MS Surface for NAB and it worked great with the Panamation Telestrator and vMix when using with the USB to GigE adapter. (no RJ45 connector on the surface I had).

Unfortunately at the show, I really struggled with doing NDI Wirelessly, especially when disconnecting the monitor from the base... Which was the whole reason I bought that particular laptop. A shame because it worked at home in my own controlled environment. If I had more time I maybe could have figured it out but here is the important thing for any enterprising IT folks listening in... I would have paid ransom money to get that to work right on the show floor... $250 an hour? OK. Just please make it work!

Kane, not sure If you hear this from anyone else, but NewTek would do well to offer a rep to come by and check in on how the NDI stuff is working. Most will probably say Great! a few will have there head under a table at the verge of crying while trying to reset a wireless router to it's default settings.. (a ball point pen doesn't fit in that hole)

I digress,

NewTek's Telestrator is the Cadillac of NDI Telestrators... If you'd like to check out the Chevy, feel free to do so here (just kidding, ours is pretty great too, just different great):

www.panamndi.com/Downloads/PanamHD.exe

It will ask for a serial key, just leave it blank and that puts it in Demo mode. There is like 2 weeks left until I bake another one.

there is a forum on that page as well with how-to's, links to demo vids etc. etc.

thanks 2 users thanked MikeBenke for this useful post.
BentRS on 5/2/2018(UTC), sinc747 on 5/3/2018(UTC)
livepad  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2018 4:21:08 AM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
MikeBenke wrote:
Everything Kane said sounds right to me. I bought a MS Surface for NAB and it worked great with the Panamation Telestrator and vMix when using with the USB to GigE adapter. (no RJ45 connector on the surface I had).

Unfortunately at the show, I really struggled with doing NDI Wirelessly, especially when disconnecting the monitor from the base... Which was the whole reason I bought that particular laptop. A shame because it worked at home in my own controlled environment. If I had more time I maybe could have figured it out but here is the important thing for any enterprising IT folks listening in... I would have paid ransom money to get that to work right on the show floor... $250 an hour? OK. Just please make it work!

Kane, not sure If you hear this from anyone else, but NewTek would do well to offer a rep to come by and check in on how the NDI stuff is working. Most will probably say Great! a few will have there head under a table at the verge of crying while trying to reset a wireless router to it's default settings.. (a ball point pen doesn't fit in that hole)

I digress,

NewTek's Telestrator is the Cadillac of NDI Telestrators... If you'd like to check out the Chevy, feel free to do so here (just kidding, ours is pretty great too, just different great):

www.panamndi.com/Downloads/PanamHD.exe

It will ask for a serial key, just leave it blank and that puts it in Demo mode. There is like 2 weeks left until I bake another one.

there is a forum on that page as well with how-to's, links to demo vids etc. etc.

For everyone who has ever tried to use WIFI at a trade show - we salute you.

Realistically the trade show environment is so awash with competing routers, and thousands of iPhones, its not surprising you had trouble.

After many years struggling with the same thing we came up with the solution - a directional antenna. Basically point it at where you are standing, and you would be astonished at the difference it makes.

I can't say we ever tried 100mBit NDI on that but at a trade show it can be hard to even check your email over Wifi, so perhaps its just a bad idea generally.

kane  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2018 9:16:36 AM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
MikeBenke wrote:
Kane, not sure If you hear this from anyone else, but NewTek would do well to offer a rep to come by and check in on how the NDI stuff is working.

All you need to is to come by our booth and ask for help. There are too many NDI vendors to be able to check on all of them, not to mention we are busy trying to get a large booth setup for the show ourselves. I helped a few other booths with NDI before the show started.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
MikeBenke  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2018 1:32:14 PM(UTC)
MikeBenke

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thanks for the offer Kane! I will send you a PM with more ideas about how NewTek/preferred vendors could monetize this important service.
BentRS  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2018 7:28:18 PM(UTC)
BentRS

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank you very much for this overview Kane,

I have now got into the basic workflow.

Kind regards
Bent Rune